T-shirts

DHarris52

Forum Probie
Harris you are wrong.

Got to love a statement with no back up or proof that is still 100%.

So if you're laying on the side of the road bleeding to death, you're going to make sure the EMS crew is dressed to your satisfaction before you let them go to work on you?

Right.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
...Captain Killjoy to the rescue.

If someone is seriously sick or injured, the LAST thing they are worried about is how the EMS crew is dressed, believe me.

The same old crappy attitude of those that describe a stretcher should not have to be made up or should have clean sheets, or a unit that is trashed out... Yeah, I've even heard the same B.S. from an busy ER with blood on the floor... "if they really are sick"....

No matter ill or just need a psych eval, we should be professional enough to respond look, act and be professional.

Sorry, I call your hand. I have seen families turn away staff and one of the best surgeons because he arrived with cowboy boots w/manure on them. Yes, he was one of the best there was but as well pompous and unprofessional enough not to care of his appearance. I have witnessed numerous of real ill and injured people complain because of EMS appearance, actions, etc.. Trust me they care and so would I.

Enough with the excuses!....We already have enough of them, this one should NEVER be allowed.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
So if you're laying on the side of the road bleeding to death, you're going to make sure the EMS crew is dressed to your satisfaction before you let them go to work on you?

Right.

No, heck they would probably would ride in a manure truck, just to get to the hospital. Shameful that they would have to even make a choice. More of a shame, that we would even have to discuss this on a forum.

One of the major problems of EMS and those that do not understand professionalism. First impressions are lasting. Most of the public does not know if you can read a 15 lead or just take a blood pressure, but they do know if you are wearing a T-shirt or showing butt crack.

The same as having cigarette breath, a dip of tobacco in your mouth, or even using foul language. They called for a professional service (paid or volunteer). At the least one could do is look the part (even if you don't know, what the heck you are doing).

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
We want to be treated as professionals, have a professional title, and be paid as professionals, but we don't want to dress like professionals.

You can't have it both ways. Either we're professionals or we're not, and dress is a big part of that.

In my opinion, medical professionals shouldn't wear t-shirts as a uniform. Heck, I've been hassled over wearing a grey t-shirt under my uniform shirt instead of a white one. I can't even imagine wearing a t-shirt as my primary uniform.

OP
OP
M

MommyEMT

Forum Probie
As it should...because regardless of what comes out of your mouth, if you look like a slob, you will be regarded to as a slob. When it comes time to critique your class, be sure to put that information about your preceptors on there. Many won't go as far as ensuring their 'gig line' is straight...but sometimes it's the little things that matter. One last thing that really gets me is unpolished boots. I'm not talking about boots that you can see yourself in...just boots that don't look like they've been polished with a brick. Sometimes those little details can separate you from the rest of the pack.

Gig line...I haven't heard that term since I was in the Navy.

OP
OP
M

MommyEMT

Forum Probie
I agree that appearance is everything. The service that we are at is very rural and I saw the paramedics wearing polo shirts and the EMTs were wearing t-shirts with their cargo uniform pants. I don't think one way makes it any more professional than the other if you have a clean uniform on. Some services have regulations that are more strict than others...but judging them doesn't make anything different or make you look any better.
I have just started EMT-B school and am loving it so far. All we are doing is making a class t-shirt as many classes before us have done in the past.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
My honest opinion: If a EMT student showed up at my station to ride out with my rig, and was wearing the T-shirt or polos available in that link, I would send them home. The program director could call me or my boss if they would like, but they would not be around patients in anything less than a decent school issues uniform, business attire, or a plain white polo with black pants and boots.

OP
OP
M

MommyEMT

Forum Probie
My honest opinion: If a EMT student showed up at my station to ride out with my rig, and was wearing the T-shirt or polos available in that link, I would send them home. The program director could call me or my boss if they would like, but they would not be around patients in anything less than a decent school issues uniform, business attire, or a plain white polo with black pants and boots.

They have white polo, black pants and boots too for students. What is the difference in the blue polo that is in that link and a white one?

Sasha

Forum Chief
That's a pretty stupid comment coming from someone who claims to be such an advocate for bettering our EMS system.

How is that a stupid comment?? It's spot on.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Our image is critiqued by everyone we come into contact with, not just the sick and injured. When we make a purchase from the local 7-11 at three a.m., our appearance is being judged. Don't think the nurses in the ER don't know who look like slobs and those whose boots are polished, shirt is clean, and is groomed neatly. Our appearance reflects our personal image whether we like it or not. While latitude can be provided during a bad (read: messy) call, you shouldn't have the same shirt on when you return to the ER with the next patient. All that said, I feel a collared polo and long pants are the bare minimum; t-shirts as outerwear have no place in EMS. Yes, I do wear a t-shirt at the firehouse, but if I'm going to have contact with the public on their turf (fire inspections, extinguisher checks, etc) I wear a nice airport polo with my name and rank displayed.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
If someone is seriously sick or injured, the LAST thing they are worried about is how the EMS crew is dressed, believe me.

Perhaps not, but in many facilities, including hospitals, you cannot enter the ER entrance unless you have some identifiable features on your person (i.e: uniform, nametag, etc.). And honestly...how can you expect a patient, a nurse, a doctor to take you seriously when you're sporting a tank-top and ripped jeans? A professional attire not only designates who we are and what we do, it also is a reflection onto ourselves and how seriously one takes the job. A slovenly appearance tells the patient "I don't give a sh*t".

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That's a pretty stupid comment coming from someone who claims to be such an advocate for bettering our EMS system.

It's better to at least look the part and be presumed that you know what you are doing, then to look like feces and supposedly be smart. Well, not smart enough to know that part of your job is to look professional.

