Stretchers

volff21

Forum Probie
the + is up,the - is down? right,lifting??????who does that

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If you have a choice - go for the tracked stair chair first... you can always get extra hands on a stretcher... but stairs are different. I've tried, and it seems almost impossible to have major trouble on the stairs with a "tracked" chair.

Jon

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
how good are the tracked stair chairs, going up stairs? had a patient a few weeks ago before I moved that we had to take UP 3 flights of stairs, with a new Stryker chair, but no tracks. major pain in the back.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Done the two man litters...yes, litters.

"Stretchers" refer to a particular type of litter which has longerons running parallel to the pt's body (well, unles they're all accordioned-up) and two or more lateral stiffeners which would "STRETCH" it out so it didn't collapse from the sides. Oddly, the government nomenclature for this item was/is "D-Ring Litter"..the first ambulance litter, fit into military vehicles.

Correct, archaic and disused terminology for these folding units designed to go into an ambulance as "ambulance litters". FernoWash et al call them "ambulance stretchers". Oh, well.

Can't speak about the new ones, but the older ones are potentially dangerous in the hands of unschooled people like my coworkers...dangerous to the pt, dangerous to the person handling it. Those guys with the Hearse were lucky, lifting those two-man mothers especially uphill into a modular was murder for most.