the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

CALEMT

Nope, I'm part of the Evil Empire now! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the dark side. The cookies are amazing over here.

Welcome to the dark side. The cookies are amazing over here.

I'll be the judge of that! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Honolulu just called me, passed my medical! They said Orientation is Sat August 5th, Academy start Monday Aug 7th

So what you're saying is that you're gonna fly us EMTlife guys down for your academy graduation right?

But in all seriousness, congrats!! Enjoy.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm more of a brownie, and Rice Krispies treats guy myself.
What about brookies? Supposedly a combination of a brownie and a cookie....but everytime I've had one I haven't been able to figure out what makes it different from a regular brownie lol

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So what you're saying is that you're gonna fly us EMTlife guys down for your academy graduation right?

But in all seriousness, congrats!! Enjoy.
Hahahaha, I could afford to fly your guys Space-A.....maybe..... lol

But in all seriousness, I need to find a place to move sometime in the next month and a half before Academy. My dad has already suggested putting in my 2 weeks at McCormick now. I opened up the rooms for rent page on Craigslist just to kinda look around (it's not exactly what I'd consider the primo website for finding a place to live but hey) and I actually saw an ad for a loft, smallish, 320sq ft for $1300/month, but is pet friendly, has a kitchenette, laundry in building, assigned covered parking spot and even a little balcony, seems decent-ish, but from a guy who went from home to barracks, to back home I'm a bit clueless on if that's good or not lol

Oh yeah, I also have to figure out moving my pickup to the island, Honolulu's mass transit isn't much better than LA's lol.

There's no Wells Fargo out there, but there is PenFed whom I have an old dormant account with (they wanted one opened when I got my auto loan) so that shouldn't be an issue.

Oh yeah, then there's the whole question of the Reserves. As of right now, I have 11 months left on my current contract (I ETS in May of 2018). While I haven't yet gotten detailed information on HFD's Academy, the range of 26-34 weeks long would put graduation around April which is when they graduated the previous class earlier this year, so I feel comfortable until told otherwise to expect to graduate HFD's Academy around April, so a month or so before I'm supposed to get out of the Army Reserve. I do not expect I'll be able to do monthly drills, especially not at my current unit in San Diego, and unlike McCormick, I can't just give the Army 2 weeks notice lol There are options, but I still gotta figure that stuff out.....

Those are the big immediate issues to move prior to Academy in August (I don't think it'd be smart to wait until just before Academy to actually move lol)......For others that have made such cross-country moves, any other issues (besides address changes with the post office and banks, etc) should I be aware of?

CALEMT

My dad has already suggested putting in my 2 weeks at McCormick now.

Yeah...

I opened up the rooms for rent page on Craigslist just to kinda look around (it's not exactly what I'd consider the primo website for finding a place to live but hey) and I actually saw an ad for a loft, smallish, 320sq ft for $1300/month, but is pet friendly, has a kitchenette, laundry in building, assigned covered parking spot and even a little balcony, seems decent-ish, but from a guy who went from home to barracks, to back home I'm a bit clueless on if that's good or not lol

From one clueless guy to another, I personally would look on a website and not Craigslist. Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, I also have to figure out moving my pickup to the island, Honolulu's mass transit isn't much better than LA's lol.

Good luck.

I can't just give the Army 2 weeks notice lol There are options, but I still gotta figure that stuff out.....

Thats still a ways away, but maybe inform someone right now so that this isn't a big surprise in the future?

Those are the big immediate issues to move prior to Academy in August (I don't think it'd be smart to wait until just before Academy to actually move lol)

Definitely move well enough ahead of the academy. That gives you time to fix any problems associated with moving. It allows you to get settled in while you're not busy at the academy. Plus you get "the lay of the land" of where things/ places are. You have more ample time to kinda explore and learn the area. Again, my 2 cents.

For others that have made such cross-country moves, any other issues (besides address changes with the post office and banks, etc) should I be aware of?

Little different from where I'll be in (hopefully) 7-10 months. I mean you just can't load up a u-haul and go like I'm planning on doing lol. Im just going to guess that shipping all your stuff out there is going to be a ***** and a half.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@Jim37F Zillow my man. Thats what i'm using to find new houses and stuff

CALEMT

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Hmm. There's a clinical educator and multiple OM positions open at AMR Texas and I am thinking of applying for one. But Abilene....IDK.

On the one hand, I have to start somewhere if I want to do management stuff, but I dunno if I'm experienced enough for some of the jobs, and although I have no doubt I could rock the CES job, I am unsure if I want to live in Abilene.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Well Arizona is at the top of my list. Followed by South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and possibly Nevada.
then NYS ofc. NYS was so high on his list he forgot to mention it!

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmm. There's a clinical educator and multiple OM positions open at AMR Texas and I am thinking of applying for one. But Abilene....IDK.

On the one hand, I have to start somewhere if I want to do management stuff, but I dunno if I'm experienced enough for some of the jobs, and although I have no doubt I could rock the CES job, I am unsure if I want to live in Abilene.

It can get cold enough in Abilene so that you think you're in S. Dakota or Montana.

I mean, S. Dakota is like 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding.