The Arrogance of High Expectations

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The Arrogance of High Expectations

On a perfect day, I would be an IV-starting, bag-carrying narc mule of a paramedic for a high-speed EMT. Odd statement, I know, but hear me out. I don’t want a partner who is trained and conditioned to be a driver, a subordinate and an assistant. I want a partner who is trained in the mission of a paramedic, believes in it and is of the mindset that we are there to help people. I want a partner who is knowledgeable enough to confidently and correctly assess a patient- any patient, a master of their scope of practice and its correct application and treats every part of their job, to include driving the ambulance, with the same attention to detail and import that I do. I want someone who has at least a working knowledge of the medications we carry, protocols we work under and operational policies we have. I want a partner who can treat a patient to the limits of their scope of practice and is able and willing to formulate a treatment plan and involve me in it for the ‘advanced’ paramedic stuff. I want a partner who can review calls with me and see where we can both improve our practices. I want a partner that’s receptive to learning. That’s what I want in an EMT. That’s what I want in a partner, regardless of their patch, time served or title. I want a partner who is every bit as good a paramedic as I am. That’s a really, really arrogant thing to say, requesting excellence and all. Maybe I should just hand out some trophies for showing up and accept that we’ve peaked in our quality of service the day we graduated our academies and FTO rides. Remember, it’s arrogant to ask for more, it'll hurt feelings and question paradigms.

If it is arrogant and alienates my peers to actually help people and do my job to both the letter and the spirit of the directives of the doctor(s) whom I practice under, then I suppose I should accept that and the title "Paragod". If it is unpopular to have this attitude, then so be it. I would rather be a proud, unapologetic Paragod than I would a substandard fear and myth-driven provider who can do little more than drive a big, inefficient taxi that runs on a broken payment system and borrowed time. If it makes me a “sucker”, “dangerous”, “incompetent” or “douchy” to hold myself to those standards that the rest of medicine aspires to, then I guess I’m that guy. Better that then the popular "good" guy.

We don’t have to fight, though, if you don't want to live in my dream world. I’ll do me, you do you. And when you’re still being treated like an ambulance driver by your employer thanks to your attitude, I’ll be pondering whether or not I gave that patient the best, most appropriate service possible and how to spend the extra pay that comes from the responsibility I’ve earned. If you’re really lucky, you might get to drive the ambulance while I wonder if I’ve given enough fentanyl or whether I should try something different. If you’re a partner, you’ll be an active part of that decision and we’ll both do it together. If you’re not, driving does take a lot of attention. And because a true Paragod never passes up a chance for more followers, I'll keep preaching and remain willing to help you be me. Take that as you will.

-The Paragods

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Some of the people you will soon be working with are ambulance-driving members of the Anti-Progress League.

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Half of my life was on an EMT/Paramedic rig. I'd never go back no matter how much you paid me. Dual Medic Rig is the only way to go in my opinion.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Sounds like you desperately need a good partner. I was lucky enough to have a few really good, proficient EMT partners in my career. They make all the difference in the world.

Finding someone who is progressive, dedicated, detail oriented and also easy to work with is all too often a rare occurrence. And don't worry, the paragod complex will pass, even if it makes you somewhat insufferable in the meantime. :)

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Sounds like you desperately need a good partner. I was lucky enough to have a few really good, proficient EMT partners in my career. They make all the difference in the world.

Finding someone who is progressive, dedicated, detail oriented and also easy to work with is all too often a rare occurrence. And don't worry, the paragod complex will pass, even if it makes you somewhat insufferable in the meantime. :)

Oh, I had a great partner, hoping this new one is what I want. But some of the others are goddamned morons. Yes, retards, I will go OOS to restock the Fentanyl. That is why we carry multiple vials, and telling a patient "sorry, we used it on the last call, you don't really need it" is just as acceptable as "you don't deserve this indicated care."

If you believe the idiots I work with like Gavin Beck or John Henney, though, actually treating patients with pain medication is grounds to go piss in a cup.

https://www.facebook.com/TheMostInterestingAmbulanceCrewInOklahomaCity

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Amazing that people like that blithely post there thinly veiled threats.

I've got to think that the company is aware of that…

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Geez, Rocket, not picky are we?

Got your next or first wife here for you too.

bo-dereck.jpg

When I used to get that way, someone usually had to point out that it was time to cool my jets and figure out exactly who was putting the burr in my britches. I wholly sympathize, as some of my earlier rants about co-workers indicate.

Once you get past the training periods, Life is usually a matter of sorting the raisins from the dead flies.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I want a partner who is every bit as good a paramedic as I am. That’s a really, really arrogant thing to say, requesting excellence and all.
I have no doubt that is part of the reason that your coworkers don't like you. From all your sermons it becomes clear that not only are you so arrogant as to know that you are an excellent paramedic no matter what and nobody else is, but that if anyone does something different from what you perceive to be the right thing, they are wrong.

Nothing more than arrogance coupled with a "my way or the highway" attitude.

Pot...meet kettle.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

When you're simply competent in a sea of substandard, it's easy to be awesome, Trimal-04.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
When you're simply competent in a sea of substandard, it's easy to be awesome, Trimal-04.
As I said:

I have no doubt that is part of the reason that your coworkers don't like you. From all your sermons it becomes clear that not only are you so arrogant as to know that you are an excellent paramedic no matter what and nobody else is, but that if anyone does something different from what you perceive to be the right thing, they are wrong.

Nothing more than arrogance coupled with a "my way or the highway" attitude.

Pot...meet kettle.
Pay attention to the bolded portion.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
As I said:

From what I've read from him here and other places, when they do things that are substandard care, and that is the deviation from what he perceives to be the right thing (read: an adequate level of care) then he would be in the right. He's a damned good guy and a smart medic. Honestly, I agree with him for the most part.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
As I said:

The right way or the highway looks a lot like "my way" or the highway when you have one progressive guy in the middle of the 1970s.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
The right way or the highway looks a lot like "my way" or the highway when you have one progressive guy in the middle of the 1970s.

Seconded. But don't get stuck in the same swamp, you can always lobby for change. I've seen many many changes over the years, often beginning with just one person going to the medical director and saying, "what if…"

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I've worked with her sisters and brothers.

Rocket, I wish your dreams come true.
images

ProZack

Forum Ride Along
As a newb to both this forum and EMS, Rocket, you are the partner I can only hope to have. I see alot of what you say as not being arrogant about yourself but your profession. I have high goals for myself in this career and will settle for nothing less than the best. Not for my own personal ego, but the fact in knowning that when I go home after every shift, I can say I learned something new and that with each and every call, my partner and I gave the very best patient care!! I would much rather be in the back helping and learning and giving the best damn patient care as a team.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Well thanks ProZack.

DerekC

Forum Crew Member
RocketMedic: If it makes you feel any better. There are 28 new people in Academy right now. 21 Medics, 6 EMT, and 1 A-EMT.