the 100% directionless thread

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Smith-Wesson-SW911N-First--4303
smithwessonassisthookserfront.jpg

I actually have the first generation of that knife. Same knife with less fancy handlework and no hook knife at the end.

The window punch broke (never even used it, the roll pin just fell out on its own)

The blade is garbage for cutting. The round teeth don't catch and slice anything they roll over it.

I went with the spyderco Rescue.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I actually have the first generation of that knife. Same knife with less fancy handlework and no hook knife at the end.

The window punch broke (never even used it, the roll pin just fell out on its own)

The blade is garbage for cutting. The round teeth don't catch and slice anything they roll over it.

I went with the spyderco Rescue.

Eh, mine does a pretty good job cutting skin :sad: and everything else I've got to throw at it.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Spyderco makes some quality stuff. I wish I could have gotten my hands on a citadel auto before they stopped making them.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Used my pocket knife the other day to cut something off the patient. The SNF nurse looked at me all weird and said "Why do you carry a knife?"

My response: "Because it's harder to cut things with my handgun"

She then proceeded to say our job can't be THAT dangerous to want a knife or gun.... until I told her to Google EMS deaths.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a partner once used a razor sharp knife to cut an old hospital bracelet off our drunk patient and his wrist had blood on it when we were at triage lol.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I leave the old bracelets on. I'm trying to see how high of a count I can get on one patient.

JPINFV

Gadfly
She then proceeded to say our job can't be THAT dangerous to want a knife or gun.... until I told her to Google EMS deaths.

It seems that seat belts and a treadmill would save more EMS lives than a knife or a firearm.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Used my pocket knife the other day to cut something off the patient. The SNF nurse looked at me all weird and said "Why do you carry a knife?"

I always get joked with about carrying trauma shears yet they constantly ask to borrow them.

My ripshears tear through Interdry like butter. Oh the joys of nursing.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
It seems that seat belts and a treadmill would save more EMS lives than a knife or a firearm.

Can I make this my new signature/bottom quote thingy?

Cause it's SO true. I'd add smoking cessation programs too, if it were me.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm re-taking EMT-B as part of a fire academy, and the instructor said "apply high flow oxygen to all patients because they could be in shock" 28 times in an 8 hour period. I think my systolic blood pressure was about 40 points above normal all day.

I think it's time for me to go to post-bacc and prepare for my MD...

JPINFV

Gadfly
So most of my classmates are starting a new rotation on Monday (I'm in the 6 wk rotation block), and they're moaning about not getting MLK day off.

1. It's medicine. Patient's don't get magically better and pregnant mothers are still going to deliver. Grow the fark up.

2. Chances are, you aren't going to "celebrate MLK's legacy" either. No, sleeping in late and then going shopping or to the movie theater isn't "celebrating" anything, but a free day off.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My college does not recognize any holidays outside of thanksgiving and Christmas (which we get fall and winter breaks for), I am excited to graduate haha.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
My college does not recognize any holidays outside of thanksgiving and Christmas (which we get fall and winter breaks for), I am excited to graduate haha.

Damn, man, I don't start class til Wednesday, haha! And we have a two week spring break :cool:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have what one might refer to as a unique schedule.

4 classes per semester, which fairly average.

However, we are on blocks, so you take one class at a time. Class starts on a Monday and ends on the following fourth Wednesday. Classes are a minimum of three hours per day, five days a week.

Sounds awful, it sometimes it really is. However the suck is somewhat negated by having the fourth Wednesday to the following Monday off as a break, at the end of each block.

Last edited by a moderator: