the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If the piston did break that will easily cause damage to the cylinder and the engine block itself.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
You might just be better off getting a bike or something in Hawaii. Gas is expensive out there.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I vote ditch the hoopty, throw all of your stuff in a sea train, meet it over there, and figure out your vehicle situation online then make it a priority to look for another one once you hit Hawaii.

Sign after sign for me and I will typically just accept my fate. Sometimes the answers need to be constantly layed out in front of you. This sounds like one of those times. The only one testing you is yourself:).

#PracticalityRules

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
figure out your vehicle situation online then make it a priority to look for another one once you hit Hawaii.

I vote a toyota tacoma. You really won't be needing a full size truck out there.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well my Dakota isn't a full size either (and eco Diesel makes ~30mpg, just sayin')

So, sounds like about $5500 quote from the mechanic to fix up my truck, ~1000 to ship, rounding to account for any other unexpected expenses roughly 7 grand, bleh. Problem is a cursory used car search (using my phone as I'm on shift today), that's about the cheapest used cars on the island I'm seeing right now.
Now I'm sure with a little more Google Go I can find a used pickup for a grand or so put there, but I have to find where to look for those.
Otherwise, even with a blown engine, and shipping, if I can't find a decent used car for less than 6 grand, it's be easier to just fix and ship mine ...i feel like anything I find for a thousand or 2 is going to be significantly older than mine, what sort of reliability am I looking at before I'm having to do the same thing?

Buuuutttttt.......as previously said...signs abound.....and I'm not made of money ha. 2-3 grand was tight but doable, 7 grand? This is pretty much as close to worst case scenario as I can imagine right now (please don't take that as a challenge Murphy, pretty please?)

Oh and my sister just texted that she got laid off from her job.....the family group text is just full of good news today :(

CALEMT

So, sounds like about $5500 quote from the mechanic to fix up my truck, ~1000 to ship, rounding to account for any other unexpected expenses roughly 7 grand, bleh.

With how many miles you have on the truck its costing you more than its currently worth. I like Dodge, but you have to realistically ask yourself how much longer will this truck last? The engine and the transmission are the two breaking points for me. Everything else... well except the differentials (those can get expensive on a 4x4) is a repair that I don't mind paying for and can pay at any given time. I don't know what Honolulu FD pays but its a steady income which can result in a down payment and a low finance rate on a relatively new used truck. FWIW I bought my tacoma with 77k miles for 21k (25k after taxes). The resale value on those trucks is incredible. Even when disaster strikes, the parts on those trucks are a hot commodity. Plus the powertrain has the reliability of a diesel. Those engines will last a long time.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I vote a toyota tacoma. You really won't be needing a full size truck out there.
Make sure you get one with a back up camera so you don't hit a tree while backing up...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Make sure you get one with a back up camera so you don't hit a tree while backing up...
Haha, Pow! Although I have one, and still have dents caused by my wife's lack of a backup camera in her Camry, which took the brunt end and required body work. Tacoma- 1; Camry- 0.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Gas on Oahu is....highly uncheap. If you absolutely must have a car, why not buy a cheap Kia or Nissan in CA and ship that, or just get a motorcycle?

CALEMT

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
don't know what Honolulu FD pays but its a steady income which can result in a down payment and a low finance rate on a relatively new used truck.
Should be about 48K/year or 4K/month.....of that I'm eyeing a 500sqft studio for $1400/month (though still doing lots of research on that front)....so a car payment isn't out of the question per say.....but down payment? 2 grand to fix/ship was right enough with first/last months+security deposit, plus roughly 2grand for movers (I still like the Pods idea, has the flexibility I want...but significantly more expensive than other movers) yeah it's all adding up fast

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_0401.JPG

That moment when you take your kids out only to be right next to another parent struggling with their monsters while yours are mellow yellow.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

CALEMT

IMG_0781.JPG

Mmmmmm this is a tasty burger. Big kahuna burger ain't got nothing on me.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@Jim37F sometimes life sure hands us lemons. With that, just remember the next time you feel this way: while you're "slaving away" at your new career, this is the closest I may ever get to Hawaii, lol:
IMG_0402.JPG

Happy Tiny Friday, brudda..

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah depending on what cheapo used car I end up with, I might end up being "That Guy" who goes and buys a new ride during Academy or Probie year lol

I might have a constant stream of family and friends and McCormick peeps finding excuses to fly out and crash on a couch...cant/won't promise anything, but if the opportunity ever comes up, ya know, don't rule it out, out of hand lol

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I might have a constant stream of family and friends and Hall peeps finding excuses to fly out and crash on a couch...cant/won't promise anything, but if the opportunity ever comes up, ya know, don't rule it out, out of hand lol
Totally cool if I bring my entire family, right?

@CALEMT you didn't think it would be a clean sweep, did you?o_O