Termination of care

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You still need a PCR done.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Once you give someone a bandaid, an icepack or hotpack, you are providing treatment. First you should be doing an assessment and filling out a PCR to document as such. It protects you from conditions they don't tell you about that could be potentially serious if not life threatening. Second you are providing a billable service. They could just as easily go to Duane Reade and buy a band aid but they approached an ambulance. Either they need your help or they don't.

We are hired by places. As a single EMT. We get paid the same for any thing we do. We do not bill patients.

As far as an ice pack or a band aid. It's more like hey I have a blister do you have a band aid. Or owe I hurt my ankle do you have an ice pack.

Anything that even remotely seems serious or like a big deal then I definitely do a report.

We are told not to unless it's serious and you actually spend time assessing them and advising them what to do.

I am not doing a PCR for handing out a band aid.

Now I do my assessment and I think they really did hurt their ankle and need treatment, splinting, or anything like that. And I give them a cold pack. I will do a report and a refusal.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
We had a short form and a long form. Short form for superficial injuries and such... very basic information- basically name, age, sex, chief complaint and what was done. A full PCR for pretty much everything else.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Back on topic.

When I do standbys for the company I work for this is our policy:

Bandaid, ice packs, hot packs, etc: Hand them to them and say have a nice day.

If you think they need an ambulance and that they need to go to the hospital and they refuse...Then we do a PCR and a refusal.

If they agree to go, we call for a rigg and do a PCR just like any other call.

Sounds like you work for my company. Same thing. If we give you supplies / minor treatment, your name goes on the log. If we "assess" (their division, not mine) - vitals, detailed history, etc - a PCR gets done and either transport or RMA.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
We are told not to unless it's serious and you actually spend time assessing them and advising them what to do.
How would you decide if it serious or not without doing some sort of assement. You take the patient's word without looking? If you look at the injury and think its minor, than you did some sort of assessment. You made the decision that it was minor. Document why that is.

I am not doing a PCR for handing out a band aid.
Your better off not giving the band aid than. You not Duane Reade. If your giving out a band aid, you should look at the injury and ask them questions related to the injury. You don't need a head to toe assessment with a full set of vitals. Just a relevant assessment of the chief complaint.

Just because your a single EMT at an even doesn't mean you transport every injury. It doesn't mean the patient will agree to every treatment that you suggest. Document everything. Protect yourself.