TB

inthefield

Forum Ride Along
Just curious as to how often you all are required to get TB screening for work. Also, does your company cover the cost?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We either do it every 6 months or every year (I can’t quite remember). It is not required by the company so you can opt out of it. If you decide to get it they have a nurse on site who will do the injection and read it a couple of days later on the company dime.

If we need any special vaccinations or other blood work that is required for paramedic school the company will give us a voucher which we take to our contracted urgent care and they will do all the testing we need on the company dime.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
used to be every year, RN technically required to read it, but most of us were able to read a negative scan, and go to a RN or MD if it didn't look good.

company covered the cost every time.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Quantiferon at hire along with immunization titers, no ongoing requirement for testing unless there is an exposure and the correct PPE was not worn.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Quantiferon at hire along with immunization titers, no ongoing requirement for testing unless there is an exposure and the correct PPE was not worn.
This is best practice

hapacamp

Forum Ride Along
TB testing is a common and ongoing screening requirement in many places. Many companies in SoCal require it every 6 months given how common tuberculosis is in our area. For TB screening, our county health department is now pushing the Quantiferon TB blood test instead of the TB skin test as it is reportedly more accurate. If your company is not set up to do the Quantiferon test yet, there are places you can request the test online:
https://www.accesalabs.com/QuantiFERON-Gold-TB-Blood-Test

Even though the TB blood test is more expensive, one good thing about it is that it doesn't require a follow up visit for a reading like the TB skin test does. I'd check with your company but I'd be surprised if they don't pay for the blood test if it is required where you work.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Old company and FD used to do it yearly, Government used to do it yearly, now they only require it if you are symptomatic

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Company does the quantiferon test yearly. I test positive and refuse to take prophylactic treatment due to already having elevated liver enzymes and it having an interaction with one of my important meds. I just give them a chest x ray. I guess they only need it once every 3 years and to know I am asymptomatic, which is weird (I figured they'd want once a year). Already tested positive for tb the year before with PPD test before quantiferon, so that is when I took my first and only chest x ray. Meh.

The quantiferon was done by the company. Everything else could be done by my company, but I got Kaiser (I have a $0 deductible health plan so cost is usually nothing to a very small co pay like $20 eg I had ENT surgery before and only paid $250 total). where everything is all on one health record, so I prefer to just keep things within Kaiser since it is simpler for outside of work too. I did the chest x ray at Kaiser and gave it to my company. My company had me fill out some county paperwork I guess to keep track of future zombies.

Last edited: