Carrie Lendon

Forum Probie
Just curious:

We are looking into getting a station pet and possibly having it trained and registered as a therapy animal.

How many of you have a station pet or been around a station pet? What’s your feel on it? How is the responsibilies shared?

Thanks!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Make sure that whatever pet you get that nobody at the station is allergic or doesn't like them. Would also be good to establish off limits areas for the pet, like dorm rooms, in case anyone doesn't like the pet or is mildly allergic and needs an allergy free area.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
One of the fire stations has a fish.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
download.jpeg

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I know of a station that had bed bugs... does that count as a pet?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We had a newt. It was feral. It was not a good idea.

But seriously, that is an awesome idea.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
We had some mice that would chew holes through our bunkers.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I work with a guy who brings his service dog to work and most of the guys on both the EMS side and fire side seem to be alright with it. You hear the occasional grumble, but never very loud or very long.

The bottom line is it will be just like getting a puppy as a kid. In the beginning it will be the best thing ever, then the shine is going to wear off and its going to become an annoyance to some and a burden for a few who will quickly find they are the only ones who care and do much of anything for the animal. Basically, look at who had a pet at home and who doesn't. If you have more don'ts than do's, this idea probably isn't going to work out the way you think.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In the beginning it will be the best thing ever, then the shine is going to wear off and its going to become an annoyance to some and a burden for a few who will quickly find they are the only ones who care and do much of anything for the animal.

This.

There’s a decent chance that it just won’t work out as well as you hope, and the animal will be the one who suffers.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Who takes the dog out when everyone is out on a call?

Whoever gets back first. Far from a perfect system I admit, but the man came back from the sand box missing pieces. If I need to clean up the occasional mess to make things easier for him, I can live with that.