switch jobs or volunteer

bobtheowl2

Forum Ride Along
Recently I've gotten interested in becoming an EMT, bought some books on the subject, and started volunteering in the ED of a relatively busy local hospital.
Normally there would be no question about what to do next, however I already have a "good" (albeit boring) job, just got married,house, and thinking about kids. I've been debating back and forth the last few months as to if I should jump in and starting taking classes at our community college or not. I need some inspiration either way, as three emt friends/acquaintances kind of had mixed reviews about the different jobs and lifestyle switch. My wife/friends/family all seem to be suportive whatever I decided. Should I look into volunteering? (I do have a 40+/hr wk job, and requires me to be oncall occasionally), and are there even EMT only type jobs available as I didn't find much online? Should I leave my current job? Riskier and will take a small pay hit, especially in the short term, but would be able to devote more time. I just don't know if I can sit in a cubical the rest of my life, when much more interesting and meaningful jobs exist. Thanks for reading all of this, any thoughts you have would definately be helpful to me.

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
why dont you right now... try volunteering for a brief period... so you get a "Feel" for it...

Once done you can better make your decision before investing money into a class and the time into the class.
Ive known people that wanted to do EMT went through the class ect until their first accident then left the field because it "wasnt for them"

this way you can get a taste maybe call a county ems and schedule a ride along to help you better your choice then when you know for sure take it from there. One step at a time you have to crawl before you can walk

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I would definitly schedule a ride along with your county EMS or Fire Dept. One of them will be happy to have you, go teo or three times and if your as sick as the rest of us, and get excited rather than grossed out by half the calls, then this job is for you.

As far as marriage and kids, I have both and your family will take a hit for it. Mostly because of the irregular schedule and stress your family will have to make some sacrifices along the way. But if this really is what you want to do and they are supportive it's worth it.

Also if you call your county's EMS or your local hospital (they usually have a private transport system that uses EMT's and Medics) you'll find that someone there will explain to you the specific's about the job: scheduling, pay, hiring process, training etc.

If your even considering it, and best before you do a ride along, get CPR certified, the one for health professionals. It'll cost you about 50 bucks and 2 three hour classes.

Good Luck and :) :) :) Welcome! :) :) :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to the forum!

Don't give up your job! There is no reason you can't be an EMT and continue to work a day job. Many members of this forum, myself included, have day gigs and work EMS when we can.

There has been a lot of good advice given in this thread. I'd suggest scheduling a few ride-alongs with local ambulance services and getting a feel for it. I love EMS, but if you have a good paying job, I wouldn't give it up.

Keeps us updated on what you decide!

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I have a day and night gig, LOL.

I log about 2400 hours a year at work. I also volunteer a minimum of 250 hours a year as an advanced life support EMT.

Somehow, I manage to find plenty of time to eat, drink, and get engaged.

OP
OP
bobtheowl2

bobtheowl2

Forum Ride Along
Thank you all for the comments so far! This has been a more positive response then I initially expected.

Of the one human I was able to talk to today, she said they essentially do ride-alongs for students, but not until I'm already enrolled in a class. I have several more on the list to talk to tomorrow, don't worry.

I do agree about trying the ride-along beforehand, assuming someone in town allows it. Just briefly reading about HIPAA and ride-alongs wasn't too encouraging, but I'm sure I'll find something soon.

Also, for the CPR class mentioned, does "BLS for Healthcare Providers" sound like the right/best one? (as opposed to HeartSaver CPR)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yes, BLS for Healthcare Providers is the class you want, if you are going through the AHA. I know the ARC has a similar course, but can't remember what it's called.

futuretoledoemt

Forum Crew Member
I do agree about trying the ride-along beforehand, assuming someone in town allows it. Just briefly reading about HIPAA and ride-alongs wasn't too encouraging, but I'm sure I'll find something soon.

I had to do some legwork, but I found a private service willing to let me do a ride along, even before I was an EMT student... I went a few times before I enrolled in the actual class.

Good luck to ya!

April

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
ffemt8978 said:
Yes, BLS for Healthcare Providers is the class you want, if you are going through the AHA. I know the ARC has a similar course, but can't remember what it's called.

That's it, it's the same title through the red cross too.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
I didn't know you could get BLS for healthcare providers through Red Cross. I had my Red Cross CPR/AED certification already and when I joined my EMS squad they required me to take the course through AHA. It was a lot different and I like AHA a lot better.

bobtheowl, have you also considered being a First Responder? The course to become it is only about 30 hours. With this you can respond from your own home. Also from my experience, ambulances will usually take you along on ridealongs if you say you are already an FR and plan on becoming an EMT.

OP
OP
bobtheowl2

bobtheowl2

Forum Ride Along
I haven't thought too much about a First Responder, from what I've heard you either have to work for a Fire or Police Department, and your limited in what you can do medically. As far as the ride along, no luck so far, but I did run into an old high-school friend (who just happened to be an EMT) in the ED the other day; she seemed positive it could be worked out and even gave me a contact.