Stretchers

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
What kind of stretcher does your department use?

I've heard of these power-lift stretchers but i can't for the life of me figure out how you would get them into the ambulance. With a non-power-lift stretcher, you push in and it folds in but can you do that with a power lift or do you have to hold it as it retracts its legs? Seems like that is more weight to hold up while waiting for retraction. And again when you tanke it out of the truck? intead of the legs dropping they have to "power lift" down?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

I've heard of these power-lift stretchers but i can't for the life of me figure out how you would get them into the ambulance. With a non-power-lift stretcher, you push in and it folds in but can you do that with a power lift or do you have to hold it as it retracts its legs? Seems like that is more weight to hold up while waiting for retraction. And again when you tanke it out of the truck? intead of the legs dropping they have to "power lift" down?

They work pretty much the same, only without the back strain

Turner

Forum Crew Member
I will stay with the manual ones. The power ones are good but for the price you can spend it on other supplies.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
OK.

There are several different types of stretchers. The 2 top manufacturers are Ferno and Stryker. Ferno has been selling them since the days of Cadillac. Stryker has been around a shorter time, but they seem to have a superior product. MonsterMedic is the new kid on the block... with a similar product.

OK... a little history:

The first collapsible stretchers were 2-man stretchers:
518971092_3d68e116fd.jpg

These stretchers had to be dropped to the ground to be placed in the ambulance.. and needed 2+ people to work at all. These are what you see if you watch Emergency! These shouldn't still be in service ANYWHERE except as examples of our history.

There have been several variations of "roll in" stretchers that could be operated with 1 person. Ferno and Stryker both make them... MonsterMedic doesn't seem to be selling one. Ferno's is the Model 93:
93ES%20FERNO.jpg

These roll into the rig and the wheels fold up as you push the stretcher in.

The other common manual stretcher used now is the 1 and 1/2 man cot or "X-frame" cot. These have an X-frame, and require 1 person at the foot end when loading the stretcher, and an additional person to grab the undercarraige with 1 hand and raise it.
Stryker and Ferno both make these, as does MonsterMedic.
Here is the Stryker MX-Pro strecher:
Usedmxprosmall.gif

All three manufacturers have a similar power model. These raise and lower the undercarriage with power.
This is Stryker's:
598899155.jpg

REMSI Medic 10

Forum Probie

REMSI uses the stryker stretcher.

They look EXACTLY like this : http://www.med-worldwide.com/media/ezpror4.jpg

REMSI Medic 10

Forum Probie
OK.

There are several different types of stretchers. The 2 top manufacturers are Ferno and Stryker. Ferno has been selling them since the days of Cadillac. Stryker has been around a shorter time, but they seem to have a superior product. MonsterMedic is the new kid on the block... with a similar product.

OK... a little history:

The first collapsible stretchers were 2-man stretchers:
518971092_3d68e116fd.jpg

These stretchers had to be dropped to the ground to be placed in the ambulance.. and needed 2+ people to work at all. These are what you see if you watch Emergency! These shouldn't still be in service ANYWHERE except as examples of our history.

There have been several variations of "roll in" stretchers that could be operated with 1 person. Ferno and Stryker both make them... MonsterMedic doesn't seem to be selling one. Ferno's is the Model 93:
93ES%20FERNO.jpg

These roll into the rig and the wheels fold up as you push the stretcher in.

The other common manual stretcher used now is the 1 and 1/2 man cot or "X-frame" cot. These have an X-frame, and require 1 person at the foot end when loading the stretcher, and an additional person to grab the undercarraige with 1 hand and raise it.
Stryker and Ferno both make these, as does MonsterMedic.
Here is the Stryker MX-Pro strecher:
Usedmxprosmall.gif

All three manufacturers have a similar power model. These raise and lower the undercarriage with power.
This is Stryker's:
598899155.jpg

lol, actually, we still have 3-4 still in service. At sation 5- the paid station, the first and second run trucks have the strykers, but the 3 and 4th run have oldies you were talking about, the Volunteer Station at station 3 has the old stretcher while the other volunteer station at station 4 has the stryker. Both ambulances at station 1(other paid station, where I run at) have the stryker, and the other paid station at station 2 has both strykers on both of their trucks

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I will stay with the manual ones. The power ones are good but for the price you can spend it on other supplies.

Like Workman's Comp?..! Sorry, our and the national studies has proven it has reduced back injuries and workmen's comp up to 80-90% = less injuries to EMT's and less spent money on insurance and lost days.

We went to Stryker power and I only wished they had these 31 years ago, there would be several medics that could still be working instead wearing TENS units...

It was not until the mid to late 80's the so called "one man" cots became popular. As well most of the wheels did NOT fold up rather they collapsed as in a X formation. Most used was "Ferno" and the only one that usually carried a one man cot was the hearse/funeral home with a slide board.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
We have the Stryker Power Pro series in all our trucks now and I gotta say, I love em.

EMTAlex209

Forum Probie
Our company uses the stryker power pro's. It's like heaven on your back. My back issues have disappered. It's like working a six hour shift instead of a twelve. They are expensive but worth it. New upgrades on them as well.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
We have Strykers with power by strongback.

Medic9

Forum Lieutenant
We have the Stryker power stretchers and one of the new stairchairs. We all LOVE the stretchers, especially since we usually run two person crews. They are worth every penny spent!!

NESDMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
We just got a new ambulance and ordered it with the Stryker power stretcher and the tracked stair chair. The stretcher is a little heavier but well worth the difference in money. Stair chair with tracks is also a nice piece of equipment. We are thinking about upgrading our second rig from the MX Pro to the power version and tracked stair chair.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
We just use the plain jane Stryker. Not power operated..we still lift and I am alright with that.

MDKEMT