the 100% directionless thread

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Check out the tactical barbell books. There are 3 books that completely cover various styles of block periodization and how to layout plans for different goals and how to work them together to accomplish something. The format has done well for me this past year, I think I've added something like 65lbs to my deadlift in the last 2 blocks and I haven't been doing much of that lift.
Good call, man. Bought the strength book on Kindle today and read almost the whole thing already. Looking forward to trying out the template. Thanks for the suggestion.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Good call, man. Bought the strength book on Kindle today and read almost the whole thing already. Looking forward to trying out the template. Thanks for the suggestion.
I did Operator I/A for my last strength block for 9 weeks or so because I know I can tolerate volume fairly well and it worked very well for me. There's a subreddit and website with a forum you can use should you wanna ask specific questions or something. There's a ton of good info in the books and on reddit. Get a few blocks in and you'll get a feel for how to set things up and tweak it to suit you.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I passed trauma, now onto summer cardiology.

I'm already getting started on the homework.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey, nice! So even though our 600 square mile County has roughly 1 million people at any given time (residents plus tourists), our EMS has 19 ambulances staffed 24 hours a day, with 2 staffed 12 hours. Those two 12 hour units will both soon be upped to 24 hour staffing as well this summer.

Personally I think they could/should add at least a couple more units on top of that (we really should have at least 25 IMO)

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Looking on info for alchohol rehab for a family member.

Does anyone know if these
Hey, nice! So even though our 600 square mile County has roughly 1 million people at any given time (residents plus tourists), our EMS has 19 ambulances staffed 24 hours a day, with 2 staffed 12 hours. Those two 12 hour units will both soon be upped to 24 hour staffing as well this summer.

Personally I think they could/should add at least a couple more units on top of that (we really should have at least 25 IMO)
How often do you hit level 0?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
How often do you hit level 0?
That idk, but a casual look at the CAD at the moment shows 16 of the 21 units actively on calls at the moment. And that's not at all unusual to see either...

They've also just recently instituted a new policy where Dispatch is supposed to inform companies when EMS has a greater than 30 min response time

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well then. Responded to a medical clinic for a 95YOM unconscious patient. Meet the Doctor in the hallway outside the exam room, and he very calmly, matter of factly informs is that "Yeah, our patient just expired"

Like what?? Expired? Like he's in cardiac arrest? Yup... but he has a DNR. A properly filled, signed and dated DNR, that they have a hard copy to give us, so yeah, cue an awkward several minutes of us just kinda standing there, waiting on EMS heh 🙃

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Well then. Responded to a medical clinic for a 95YOM unconscious patient. Meet the Doctor in the hallway outside the exam room, and he very calmly, matter of factly informs is that "Yeah, our patient just expired"

Like what?? Expired? Like he's in cardiac arrest? Yup... but he has a DNR. A properly filled, signed and dated DNR, that they have a hard copy to give us, so yeah, cue an awkward several minutes of us just kinda standing there, waiting on EMS heh 🙃
Just for us to pass that down the line to PD...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Just for us to pass that down the line to PD...
Yeah it was funny, the Doc actually asked us "Sooo... what's the protocol here? Do the cops have to come, or the ME or what?" and we were just like "Um yeah, we have no real idea, that's EMS's lane, they can tell you who they need to call. Like if the patient died at home, there'd be cops... but at an actual medical facility, no idea..."

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
That's pretty much my assumption, but outside the purview of our ops so idk. I do know that as soon as they showed up, the Medics cleared us, and before we got back to station we got dispatched to yet another call (and they had to call Fed Fire for an ambulance because City&County EMS didn't have an available unit for that one)

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Anybody in San Bernadino? Any recommended places to see or eat?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Got my first EMS week bag. Water bottle, hard candies, lip balm, and a pen. Wasn’t working EMS week last year due to how my schedule was. Also getting my first EMS week t-shirt. Kind of whacker of me to be happy about all of this I know.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
Anybody in San Bernadino? Any recommended places to see or eat?
Redlands is a beautiful city with lots of great food. I wish we could of afforded to stay there before choosing to leave CA.

Yelp it, but my recommendations are...

La Volata ( Italian & my personal favorite)
MU (Thai)
Gourmet Pizza
The State
Cope House
Olive Ave
Rock N Fondue
Olive and Citrus

*** Some of these are more up scale places but all are very tasty ***