Tattoos

kunruh

Forum Ride Along
How acceptable are visible tattoos in the EMS world? Or does it just vary between who you're working for?

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
I have tattoos down both arms and never an issue when I worked fire and never an issue now working private EMS.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
I'll make it easy... search for Tattoo Hatred.

I'll make it easy on him verse reading 8 plus pages of junk. It depends on your department. Read their policy on tattoos. Some departments have simply cover it up policy and others say none what so ever. Then there's departments that say as long as it's not untasteful you can have it showing.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
My agency has a very liberal tattoo policy. I've seen men and women with pretty much full sleeves of tattoos wearing our standard short-sleeve uniforms. No one cares. If it was going up over the face, there might be an issue, but arm tattoos are a non-issue where I work.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
My department is very anti-tattoo. No visible tattoos allowed. Period. No option to cover them up with a long sleeve uniform or lycra/noeprene/etc sleeves. Will not even be considered for hire if you have them, and it's a condition of employment to stay that way. The firefighters in the department have it even stricter...theirs is no visible tattoos in PT uniform.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
As above: it depends.

Keep in mind that it depends on the patient, too. Even though tattoos are basically accepted by the mainstream these days, a lot of older people still have biases against people who have them. And guess what demographic makes up the majority of our clientele?

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
The hospital I went to school through is anti-tattoo. The one that my husband works at and that I go to don't care. We have a new ambulance service so who knows. Everyone's different. Check into the policy.

Tk11

Forum Captain
I'm been thinking about getting a tattoo on my forearm area, but after reading a lot on tattoos in ems, I think I'll go with upper arm/shoulder to be safe

OP
OP
kunruh

kunruh

Forum Ride Along
I currently only have two visible small ones on my wrist and I have one on the top of my shoulder that I was planning on sleeving but I'm skeptical on doing it now