the 100% directionless thread

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
:rofl:

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Just had a pt with the lisinopril (ace inhibitor allergic reaction). His tongue was huge. The medics that were dispatched with us never saw it before. It was insane. I hope it makes it to M+M rounds.

MissK

Forum Crew Member
Just had a pt with the lisinopril (ace inhibitor allergic reaction). His tongue was huge. The medics that were dispatched with us never saw it before. It was insane. I hope it makes it to M+M rounds.

I had a pt like this yesterday. First time I've ever seen it as well.. only recognized it because I read an article on it not too long ago.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Isn't it an allergic-like reaction, but not exactly considered an allergic reaction? I think it was a build up of leukotriene (just like in people who are sensitivr to aspirin)... I think. Also the build up of bradykinin causes coughing. I am gonna look it up right now.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
yes, and O'rlly? I work on a Riv City Unit but we get pulled into MoVal everyday, so I will see you there if I knew who you were! RCRMC is worse than a zoo, people everywhere lol

Damn St Marys.

That is how we have been the last couple of months in Riverside. We will have up to 13! ALS units on bed delays at RCH.

Ya, REMS has been pissed at the hospitals. I have witnessed a nasty phone call they were giving to a charge nurse because of the bed delays.

I was born at Victor Valley General in the hall thanks to bed delays.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Isn't it an allergic-like reaction, but not exactly considered an allergic reaction? I think it was a build up of leukotriene (just like in people who are sensitivr to aspirin)... I think. Also the build up of bradykinin causes coughing. I am gonna look it up right now.

The coughing is bradykinin build up. I remember reading recently that a prophylactic Zantac a week usually prevents the build up.

A few months ago I had 3 patients pretty close together with angioedema. All were long time lisinopril users. First time in 12 years id seen it.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant

The paramedics who were dispatched with us, tried Epi and Benadryl. Both didn't do much for the pt. His airway was okay, but it certainly was scary

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Yeh, cause I don't think it's exactly an allergic reaction. The epinephrine would help if vasodilation and bronchoconstriction is a problem, and bendaryl for histamine, but I think the problem is a build up of something completely different, I just forget and cannot find it on the web right now.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
quzu3yja.jpg

You....

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Is it just me, or is Tapatalk not working? It keeps making me try to log in, and then gives me this error:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 236

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Same ^
Got 6 tubes of blood today from my venipuncture pt. Was pretty happy considering we only have 35 minutes.
I really need to figure out how to not get so worked up about the draws, though. My hand always gets shaky right before a draw and shaky hand + 21 g needle in someone's arm= not good. You'd think after 24 successful sticks on 11 different patients I'd be over it, but nope :angry:
Worst part is trying to pull the vacutainer out. Always end up pulling the whole system, instead of just the tube...
Edit: It finally dawned on me today that I have 5 weeks before I graduate. It's insane :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Double post.
I'll make use of this post anyways. I'm starting to scan the ads for EMT positions when I graduate. What's the difference between an ED tech and a patient care tech? They both require EMT and the job ad doesn't really go in depth, so I'm confused.

BOSlife

Forum Crew Member
I can sympathize. Doing my first venipuncture tomorrow, was just checked off on the skill in my paramedic program.

ED Tech and PCT are one in the same. Every hospital system has a different name for the employees who aren't nurses or doctors or any other clearly defined allied health profession (CVT,Xray,phlebotomist,etc). Since EMTs and Paramedics have useful role in the ED with a wide skill set, we can fill in :)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I can sympathize. Doing my first venipuncture tomorrow, was just checked off on the skill in my paramedic program.

ED Tech and PCT are one in the same. Every hospital system has a different name for the employees who aren't nurses or doctors or any other clearly defined allied health profession (CVT,Xray,phlebotomist,etc). Since EMTs and Paramedics have useful role in the ED with a wide skill set, we can fill in :)

They are certainly not always one in the same. I've applied to both PCT and ED tech jobs within the same hospital. Here PCTs work on the floors and can be either CNAs or EMTs but ED techs are only EMTs. Call and ask if you're unsure and be aware that those jobs can be even more competitive than getting an ambulance gig.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
They are certainly not always one in the same. I've applied to both PCT and ED tech jobs within the same hospital. Here PCTs work on the floors and can be either CNAs or EMTs but ED techs are only EMTs. Call and ask if you're unsure and be aware that those jobs can be even more competitive than getting an ambulance gig.
I can't get an ambo gig, though. That'd be my preference, but you can't work on one until your 21 in Az for insurance purposes. So, it's ER or nothing.
Er tech lists CNA or EMT certification as a requirement, so both have the same req's.
Besides that, if either one of the two hospitals I'm looking at have openings, then I have references in both. My sister/ aunt are both respiratory therapists and have put in 10+ years at their hospitals, so I'm hoping that's my leg up :p lol
Edit: only difference was the ER tech required CNA's that were applying to have 1 year experience.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
40 mile transport to the closest appropriate hospital with a bariatric cardiac case, 12 nitro sprays and aspirin aboard, chest pain partially palliated by nitro, coming out of the sticks with dirt roads. Follow that up with patient remembering that his cardiologist is at the competing chain and the doctor getting pissed at me. Patient then dropped to 12 beats/min with LOC, nurses were still mad I brought him there, as was the md. If you dont want serious patients, dont run a ER.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Back from vacation!

Hey guys I'm back from vacation! Took some pics,
D3E468D4-F9AD-46E5-BD51-419D896E9FFE-4919-0000024D4F140907_zpsabcca919.jpg

BEDAB333-AA43-40ED-8E77-96B9A4DB1CA6-4919-0000024DCD3802AA_zps5b3241dd.jpg

77dsc_0006.gif

If anyone would like information on plane tickets first class, just give me a shout :D