the 100% directionless thread

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I was a coxswain...had a sick sense of satisfaction to see the oarsmen barfing over the gunnels after a 2000 m sprint...that we lost....
I remember one race where a guy passed out the second they crossed the finish line.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Have I mentioned how much I despise the van style ambulances?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Death to the rowing machine. I did competitive rowing in high school.

And most people use them wrong.
Hi. I am most people (probably).

My goal is a long aerobic base build followed by some speed work. Trying to see a sub 7 minute mile on my run. Subsequently found that an easy bike pace does wonders for recovery when the legs are a bit sore in adding all this stuff.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, the discussion about was a few weeks ago on here, but last night we cut apart a car for reals. Pretty sure that was the first time since Recruit Training I actually cut a real car

(Some older Honda 4 door sedan, might even been a hatchback, stopped at the light, wife diving buckled up, husband sleeping off partying with the boys in the back seat, not buckled in... Jeep came up behind them, driver apparently should have been sleeping off his party but wasn't, and slammed full on into the Honda...

Wife who was buckled, some bumps and bruises and otherwise physically fine, husband... doing a very good imitation of a contortionist on the floor in between rear bench and front seat, where his head was up under the front seat and body curled around in a way that made us wonder how the heck his neck wasn't straight snapped...)

Normally Auto Ex is a multi company assignment here, almost as much as a 1st alarm fire, 3 companies with a BC, but the call didn't come in as an Extrication, just a regular Auto Accident so it was just our Engine. Luckily we have the battery powered e-draulic tools, popped open the rear door, and patient was able to slide more or less straight out onto the backboard from there

Then of course after a few minutes of cutting and whatnot, came the cleanup as what seemed like every drop of oil and coolant and whatnot from both vehicles was now in the middle of the main intersection... took an hour, emptying out all the absorbent we had. And it was starting to rain on us.
And did I mention this whole shebang was 3am? Fun times lol

But at least my Fitbit was convinced I had practically a full day's worth of steps and whatnot so yay haha

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Had to come work some part time hours to appreciate my new pace (and meet my requirements). Back again tomorrow for more. Having the last few months to slow down and decompress a bit has done wonders.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hi. I am most people (probably).

My goal is a long aerobic base build followed by some speed work. Trying to see a sub 7 minute mile on my run. Subsequently found that an easy bike pace does wonders for recovery when the legs are a bit sore in adding all this stuff.
One of my fitness goals is also a 7 minute mile. I'm quite a ways from that. I have been doing a lot of treadmill work lately, and as much as most people hate the treadmill, I actually like it. I've also been doing some stuff with kettlebells. I want to start lifting again too, so I'm trying to figure out a way to balance frequent treadmill workouts with several times per week bodyweight / KB workouts and 1-2x per week full-body barbell sessions. Thinking about doing my treadmill workouts in the morning before work and then doing the rest in the evening 3-4 days per week. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I used to have a C2 "E" model rower and I didn't use it much so I sold it during COVID last year. My wife has since gotten pretty into CrossFit and rowing is one of her favorite exercises, so she keeps giving me crap for selling it.

PotatoMedic

One of my fitness goals is also a 7 minute mile. I'm quite a ways from that. I have been doing a lot of treadmill work lately, and as much as most people hate the treadmill, I actually like it. I've also been doing some stuff with kettlebells. I want to start lifting again too, so I'm trying to figure out a way to balance frequent treadmill workouts with several times per week bodyweight / KB workouts and 1-2x per week full-body barbell sessions. Thinking about doing my treadmill workouts in the morning before work and then doing the rest in the evening 3-4 days per week. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I used to have a C2 "E" model rower and I didn't use it much so I sold it during COVID last year. My wife has since gotten pretty into CrossFit and rowing is one of her favorite exercises, so she keeps giving me crap for selling it.
Tell her to do a 10k. Then ask her how much fun it is.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I hate exercise.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This is my happy place.
6953120A-9496-45E7-A103-AA06031CF047.jpeg

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well 2nd Watch saw our "up at 3 am till 0530" and had to raise us with "dispatched to a brush fire at 0030 and didn't get back to station until 0600" lol

PotatoMedic

I won’t suggest that. She’s pretty smart and only a moron would row for 10k.
Yeah I hated walking into the boat house and seeing a 10k as the workout before going out on the water.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief

Check out the tactical barbell books. There are 3 books that completely cover various styles of block periodization and how to layout plans for different goals and how to work them together to accomplish something. The format has done well for me this past year, I think I've added something like 65lbs to my deadlift in the last 2 blocks and I haven't been doing much of that lift.