the 100% directionless thread

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I put my 2 weeks notice because I am gonna start the new job the beginning of next month. I was looking to see if there was any night crew (no night crew = 15 minutes extra sleep for me). Just saw that I am off the schedule at the end of this month. It's getting real! I've been with my current company for just slightly over 5 years. Kind of painful to be leaving even if I am doing something new and exciting.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I put my 2 weeks notice because I am gonna start the new job the beginning of next month. I was looking to see if there was any night crew (no night crew = 15 minutes extra sleep for me). Just saw that I am off the schedule at the end of this month. It's getting real! I've been with my current company for just slightly over 5 years. Kind of painful to be leaving even if I am doing something new and exciting.
Now all you have to do is start a thread in the HEMS sub forum.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So those PAPR they promised us sometime last year finally arrived...

Attachments

• 20210414_140051.jpg
    20210414_140051.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
This thing ain't that bad actually, kinda neat.

Attachments

• 20210414_142232.jpg
    20210414_142232.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well that's the official guidance we have is to wear a surgical or N95 mask with the PAPR, and even the don/doff demonstration video they made shows that. 🤷🏼‍♂️

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Well that's the official guidance we have is to wear a surgical or N95 mask with the PAPR, and even the don/doff demonstration video they made shows that. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Kind of defeats the purpose of a positive pressure system. but...oh well. None of my staff wore masks with PAPR. Either all these Docs were wrong and we all are stupid or someone changed something. 3M?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It's 3M. I thinks it's more a Departmental thing than any actual medical guidelines. Basically everyone's reaction in the Station was more or less along the same lines of "Then what the point? Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of wearing this thing?"

So.... I guess we'll see if guys either bother with this thing at all.... or just ignore that particular rule heh.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Had some Armidillo Willy's BBQ tonight. Ate outside next to burning fire. Good times.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You don’t wear a mask inside a PAPR.
PAPRs protect you from the patient. They don’t protect the patient from you. In the realms of possibility it may be possible for a healthcare provider to have an asymptotic case of COVID and while breathing/coughing/sneezing/talking the air pressure from the PAPR pushes it out from the mask and now infects the patient.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
PAPRs protect you from the patient. They don’t protect the patient from you. In the realms of possibility it may be possible for a healthcare provider to have an asymptotic case of COVID and while breathing/coughing/sneezing/talking the air pressure from the PAPR pushes it out from the mask and now infects the patient.
That's essentially the logic used here. That's what they said when told we were not to use those N95s with the exhale vents for patient care

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Got an interview for the ED tech job on Monday and work is giving me a second shot at the 911 gig they have.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
True but wearing a mask doesn’t prevent your exhaled air from being expelled from the PAPR....

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
According to the Department, we're still supposed to wear a "surgical-type mask, as exhaled air is not filtered air."

Our policy forbids wearing a mask underneath. The rationale we had is that if you have any virus on the outside of your mask the positive flow could dislodge it from the mask and allow it to be breathed in around the mask or expelled from the PAPR.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
True but wearing a mask doesn’t prevent your exhaled air from being expelled from the PAPR....
No but if you are infected the mask “should” filter your exhaled breath before the PAPR pushes it out.