staying alert in class

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
Hello all, I'm new to EMS and will be starting my EMT-b class in January. I work full time, so my class will be evenings, Mon/Tue/Wed 5:30-10:30.

I'll be eating an early dinner at work (~4:30) before class. I assume we'll have a break for a snack. I'm just concerned about running out of fuel at some point in class. Lab stuff I'll be ok, but sitting in class listening will be my challenge.

Any tips, tricks, snacks, etc that you've used? I don't do energy drinks or shots, coffee is just the occasional morning cup. I eat right and stay active.

I've just always had a hard time focusing during lectures. I can imagine it will be that much harder in the evening after a full day. Although, I'm sure EMT will be a lot better than business classes were.

Thanks!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Bring a thermos of coffee and a piece of fruit?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Try bringing a jar of peanuts. Just make sure no one has a nut allergy!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

And if someone does you will learn how to use an EpiPen real quick!

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Engage in the lecture as much as possible. Ask questions, be willing to volunteer for things, and I would recommend sitting in the front. I find that sitting in the front will help me to stay alert and focused especially during topics I find dry. I would bring water and a healthy snack. Stretching and walks during the breaks have always helped me. I'll even take a break if I find myself drifting.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you find yourself dozing off in class ask your instructor if it's ok for you to stand up in the back of the class. It helps you stay awake.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Adderell helped me.

Of course I have ADD so it helped me hold me attention.

I get up at 345 am. Work until 2, get kids to appointments etc then would have class 1800 to 2200

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Major tip: stay away from high carb foods/snacks. The insulin response you'll get from those is one of the things that'll make you very drowsy.

TomP

Forum Crew Member
Bring a recorder and record all the lectures. It's what I did all through medic school and then I would listen to them later. It's hard even if you are awake to take everything in the first go around. I would find whole parts of a lecture that I knew I was awake for but must have zoned out because I didn't remember it at all.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Bring a recorder and record all the lectures. It's what I did all through medic school and then I would listen to them later. It's hard even if you are awake to take everything in the first go around. I would find whole parts of a lecture that I knew I was awake for but must have zoned out because I didn't remember it at all.
Agreed... as long as you're allowed to record the lectures, this is a fantastic way to review a lecture!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Agreed... as long as you're allowed to record the lectures, this is a fantastic way to review a lecture!

Seconded what is stated here. Make sure it's ok with your instructor prior. We have a couple of instructors who will not allow any electronics in class (recorders, laptops, tablets, etc)

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

Almonds are a higher yield for snacking, although a bit more expensive.

Cashews are on the lower end, but absolutely amazing.

For yer dollar, you could make a nuts-n-raisin mix on the cheap and survive for weeks.

OP
OP
Apple Bill

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
Thanks everyone!

It's no so much falling asleep that I'm worried about, just losing focus or yawning. I hate to think what goes through a lecturer's mind when students are yawning.

I keep a huge bag of sea salt almonds in my desk along with a bag of raisins for my afternoon snack. I'll bring some of that along to school.

Will definitely sit front & center.

Good tip on recording.

Thanks again, I appreciate the responses.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I found that when I freebased some crank in the parking lot before class I was WIDE AWAKE for the entire lecture. Also, why is there so much skin on my arms?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I found that when I freebased some crank in the parking lot before class I was WIDE AWAKE for the entire lecture. Also, why is there so much skin on my arms?
Just don't try to pull it off...

OP
OP
Apple Bill

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
Given the part of town and time of day classes are held, crank would probably be easier to get than almonds. Believe I'll pass in it though. :D

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
There was a student with narcolepsy in my EMT-B class. It was super awkward when this student would fall asleep in class and her head would hit the table like a rock.... especially when we were practicing skills on each other.....

Get a good nights rest (i know its hard sometimes). Regular exercise has really helped to improve my attention span and general energy level as well. In terms of food I really like veggies. A nutritionist I am friends with always recommends veggies with a crunch (carrots, celery, etc) because she says that the crunch itself produces a psychological effect. I don't know how true it is but I do find I can eat fewer veggies and feel full.

Finally, don't stress out too much. Study and do your job as a student.