Super Size Me: The EMS Diet

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
After watching the documentary Super Size Me, and realizing that 100% of my meals in EMS come from fast food, I'm wondering what others do.

Most people that work regularly in EMS know where every single food place in the county is. Most attempt to eat at subways or healthier food locations, but others stick to fast food.

How do you feel about the EMS diet? How do you cope with it?

(I was born with big bones, I swear, it's the bones)

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
If I have to eat fast food I stick to fish or chicken or subway. Mostly though my wonderful wife fixes me healthy lunches and snacks that I can either eat as a meal or snack on between calls. I am spoiled!! :D (Shes looking over my shoulder as I type :D )

Luno

OG
Premium Member
find a good sandwich shop, teriyaki, mexican, some supermarkets make "dinners" which aren't half bad, usually meat/potatoes or bread or stuffing/vegetable for about 6-7 bucks, and if your at a station, stagg chili, lean pockets, etc....

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Well we only eat if we are coming back from a transfer and ususally it is fast food or the Caseys General Store on the way out of town. As for all the time I sit at school and working 3-11 at the hosptial I eat alot of popcorn and lean pockets. or other quick microwave dinners. I have also gotten to the point that I eat alot of tuna salad and crackers. those new packets of tuna work great you dont have to drain the tuna. I also eat at the caf. at the school which allows me to have a varity during hte lunch hours or going to subway.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Pepsi in the morning, sprite in the evening, ketchup chips and assorted candy bars for supper, burrito from breakfast, Drive thru McD's for lunch, pizza at 3am, stop by some Chicken BBQ for a cause while on an LDT, never eat anything spicy, never eat anything geasy; avoid olestra at all costs.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Apparently I'm a really good cook, and I personally prefer my cooking over any of that stuff. Of course some of the stuff I make (like homemade lasagna) is probably worse for ones health than a biggie burger and fries. But grocery store + kitchen in the station makes it easy. And there's a lot you can make in a short amount of time. When it's necessary...subway or mom & pop shop with something healthier, and when Fast food is all you can get, Coloradoemt is right, stick to the chicken or fish.

On a generalized note, I've got my husband restricted from fast food and soda to help him lose that last 10 lbs. I think those are the 2 biggest culprits.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Wendy's in my area has some great alternatives - you can now get chili, baked potato, side salad, caeser salad instead of fries with your combo. They also now have a fruit cup and a fruit platter w/yogurt which make a great snack.

We also just got a Baja Fresh - part of the Wendy's group I believe - which is Mexican/American food made from all fresh ingredients - no frozen food, no lard, no MSG. It's really good. B) My new favorite place.

lindsayn2

Forum Probie
Not that this is good for you but I have found the best thing to get in between calls is Chicken Nuggets from McDonalds. This is the one thing I have found that will keep, seems how I work for a very busy service and we ALWAYS get interrupted. Also they are easy to pop in your mouth before you jump out of the truck for your call.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok. I do McD's more than I should (and I think I won't starve on a desert island anytime soon ;) )

Wendys Chicken nuggets - good, fresh, have a baked potato, too. Also their chicken sandwitches and salads are good.

Subway. Good food, OK prices, gotta watch the sanitation (Dang - spending too much time in the firehouse kitchen with the food-handler ;) )

Booger King - feels a little more like real food than McD's

boston Market- Chiken and turkey. Expensive, but GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Finally, WaWa. They have Hot-To-Go bowls, like chicken teriaki, country chicken, chicken alfreado, beef stew, over rice or mashed potatos or pasta. I LIVE OFF OF THESE MEALS

Jon

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by MMiz@Feb 12 2005, 03:57 AM
After watching the documentary Super Size Me, and realizing that 100% of my meals in EMS come from fast food, I'm wondering what others do.

Most people that work regularly in EMS know where every single food place in the county is. Most attempt to eat at subways or healthier food locations, but others stick to fast food.

I have heard of this documentary but have not gotten around to seeing it yet. Is it true the docs told him to stop about half way through?

