the 100% directionless thread

Rhonda

Forum Lieutenant
7 more IFT shifts, then 911 here I come! I have pretty decent temp assign for a newbie Wed-Fri every other Sat 11-2300. I'm kind of wishing I pulled nights though since it will be up in the 90s next week.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Back to work in the morning after four days off. It feels strange not to have grabbed an overtime shift on those four days… But I was able to get a lot of stuff done around the house. Although, for some reason, I am fairly anxious to go back to work. I guess that says something. I still like my job maybe?

mct601

RN/NRP
So I had a very interesting call the other day. Probably the most interesting I've had in my three years in EMS. Not the most intense, but the most interesting IMO. Long story short, it was the first time I have ever seen someone paced and of course, with this "new paramedic black cloud/ baptism by fire" lingering over me- it was me who had to do it haha. The feeling of a pulse going from 20 and weak at the radial to 70 and strong with the slow turn of a dial was probably the coolest thing I have ever felt.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Nice job. I still love those calls when you can fix things quickly. Pacing, atropine, Narcan, D50… Makes you feel like you're making a difference.

mct601

RN/NRP
Yep. I've had some very interesting situations that in my three years, I haven't come across until I become a medic. Go figure lol. But pacing tops everything thus far. It was pretty satisfying doing the D50 thing with a distraught family watching. They haven't had a loved one fall out from hypoglycemia ever, and were acting like it was the end.

Also, needed new work pants and ordered a pair of VertX and pair of 5.11 EMS taclites. Ordered the 5.11s many times from LAPG with no issue. Got them this time, and they were HUGE in the waist. Like, 4" bigger at least. The tag reads 32x32 like I ordered. Factory must have FUBAR'd this. Hopefully I can get some help from LAPG or 5.11 on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So I had a very interesting call the other day. Probably the most interesting I've had in my three years in EMS. Not the most intense, but the most interesting IMO. Long story short, it was the first time I have ever seen someone paced and of course, with this "new paramedic black cloud/ baptism by fire" lingering over me- it was me who had to do it haha. The feeling of a pulse going from 20 and weak at the radial to 70 and strong with the slow turn of a dial was probably the coolest thing I have ever felt.

That's awesome! Pacing is something I've never done, is it twisted to say it is something I'd like to do? Hah.

Did PALS last week and ACLS this week so knowing my cloud I should be careful what I wish for.

DE, I know the feeling about wanting to go back to work. As much as I gripe about how busy we are I couldn't see myself doing anything else and being happy.

mct601

RN/NRP
That's awesome! Pacing is something I've never done, is it twisted to say it is something I'd like to do? Hah.

Did PALS last week and ACLS this week so knowing my cloud I should be careful what I wish for.

DE, I know the feeling about wanting to go back to work. As much as I gripe about how busy we are I couldn't see myself doing anything else and being happy.

Haha, the guys at the station were discussing how uncommon (if ever) it was for some medics to pace someone- and how I have performed it with not even 3 months under my belt. Something I will never forget. Not to mention the hole in the seat that my rear ate into as I was working the call haha

MissK

Forum Crew Member

I share that same cloud and just completed PHTLS. My 72 this weekend should be interesting.

Haha, the guys at the station were discussing how uncommon (if ever) it was for some medics to pace someone- and how I have performed it with not even 3 months under my belt. Something I will never forget. Not to mention the hole in the seat that my rear ate into as I was working the call haha

I know the feeling. My medic partner has been in EMS 18 years and has never done it. I did it around my 3 month mark, too.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I thought my cloud was just a first couple of new months new medic thing, false. After nine months it's still going strong. Originally I thought I was just making a bigger deal out of things than they really were but when your coworkers start telling you how many "good" calls you get compared to others it starts making me think otherwise. So I looked back and realized that even as an I when I'd ride with a medic with a white cloud we still got crazy calls.

