Stethoscope????

EMTzimp

Forum Probie
I'm looking to get a good Stethoscope? I work for a private company in Orange County, CA and the stethoscopes are just cheap and I know alot of people who unfortunatly do not sanitize equipment properly when done using...

Any advice on what Brand/ Model to buy???

StreetPharmacist

Forum Crew Member
you should just buy a cheap one to use if your just doing blood pressures and lung sounds. 20-30 dollars. you should search the site lots of post on stethoscopes to look at already

medic417

The Truth Provider
Oh crap I may have to quit the site if the search function is broken.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I have to pretty much echo StreetPharmacist on this. Buy a cheaper one in the $20-30 range. While I have a high-end stethoscope, it was something I earned... If I can't hear it (lung/BP sounds) with one of those cheaper stethoscopes, chances are quite good that I couldn't hear it with mine. I also don't let my 'scope out of my possession and I make sure that I decon/disinfect my scope.

imurphy

Forum Captain
Littmann has the best....marketting.

I love my Kila Cardiliogy 3. Cost me 40 on eBay with shipping. Got the littmann tunable diaphram for it for 10. I've compared it to the Littman Master Cardiology with a couple of friends scopes, and none of us can tell the difference. Except the large difference in price.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
littmann is the best...

Not really. I have a cardio three that was given to me and I much prefer my ultrascope when on the truck.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Ever hear of deconning? Clean the equipment, you can't bring you're own equipment for everything.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I'm looking to get a good Stethoscope? I work for a private company in Orange County, CA and the stethoscopes are just cheap and I know alot of people who unfortunatly do not sanitize equipment properly when done using...

I have the Littmann Cardiology III. I have only used it to check BP so far in class, but it is very comfortable and seems to work very well. It also has a pediatric side, which will be nice.

They are fairly expensive, though (mine was over $100. I got it as a graduation gift from high school because I knew I was going to enter EMS as a career). But it is a very nice stethoscope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kellen

Forum Ride Along
idk man my buddy let me borrow one of those littmann cardiology ones (if i'm gonna drop over a bill i wanna be able to try it out first) and i heard way too much with it! yeah i bet it's fine for classroom use, in fact it probably rocks, but when you're code 3, pt's rockin around, blah blah blah blah all you'll be able to hear is the siren and the engine. i actually ended up just tearing it off and grabbing my $30 scope off the bench next to me. go cheap man you're not in cardiology you're in ems =)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Again, it is NOT what you put in your ears rather what is between your ears that really counts.

R/r 911

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
idk man my buddy let me borrow one of those littmann cardiology ones (if i'm gonna drop over a bill i wanna be able to try it out first) and i heard way too much with it! yeah i bet it's fine for classroom use, in fact it probably rocks, but when you're code 3, pt's rockin around, blah blah blah blah all you'll be able to hear is the siren and the engine. i actually ended up just tearing it off and grabbing my $30 scope off the bench next to me. go cheap man you're not in cardiology you're in ems =)

We did the research before we bought it. It's going to be with me for a LONG time, so I wanted one that would last.

medicnick

Forum Probie

Timzimp
I live just down the road from you in Placentia. Don't laugh that is what its called. Anyways, I was disappointed when I bought my nice Littman and it didn't make those sounds magically more audible.

I think investing in a good stethoscope is a good idea, there are features that make them better such as the tubing being thicker and insulating the sounds better. You will still have to get good at picking up the heart, breathing, and BP sounds though.

Good luck,
Nick

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Timzimp
I live just down the road from you in Placentia. Don't laugh that is what its called. Anyways, I was disappointed when I bought my nice Littman and it didn't make those sounds magically more audible.

I think investing in a good stethoscope is a good idea, there are features that make them better such as the tubing being thicker and insulating the sounds better. You will still have to get good at picking up the heart, breathing, and BP sounds though.

Good luck,
Nick
That was similar to my experience with the Littman I have. While the sounds didn't magically appear, the reduced extraneous noise made them easier to pick out...

austinmedic77

Forum Crew Member
There is a reason mechanics will drop $100+ on a screwdriver from snap=on versus the $1.49 special from harbor freight, they work better, last longer, and have a better warranty. The same holds true for the tools of our trade. If you are serious about this as a career or even just as a stepping stone to other medical career then it is worth it to INVEST in quality tools. It may not make a difference to hear basic course lung sounds but when you learn to listen for the subtle changes and variants it will make all the difference in the world. Again, if you only intend to take basic vitals in the back of the truck during a IFT then by all means stick to the $1.49 special but if you are looking to perfect our trade and become a better medic at any level buy the Snap-on and get the education on how to use it. Mirror a RRT for lung sounds they will teach you stuff that very few doctors could. Intern with a cardiology team for heart tones, GU/GI for abd tones ect. and as always attend formal education on all of the subjects pre/post so that you can learn to apply what you are taught to listen for into your everyday practice. Be a vehicle to move our career forward not an anchor weighing it down as some in this post have suggested! Just my humble opinion but I would bet that if you talk to any decent medic or educator in your system they will be of the same opinion.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
The Littmann Classic II SE is always a good choice. Relatively cheap, good quality, lightweight, etc. And its not likely to walk away like a nice cardiology scope. And you'll be able to hear anything you need to hear with it. What you can hear isn't based on your scope, but rather your own knowledge and experience.