the 100% directionless thread

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Bought a new oven. Stainless steel, free delivery/ installation, new hose and fittings, plus they'll haul away my old oven... all for under $700. Adulting.
I've been moving in to my new apartment. Heavy *** queen bed frame and accompanying set of furniture up to the loft is work. Glad I dont have to touch it for 12 more months.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Last day on the kelly schedule till I move to my new weird schedule. I've been on a kelly for so long it'll take some getting used to

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I don't think its really a Kelly, but thats what everyone around here generically it. Its an work, off, work, off, work, off for 4 days.
Wanna trade for 24/48 with elements of SSM?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Got disregarded a few times
Got a few calls
Disregard
Call
Call
Clear
At station

Etc etc

We responded to a fire. But FF already had it pretty knocked down when we got there

A few medical calls

1 MVC refused transport

Saw my first dead body.

>Went to autoped
>Possible full arrest
>Everyone is getting amped
>DOA with rigor and ants on him

I mean his spine was bent backwards. He got folded over. Bones coming through his arm. His shorts were knocked to his ankles.

That made me pretty mad.

More calls. Finally at 0200 we got some rest. Till shift change.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Water is wet, yes.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I don't think its really a Kelly, but thats what everyone around here generically it. Its an work, off, work, off, work, off for 4 days.

Our old system was:
4 on, 4 off, 6 on, 4 off, 4 on, 6 off.
So in a twenty eight day period, you worked 14, off 14. Two 4 day off blocks, and a 6 day off block. Basically a week's vacation every month.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Our old system was:
4 on, 4 off, 6 on, 4 off, 4 on, 6 off.
So in a twenty eight day period, you worked 14, off 14. Two 4 day off blocks, and a 6 day off block. Basically a week's vacation every month.
For a 6 month period at AMR I worked 6 days straight (13 hours shifts as scheduled) and had 8 days off in a row. Thats still my favorite schedule that Ive ever had.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Still thinking on the DOS.

My FTO and his partner wasn't phased, naturally.

But I dunno. We didn't even really talk about it at all.

I keep a calm demeanor about things like that and internalize most of my thoughts, but there wasn't a sit-down to talk about our calls. Occasionally a talk in the truck about little things but never any more formal one on one "debrief"

Do I have much to say? I dunno. I just kinda wish he'd put himself in my shoes I guess.

I was not physically sickened in any way. No nausea or anything. But just thinking about it and the whole thing.

I dunno.

What would you do in that position if you are the FTO? Do you wait for your trainee to look uncomfortable or speak up? Do you look to nip things in the bud and have a conversation. I don't know what's normal in most of these settings.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Do a mental review, look at what went right and what could have been done better. Ask your FTO what you could have done better.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
We showed up when he was stiff and dead. Nothing could have been done. He was dead dead
With life, there is death. People die. We all will. Sounds like there is literally nothing to do for that person as they were long gone.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Still thinking on the DOS.

My FTO and his partner wasn't phased, naturally.

But I dunno. We didn't even really talk about it at all.

I keep a calm demeanor about things like that and internalize most of my thoughts, but there wasn't a sit-down to talk about our calls. Occasionally a talk in the truck about little things but never any more formal one on one "debrief"

Do I have much to say? I dunno. I just kinda wish he'd put himself in my shoes I guess.

I was not physically sickened in any way. No nausea or anything. But just thinking about it and the whole thing.

I dunno.

What would you do in that position if you are the FTO? Do you wait for your trainee to look uncomfortable or speak up? Do you look to nip things in the bud and have a conversation. I don't know what's normal in most of these settings.
I know there is a lot of talk these days about checking on your coworkers, and crisis intervention, but if you need to debrief, you need to bring it up.