I'm not complaining, but when you're doing working multiple codes a week and returning code at least once nearly every day sometimes I wish I could just have a normal day at work. If they aren't really sick people there's something that makes the call a logistical nightmare.

mct601

RN/NRP
I thought my cloud was just a first couple of new months new medic thing, false. After nine months it's still going strong. Originally I thought I was just making a bigger deal out of things than they really were but when your coworkers start telling you how many "good" calls you get compared to others it starts making me think otherwise. So I looked back and realized that even as an I when I'd ride with a medic with a white cloud we still got crazy calls.

I'm not complaining, but when you're doing working multiple codes a week and returning code at least once nearly every day sometimes I wish I could just have a normal day at work. If they aren't really sick people there's something that makes the call a logistical nightmare.

I thought I was over reacting too. But like you said, I'm the punch line of a lot of "Dr Death" jokes haha. I was a white cloud as an EMT, too. So this only makes matters worse lol.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Newest ambulance in the fleet? Yes please :D

mike1390

Forum Captain
So... just came back from a private screening of the movie version of Lone Survivor, the tale about seal team 10 and how Marcus Luttrell fought and evaded his was through the Afghanistan mountains. I was super excited to see this not only because of the stories behind all four of those men but the book was a great read, and in typical Hollywood fashion they turned it into a "Look at me Im Mark Walburg" movie. O well at least it had some good action, even with the diference between the movie and the book. I think it comes out sometime in December.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, these last few weeks have been crazy, which is why I've been MIA. Got married, spent a week on the beach in St. Thomas, worked a few days, went to the masters for my new father in law's 50th birthday, worked a few days, then went to dallas for a funeral this weekend. I've been in 7 states the last two weeks, and driven like 24 hours to get to some of these places.

It really has been great though. It looks like florida is going to fall through. We're now looking at moving to the Houston area, which is exciting because it means I maybe able to actually find a great job there.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
EMT meeting in the morning for the college. Going to be adding a lot of new things and incorporating technology into the program.

Flat tire when I got home and one of my subwoofers wasn't working. Fixed both of those issues.

AP 101 class and cadaver lab tonight.

And last but not least going to get my wristband for Stagecoach (big country music festival we do medical for) tomorrow. Attending the event with VIP status due to the medical wristband followed by working the event on Sunday.

Rhonda

Forum Lieutenant
Just picked up from the Volley crew in a town 54 miles from the city. The female EMT steps out of the ambulance first with backless open toed shoes and shorts. The pt crashed his ATV on some trails so they went out there to help. This EMT went into the desert for a call with open toe shoes, how unprofessional and unsafe. Very annoyed with the crew right now.

Mellowgator

Forum Ride Along
The state of "reality" TV, self-help and talk shows today is really sad. Is that what TV has come down to? Wow.
I;ll dig up the article, but there is uproar in England-- a TV station broadcasted a patient being euthanized (sp?), and American nonetheless.
EDIT: I'm sorry, the term is "assisted suicide"

I read the article and was upset to hear about the 23 year old quad who a year after his sci went to Switzerland to commit suicide. I was injured when I was 25 and am now a c-6 quad. I admit at first I couldn't handle it was depressed and even tried to off myself by taking a huge bottle of Valium. After I took the pills I called 911 myself. I think it was my lowest point and a cry for help. The 1st 5 years sucked. Then I built an accessible house got a van I could drive. I then had my 2 children. Now I snow ski, scuba dive and am happy. I wish this guy could of met a group of other quads to show him the good side of sci.

About 10 years after I was injured I was attempting to take my toddler to a mother day out at a nearby church. The ramp was too steep and the handy man helped me up it and we got to talking. I found out he was the first one on the scene of my wreck and he remembered it well. I got to thank him for saving me.

I was told once that emts liked to cut the shirt off pretty girls so i remember trying to cover myself during my rescue. But I'm sure I wasn't looking too pretty at the time.

I want to holler out a big thank you to you guys for all you do.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I was told once that emts liked to cut the shirt off pretty girls so i remember trying to cover myself during my rescue. But I'm sure I wasn't looking too pretty at the time.

While there probably are pigs out there that do, if you're in a major car accident than it's proper to cut clothing off looking for any injuries that might be missed by looking at clothing alone.