Seriously, we are having a debate that someone should look professional? Geeez..... and we wonder why they still call us ambulance drivers?

R/r 911

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
My service is a volunteer paid on call service. The uniform worn by a majority of our members is a t-shirt with the star of life and the letters E.M.S. I will only wear that if my other uniforms are dirty. For a majority of calls I will either wear a dark navy uniform shirt sometimes with a tie on or a job shirt with navy pants either regular or cargo style.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
My service is a volunteer paid on call service. The uniform worn by a majority of our members is a t-shirt with the star of life and the letters E.M.S. I will only wear that if my other uniforms are dirty. For a majority of calls I will either wear a dark navy uniform shirt sometimes with a tie on or a job shirt with navy pants either regular or cargo style.
I also forgot we also go on calls wearing the only uniform issued by the town govt our jumpsuit.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

My opinion is that rid is spot on here... not stupid at all

DHarris52

Forum Probie
My opinion is that rid is spot on here... not stupid at all

Perhaps "stupid" was a poor choice of wording on my part. While I don't necessarily condone dressing sloppily, it's the nature of the beast in this sport. Especially volly EMS. It all boils down to $$$. It's a heck of alot cheaper to issue a member a t-shirt and tell them to wear it with jeans than to provide them with a "proper" uniform. However, I strongly disagree with the train of thought of "if you don't know what you're doing, at least look like you know what you're doing". I'll take the EMT who knows his stuff but looks like he crawled out of a dumpster over the one who doesn't know his *** from his elbow but is wearing a uniform that could pass a Marine DI inspection. I still stand by my statement that in a patient's dire hour of need, your uniform is the last thing on their mind.

Hastings

Noobie
Perhaps "stupid" was a poor choice of wording on my part. While I don't necessarily condone dressing sloppily, it's the nature of the beast in this sport. Especially volly EMS. It all boils down to $$$. It's a heck of alot cheaper to issue a member a t-shirt and tell them to wear it with jeans than to provide them with a "proper" uniform. However, I strongly disagree with the train of thought of "if you don't know what you're doing, at least look like you know what you're doing". I'll take the EMT who knows his stuff but looks like he crawled out of a dumpster over the one who doesn't know his *** from his elbow but is wearing a uniform that could pass a Marine DI inspection. I still stand by my statement that in a patient's dire hour of need, your uniform is the last thing on their mind.

I've personally seen patients tell me that they don't feel comfortable having me assess them until the first responders who -wearing jeans and T-shirts, chewing tobacco, and using unprofessional language - were removed from the scene. And you better believe they were removed without any assessment as to how good their skills were.

Unprofessional look scares patients to death. It's reality. Yes, patients will and have refused care because the clothing and look of the people responding to their emergency did not convey the feeling that they knew what they are doing, whether they do or not.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

The only reason it is the "nature of the beast" is because we allow it to be. There should be no "excuses"! Sorry, this comes down to the old .... "you want to do the job, then be ready and prepared to do it".... Albeit volunteer or paid. Let's quit pretending and stop covering up .... short and simply laziness! Simply that is all it is!

Your right, most of us in EMS would take the one out of the dumpster because we would know the difference by their actions and knowledge, but patients do not. I had an employee that was not the best medic as in knowledge base. Yet he always looked professional and his actions in public was always remarkable, holding doors open, calling patients Mr/Ms. etc... Trouble was medically he was poor and yet I received numerous thank you and letters of praise over even those that was a master of medical care. Again, the public perception is often skewed.

If those in your department cannot afford to have clean and pressed shirts available, then I worry about the caliber of their desire and ability to have a clean and well stocked unit. Things can represent and point to other parts. If one is sloppy in appearance and lack the motivation to even present themselves professionally, what degree of care will these people deliver if they care that little about themselves or the image of the profession?

I don't think you honestly can defend anyone not presenting themselves as a professional. Why would anyone even attempt to justify such behavior? What is next? Hygiene ... deodorant and baths optional?

If you can't afford to be in the business, then it's time to reconsider your options.

R/r 911

DHarris52

Forum Probie
The only reason it is the "nature of the beast" is because we allow it to be. There should be no "excuses"! Sorry, this comes down to the old .... "you want to do the job, then be ready and prepared to do it".... Albeit volunteer or paid. Let's quit pretending and stop covering up .... short and simply laziness! Simply that is all it is!

Your right, most of us in EMS would take the one out of the dumpster because we would know the difference by their actions and knowledge, but patients do not. I had an employee that was not the best medic as in knowledge base. Yet he always looked professional and his actions in public was always remarkable, holding doors open, calling patients Mr/Ms. etc... Trouble was medically he was poor and yet I received numerous thank you and letters of praise over even those that was a master of medical care. Again, the public perception is often skewed.

If those in your department cannot afford to have clean and pressed shirts available, then I worry about the caliber of their desire and ability to have a clean and well stocked unit. Things can represent and point to other parts. If one is sloppy in appearance and lack the motivation to even present themselves professionally, what degree of care will these people deliver if they care that little about themselves or the image of the profession?

I don't think you honestly can defend anyone not presenting themselves as a professional. Why would anyone even attempt to justify such behavior? What is next? Hygiene ... deodorant and baths optional?

If you can't afford to be in the business, then it's time to reconsider your options.

R/r 911

You are grossly out of touch with the realities of volunteer EMS.

Why should a volunteer who already gave countless hours and in some cases, their own dollars towards training, on top of the 20 or so hours a week of duty time, have to go out-of-pocket for a uniform?

I see your point, and I think your heart is in the right place, but are you prepared to cut the check to the tens of thousands of volunteer EMS agencies around the country that cannot afford to issue "proper" uniforms?

No volunteer expects to be compensated, but they don't expect it to cost them money either.