OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yep.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
This brings up a question for me. When is it okay for a provider to search a patient for weapons? I am sure there is a fine line between personal safety and patent rights...

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
This brings up a question for me. When is it okay for a provider to search a patient for weapons? I am sure there is a fine line between personal safety and patent rights...

It's always okay to search for weapons. There is no line at all between personal safety and patient rights, mine and my partner's safety always takes precedence over patient rights. It's probably wise to search every patient before they board the ambulance. You can make it discrete by pretending to do a head to toe assessment while you actually search for weapons, have them empty their pockets before getting on the cot if they are able to.

If a patient tells you not to touch them or refuses to relinquish their firearm (for those in concealed carry states) then they don't get on the ambulance. Call the cops if you have to. Remember, scene safe isn't just something you say, it's something that should be in your head every second you are on shift.

It sounds like an unfortunate situation for everyone involved. Hopefully the firefighter wasn't badly hurt and recovers quickly.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
we had a similar situation a while back, except the gun wasnt found until the ER. we try to make it a habit to check for weapons, guns, knifes, ect. I have ran a call on a patient who did have a CCW but also had to go to the hospital with nowhere to put the gun. I offered to lock it in the ambulance safe and his wife came and got the gun before we where done cleaning the rig and in service again. but no patient gets in with their gun. I have not had to transport a cop, but others have and their usually turn their gun over to their Sgt without being prompted knowing that their going to be getting into a gown and don't have a place to lock it in the hospital.

long story short, I will repeat what sir shocksalot said, everyone gets searched. there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in an ambulance, further more no state (that I know of) allows concealed care in a hospital anyway.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It's OMAHA! Not Oakland or Tampa or Bedford-Stuy. Gee!?

Head to toe assessment means palpation right? Although small guns can go into amazing places, like under fat aprons...etc.