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
I just finished basic refresher and during our lunch the instructor put it in. It was the most disgusting- turn off of mickey d's- anyone couldve possible thought up. he gained like 15 lbs, his cholesteral shot way up, his lipids were up and everything was just outta whack. His liver was like 60% fat. There were some good facts in there though. The nutrionists they contacted had a survey on how often you should eat fast food, someone said only in a nuclear attack where only that and a twinkie will survive. A couple others said once a week to once a month, others said never, they'd rather you starve. Interesting.

emg500

Forum Ride Along
Finally, WaWa. They have Hot-To-Go bowls, like chicken teriaki, country chicken, chicken alfreado, beef stew, over rice or mashed potatos or pasta. I LIVE OFF OF THESE MEALS

/drool Wawa...best place ever. Second to Wawa, Chik-Fil-A is good. We get a 50% discount there if we are in uniform...and since it is about a 90 seconds away from the station we go there a lot.

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by coloradoemt+Feb 14 2005, 11:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coloradoemt @ Feb 14 2005, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MMiz@Feb 12 2005, 03:57 AM

I have heard of this documentary but have not gotten around to seeing it yet. Is it true the docs told him to stop about half way through? [/b][/quote]
I just watched this the other day.

Of course the docs told him to stop. What doc in their right mind knowing what he's doing would say sail on, sailor! Sorry. Its a great thing to watch. I learned loads. Sad thing is, I wanted fries the entire time. How brainwashed are we?

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
The hospital we usually transport to has a fridge in the bay with sandwhichs, chips ect free to ems. It's not always the best tasting, but is far better then fast food.

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by emtchicky156@Mar 21 2005, 09:27 AM
The hospital we usually transport to has a fridge in the bay with sandwhichs, chips ect free to ems. It's not always the best tasting, but is far better then fast food.
Ewww. Dont eat the sandwiches at LL!! They never taste good. Ew. Just ew.

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by Phridae+Mar 21 2005, 01:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Phridae @ Mar 21 2005, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-emtchicky156@Mar 21 2005, 09:27 AM
Ewww. Dont eat the sandwiches at LL!! They never taste good. Ew. Just ew. [/b][/quote]
I have never eaten any of the sandwhichs myself. I do know a few who have and regretted it later. I usually go for the pretzels haha.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtchicky156@Mar 21 2005, 09:27 AM
This is actually more common than you would think. Sevral hospitals provide juice, ginger ale, chips / pretzels and other comestables in the EMS crew area off of the Ambulance Bay. The rooms are usually small, and sometimes have a small radio or TV, and are usually a nice, well-lit area to sit and do paperwork. Some of them have replacement supplies, and others have used EMS gear (Backboards etc.)

The stories I've heard from Pittsburg, PA medics is that the 3 city trauma centers realized that being nice to EMS meant more Patients, and being mean A-holes meant NO patients. The stories I've heard are that these ED's have nice lounges and decent food 24-7 for the EMS staff, and they bend over backwards to be nice, because 95% of the time you have 2 of the three trauma centers TIED for closest Trauma Center, and THEY WANT YOUR BUISNESS!

Jon

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by emtchicky156+Mar 21 2005, 02:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (emtchicky156 @ Mar 21 2005, 02:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Phridae@Mar 21 2005, 01:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-emtchicky156
@Mar 21 2005, 09:27 AM

Ewww. Dont eat the sandwiches at LL!! They never taste good. Ew. Just ew.
I have never eaten any of the sandwhichs myself. I do know a few who have and regretted it later. I usually go for the pretzels haha. [/b][/quote]
good girl. They're just not right. Somehow they mess up egg salad. I still dont know who you are. lol

medicMT

Forum Ride Along
Hello All!

I am new to this site! Decided to post here since this is worries me a bit. First of all, I am a massage therapy student, and will be back into EMS soon (this summer) :D. Three years ago I have become anaphylactic to fowl and fish: chicken, turkey, and tuna are the worst. Now, I have not worked on the ambulance for the 3 years, so I am not exactly sure how this will affect my eating while on shift. I would assume making my own food would be the solution. Although I am curious if any of you have food allergies, and how do you manage it with an "EMS diet"???

Ciao,
Shannon-marie

SCEMT-B

Forum Crew Member
I'll admit I prolly spend too much time hitting the fast food then I should. Todays lunch was actually HEALTHY for once! Salad, a steak, and vegies! I felt human for once :lol: The sad part is I buy things to make lunches to take so i eat healthy and then payday comes and its "Lets go out to eat today" :huh: I really need to work on eating healthy foods again.

Our EDs are nice to most crews around here. (we have about 8 different services including 4 county services going to local area hospitals at any time here) They give us a room with a small fridge packed full of water, sodas, and gatoraid. Some places give us crackers and peanut butter, cheese, coffee :wub: or hot chocolate.