the 100% directionless thread

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Just ran into a bunch of volley EMS folks on plane. after chatting with them for a while it suddenly became clear why paid folks hold volleys in such low regard. Talk about a bunch of over confident goobers. I get more runs in during a 12 hour shift then they run in 4 twenty four hour shifts a month. GOOBERS!

As a volunteer myself I was blown away by the way these guys were rambling on. One guy carries Valium around in his pocket "just in case" someone has a seizure around him so he can administer it rectally. It wasn't just what they were saying but how they were acting. I think the whole "no life outside of EMS" hits it on the head. Oddly these guys seemed to treat EMS education like a buffet line, they took what they liked and left the rest. They went on and on about how the paid guys at their station wouldn't let them do anything and treated them like they were idiots. I really wanted to tell them "you are idiots". It sounded like the paid guys at their station worked full time at a municipal then were hired by the volly station to basically come and baby sit these guys while they goofed off. It just really made me realize why I sometimes get dismissed as "just a volunteer". I just kind of assumed that most departments were like mine where volunteers were held to the same standards as paid folks for the most part. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was bashing all vollys just that I get why we aren't always taken seriously now.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
The NPA wasn't in the plan I was told about. It was an uncomfortable surprise

How long did it take the students to realize you weren't actually having a seizure? Would have been cool to have a hidden camera and have the students all watch it back afterwards. Bet the ones who froze would have some questions to answer had it been a real seizure.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
How long did it take the students to realize you weren't actually having a seizure? Would have been cool to have a hidden camera and have the students all watch it back afterwards. Bet the ones who froze would have some questions to answer had it been a real seizure.

We had a girl in my class have an asthma attack and I had to drive her to the the fire station down the street. I wonder if it was actually a test. If it was we all failed miserably :)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

After about 5 rescue breaths from the BVM, then my instructor told them. The instructor does something along these lines every year. It gives them a feeling of what it's really going to be like in the real world. They aren't too far into the class yet but it was still a really good learning experience.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
We had a kid (like 8 y/o) as a patient for a practical skills exam once that I was precepting. I walked over to check on a new instructor and thought "That kid is taking the 'toxic exposure' scenario way too far..." until I looked in his mouth and realized he was actually septic from a supraglottic abscess. What's scary is that at least eight student and three instructors before me looked at him and didn't catch it. When our medical director found out....*shudders* Just say I am glad I was not in on that meeting.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
BTW, I apologize if that made no sense.....I've had a lot to drink tonight. LOL

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sigh. Between seeing a sign saying "15 closed @ Cajon pass" (brush fire), trying to figure out why (I should get a smart phone...), stopping at a potentially deadly accident in the middle of nowhere (4 patients, no serious injuries, and right in front of that old abandoned water park), and making it through the traffic at the Cajon pass, a 5 hour drive turned into an 8 hour drive.

A quick note on the accident. There ended up being a paramedic, an EMT (me), and a person with a first aid card who stopped and stayed until EMS and fire showed up. Probably not unsurprisingly, the woman with the first aid card was the one going, "ZOMG, these patients are code 3 and we need to do..." Probably the funniest thing was her obsession with saying that the car probably suffered a "vehicle failure," which caused the roll over.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Riding the engine today. Getting detailed to the airshow, which means 4 hours of sitting in gear, packed up, waiting for a plane crash. At least its only 80 degrees.

I hereby request a standard boring standby...I am sick of drama and catastrophe. Just saying.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Friggin disgusted.

If you haven't seen it yet, search for the youth football team that attacked a referee during a game. Luckily, 4 of the useless excuses for human beings, 3 adults and a 14-yearold, are being charged with felonies for it. Here's to hoping the DA doesn't wimp out and do plea deals...

Pisses me off that people do crap like that. Thank God their team was suspended from the league and disbanded. Useless scum.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Such anger young Linarse :D

... Brown agrees with you BTW

Straight up, if I was on the sidelines, in uniform or not, I would have been in there swinging whatever heavy object I could at those pieces of crap for attacking an innocent person because they disagreed with a call. IN A DAMN GAME.

Done it before, will do it again.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Friggin disgusted.

If you haven't seen it yet, search for the youth football team that attacked a referee during a game. Luckily, 4 of the useless excuses for human beings, 3 adults and a 14-yearold, are being charged with felonies for it. Here's to hoping the DA doesn't wimp out and do plea deals...

Pisses me off that people do crap like that. Thank God their team was suspended from the league and disbanded. Useless scum.

Oh classy sarasota.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
It happens here too, maybe not quite so overtly but Brown knows of what you speak.

You know if you took the same step-in-and-call-out-out-of-lineness mindset you could pick chicks at the bar :D

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
It's been a long week. It is now about 0800 Saturday, my bed awaits, and I don't need to be anywhere for anything till 1800 Sunday night. Thank God!

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
Me too......

Long week-- started a new job part-time w/ a private service and my second day there the owner offered me full-time hours. It's a great opportunity but I never thought it would happen so fast and I'm going to have to tell my other part-time lab job that I'm leaving. They have been really good to me and I'm sad to be leaving them.