the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
"The dirty"......hahahahaha. Our downtown San Bernardino post is referred to by all as "The jungle".

Downtown SB is more like "the point of no return". Especially around Baseline

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You know, when I hear of something that I've never heard of before, especially if it's related to medicine, you can likely find me researching on google with about 8 tabs open.

I can't understand people who need answers spoon-fed to them. Especially when it takes longer to ask the question and wait for the reply than to just open up a search engine and type in a couple words. You'll likely get much better information that way, too.

We live in an age where you can find almost any information you want in a matter of seconds. The unwillingness- or just plain laziness- to do this is appalling to me.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
If they are low on staffing then they will open up and allow us to fill shifts (it's been happening pretty much every week). But the area I'm talking about is Desert Hot Springs.

I knew it. I was either thinking DHS, Sky Valley or Coachella

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I can't understand people who need answers spoon-fed to them. Especially when it takes longer to ask the question and wait for the reply than to just open up a search engine and type in a couple words. You'll likely get much better information that way, too.

Completely agree. I can't figure it out for the life of me. Prime examples of why lmgtfy.com is glorious, if you're feeling ambitious or mildly snarky.

Now, what's considered a normal pulse rate for an 8 year old again? Anyone? Helpz me please! ;)

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
You know, when I hear of something that I've never heard of before, especially if it's related to medicine, you can likely find me researching on google with about 8 tabs open.

We live in an age where you can find almost any information you want in a matter of seconds. The unwillingness- or just plain laziness- to do this is appalling to me.

And that's what sets people apart from others IMO. Despite what the low-information-EMS-voter (not my term) wants to believe. Anything involving Pt care, or treating people, is never a one-and-done proposition. It's necessary to continuously learn, but it's fought tooth-and-nail by so many that it boggles my mind. I just hope the industry evolves away from such mindsets being permissive toward what it needs to be. I'd love to see the day when those that don't commit to learning and evolving as providers are the one that are made fun of and shunned instead of the otherway around.

mike1390

Forum Captain
AHHH!!!!!

That feeling right after you walk away from a paramedic assessment for a fire department test and realized you used the wrong counties protocols for the assessment :sad:. Iv worked in too many counties, need to delete some of these drug dosages from my memory.

O well on to the next one.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't know what to think about our protocols sometimes. Like it's 2013 and we just got IN administration (for any drug that could conceivably be given IN). Meanwhile we've been starting nitro drips without orders for like 12 years now.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I don't know what to think about our protocols sometimes. Like it's 2013 and we just got IN administration (for any drug that could conceivably be given IN). Meanwhile we've been starting nitro drips without orders for like 12 years now.

IN isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've seen the studies but I've also used it more than a handful of times and its great at making people vomit, sneeze, have rhinorrhea or play with their nose.

I could count the times on one hand I've seen the medications do like I wanted them to.

Epi-do

I see dead people
IN isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've seen the studies but I've also used it more than a handful of times and its great at making people vomit, sneeze, have rhinorrhea or play with their nose.

I could count the times on one hand I've seen the medications do like I wanted them to.

I completely agree with this! I tend to go ahead and get an IV and give them that route, even if I have the option to give them IM. In fact, I have had kids that were 10-12 that have opted to let me start an IV for pain meds, once I explain to them that I have found it works better.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Two delirium tremens patients in one day. Not cool. I used up all the Ativan on the floor.