Stethoscope preference

Lin57EMT

Forum Probie
We're hearing a lot of good stuff lately regarding the RenLor stethoscope.

They're being given as incentive gifts or time-in-service gifts locally, and people are raving about how much better they are than Littmann.

Anybody here use one? If so, what are your thoughts?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
We're hearing a lot of good stuff lately regarding the RenLor stethoscope.

Hopefully the good things your hearing are pulses and clear breath sounds. If you can hear it and its affordable, its good.

OP
OP
L

Lin57EMT

Forum Probie
Hopefully the good things your hearing are pulses and clear breath sounds. If you can hear it and its affordable, its good.

Affordable...yes, sort of. The website lists the basic model for $85. Shipping, however, is an additional $40, which is just wrong. That brings it to $125 and now I would have to REALLY like it to put in an order.

I already get good pulses and breath sounds with my Littmann, so I won't be ordering unless there's compelling evidence. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually tried one, and if so, are they really "superior" to the others on the market?

Explorer127

Forum Crew Member
The littman lite weight stethoscope is great for lung sounds and BP's..

It's not that expensive either..

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
As long as you can hear everything you need to hear all it is, is preference. What works for me might not work for you

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Affordable...yes, sort of. The website lists the basic model for $85. Shipping, however, is an additional $40, which is just wrong. That brings it to $125 and now I would have to REALLY like it to put in an order.

Yeah s&h is not $40 for a stethescope.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
One service I work for...

Purchased a bunch of them in some nice colors, apparently for the children. They are pretty good, I can hear most things I need, but they didn't cost near that much, and if they do cost you that much, I'd skip them. The earbuds are very nice but they also come off at the drop of a hat and good luck finding them. I got some new pieces and placed them in. These ones are a much tighter fit while still being comfortable. Have not lost them yet.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Oooh they're really cute! I'd like one if it was cheaper, my littman was $40, plus $10 s/h and it's still cheaper than their base model. I like the Lightweight, nice countured bell for a good finger grip.

I've seen a couple nurses with those and they look kind of heavy and awkward to use, plus it's no double bell? Big negative for me

Sasha

Forum Chief
OH I just figured out... Shipping is only $10. You have to change it in the check out page to "United States/Canada" the $40 it gives you is for international shipping ^_^

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
My Littmann was around $150. But, it's the best set of tubes I've ever had. It's only a single bell, but that's why there's a peds steth in the PALS kit. I've never used it, but it's there. My Littmann has worked for every pt I've had.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's only a single bell, but that's why there's a peds steth in the PALS kit.

I have a thing about using other people's scopes, or scopes other people have put in their ears, that's why a double bell is a must for me! :]

What Littmann do you have?

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Littmann master Classic II. Completely black from top to bottom. I just use alcohol wipes on the earpieces if I use one that isn't mine. But, I prefer to use my own.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Just remember, the nicer your stethoscope, the greater the pain when you lose it.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
It's only an object. I don't really get upset when something breaks/goes missing. It can easily be replaced.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
if your going to buy anything expensive buy a littman. do not trust no name brands, because if your going to spend the money buy the best.

reaper

Working Bum
Ultrascopes are not a no name scope. They have been around for years and yes, they do work great. It is all personal preference to which one you like.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
if your going to buy anything expensive buy a littman. do not trust no name brands, because if your going to spend the money buy the best.

Actually many medical schools are telling their students to stay away from the Littmanns now because most people cannot figure out how to properly use the tunable diaphragm to really hear everything that they need to hear. Many nurses that I've talked to are starting to recommend this http://grxmedical.com/item.asp?cID=&PID=24

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It's only an object. I don't really get upset when something breaks/goes missing. It can easily be replaced.

Precisely why to avoid the cadillac scopes!

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Precisely why to avoid the cadillac scopes!

It's not necessarily a "Cadillac" scope. Since I'm in Canada, everything comes with a much higher price. You could prob get the same one for 1/2 what it costs up here. Besides, I had a sprague that was useless. I paid $20 for it back in 2000 in CA. You get what you pay for. And, as I posted somewhere on this site, my tubes were stolen and "magically" reappeared after 2 days once I contacted a few of the DM's and asked them to keep an eye out. They are somewhat unique and therefore stand out like a sore thumb. Another advantage to putting up the cash for an expensive pair.

I have since placed some distinguishing and not immediately visible marks on them to recognize them if they ever find their way into someone else's posession again. And I keep them that much closer.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
As a side note, it doesn't hurt to make $4500/month takehome. It makes getting a high-end set that much easier.