the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why are you trying to prove that one is better than the other before looking at the data?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Why are you trying to prove that one is better than the other before looking at the data?

Well I guess I shouldn't say I'm trying to prove one is better than the other, I'm just trying to find the advantages and disadvantages of both because I need to write a paper on why morphine is better than fentanyl. So far I'm finding that they're pretty comparable.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Morphine tends to be liked more for burns.

Fentanyl honestly is the more suited narcotic for EMS.. quick onset, multiple easy routes of administration, relatively short halflife (so if you get a stupid doctor who freaks out about narcotics with abd pain), less vasoactive properties than morphine...

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Morphine tends to be liked more for burns.

Fentanyl honestly is the more suited narcotic for EMS.. quick onset, multiple easy routes of administration, relatively short halflife (so if you get a stupid doctor who freaks out about narcotics with abd pain), less vasoactive properties than morphine...

Why is morphine like more for burns

Yeah, I've found a couple studies that have said those same things. However, my medical director wants a paper on why morphine is better...

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
However, my medical director wants a paper on why morphine is better...

Maybe he's trying to see if you'll fight on the wrong side of a debate because you were told to...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Maybe he's trying to see if you'll fight on the wrong side of a debate because you were told to...

My thoughts exactly. Why not explain the benefits of both and how they both have their place?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why is morphine like more for burns

No one knows... it just seems to work better. Honestly, probably one of the biggest anecdotal things in medicine that's just accepted. Burn patients tend to get copious amounts of morphine.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Raiders fans: hows it feel to lose to the Broncos!?! In Oakland! Atta way boys! 2-9 we're movin' up! haha

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Fent metabolizes too fast for burns unless it's an infusion.

Write a paper on what the evidence says. Your medical director should respect that personal feelings aside.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I work with eye candy tomorrow. Oh yes!

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I work with eye candy tomorrow. Oh yes!

I bet your partner is telling people the same thing ;)

bigbaldguy

Just walked through all 9 levels of hell in downtown sacramento to get to a grocery store.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Dude just order food.

Or get a car.

bigbaldguy

Dude just order food.

Or get a car.

Going to a grocery store on my overnights is kind of a tradition for me....or maybe more of a habit......ok it's a full blow OCD thing, DON'T JUDGE ME. Besides where else are you going to be offered drugs, sex, and witness two bum fights all in a 4 mile walk. I feel so urban.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Walk up to Reno and I'll treat you to a beer. Sac-town isn't that far away.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well I guess I shouldn't say I'm trying to prove one is better than the other, I'm just trying to find the advantages and disadvantages of both because I need to write a paper on why morphine is better than fentanyl. So far I'm finding that they're pretty comparable.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw[/youtube]

NSEMS

Forum Probie
Finally start Tuesday. 12 hour shift to start things off right. Seems I am working 3 13 hour shifts after that though. Yay for a 3 day work week w/o OT. :)

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

I suppose that could be, however, my medical director is so incredibly against fentanyl it's not even funny. But, I'll just explain the benefits of each and see how that goes.