Spinal Immobilization or Not ?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I agree that a single beer does not revoke your rights as a Pt. But in a situation like this with a Hx of substance abuse I'd be more inclined to lean towards the Pt having more than one beer onboard, but then again, it all depends on your assessment of the Pt and your better judgement.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Um, if this patient did not fall or suffer any traumatic event then what good is putting her on a spine board going to do?

Could it be that there is a medical cause and not a traumatic one for her pain and lack of movement?

*Brown smashes head repeatedly on wall

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
That is a very dangerous line of thinking. Kidnapping is a pretty serious thing to have on your record.

Someone's had a single beer and they cut their hand while slicing lemons, someone sees a bunch of blood and calls 911. Dude who's cut just wants to AMA. Does the single beer mean they're blackout drunk and might have fallen down a flight of stairs?

Please reread my reply. It didn't say anything about transport against thier will... it did say, "If you've had ANY alcohol, you've been disqualified from my selective spinal imob criteria." That doesn't mean I'm gonna scoop 'em up and shove 'em in rig while they kick and scream. :)

And no, a single beer does not mean the PT loses all rights. It doesn't make any judgement about their level of intoxication or ability to make decisions. It means that MY index of suspiscion is higher and due to the litigeous society we live in, my MPD, the EMS Council and the company I work for, prefer that I (or any other EMS professional) place this person in spinal precautions.

And the cut hand vs the original 10/10 back pain with neuro deficit are two entirely different scenarios.

And Brown, while you're busy smashing your head, look again at the NEXUS protocol and see if the criteria in the original scenario precludes field clearance.

These highlighted points maybe?

A cervical spine is determined to be stable if:
  • There is no posterior midline cervical tenderness
  • There is no evidence of intoxication
  • The patient is alert and oriented to person, place, time, and event
  • There is no focal neurological deficit
  • There are no painful distracting injuries (e.g., long bone fracture)

Please, don't be argumentative just for the sake of increasing your post count. Both you and I know that, while in the field, there is NO DEFINITIVE WAY to determine if the pain and neuro deficit is medical vs. traumatic.

I don't know what the MOI was. I don't know if there was ANY injury. What I do know is, the person has alcohol on board, has an injury (or some type) and can't be relied on for a 100% actual and factual account of what happened.

Here in the states, (I know, we're a country with a sad excuse for EMS) the standard of care is still the C-Collar and LSB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Hmmmm....

Called out to a 50 year old female patient with back pain. Patient is found lying on the couch. Head to toe finds pain in the back radiating to her neck, and weak strength in hands bi-laterally. Pain is 10/10, constant sharp pain, made worse by movement.
Patient has a history of ETOH abuse, woke up today with severe back pain. Patient is unsure of what caused the back pain and has been drinking today.
When asked states she didn't fall.
Spinal Immobilization required ?

Based on what is provided here, there is no evidence of trauma, and without a significant index of suspicion, this does not qualify for NEXUS/Selective Spinal Immobilization because there is no indication of trauma. Assuming that the rest of the exam/interview does not provide evidence of trauma or something odd, such as bone density issues or something that may lead you down the path of considering spinal injury, this patient does not need a backboard, except maybe to assist movement, but I think that a scoop would be more appropriate. I think that to treat from an unfounded fear is the worst care we can possibly give our patients and abdicates our role as patient advocates. In my not so humble opinion... ;)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Based on what is provided here, there is no evidence of trauma, and without a significant index of suspicion, this does not qualify for NEXUS/Selective Spinal Immobilization because there is no indication of trauma. Assuming that the rest of the exam/interview does not provide evidence of trauma or something odd, such as bone density issues or something that may lead you down the path of considering spinal injury, this patient does not need a backboard, except maybe to assist movement, but I think that a scoop would be more appropriate. I think that to treat from an unfounded fear is the worst care we can possibly give our patients and abdicates our role as patient advocates. In my not so humble opinion... ;)

Maybe. If I had a clear idea as to what happened, like a husband that said, "she was 100% normal last night and she woke up this way and she hasn't been out of bed since 9 last night and she hasn't been out of my sight" and if there was no alcohol in the equation, I would advocate for a scoop as well.

However, with the variables presented in this case, there is far too much that is unknown and the ETOH abuse and alcohol on board raises my index of suspiscion.

So, to that end, I know I will NOT bring a non boarded patient into an ER who is complaining of 10/10 back pain with accompanied neuro deficit, and who, by her own admission, has been drinking and doesn't know what caused the pain.

You can make your own decisions... I know what mine is.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
50 year old female
back pain.
lying on the couch
pain in the back radiating to her neck
weak strength in hands bi-laterally
Pain is 10/10, constant sharp
made worse by movement
history of ETOH abuse
woke up today with pain, unsure of cause, didn't fall
has been drinking

I'd treat this as a "splint her as she lays"
Let her know she must go to the hospital.
Explain she'll be transferred on to your gurney,
You'll be moving her over to it with as little adjustment from her current position as possible.
Once on the gurney, explain you'll be supporting her in the most comfortable position possible for her for the ride.
Stabilize her in position, one segment at a time with folded towels, sheets, pillows, what not. Use duct tape if it's useful!
If there is any movement needed, ask her to initiate it.
Don't be afraid to let her know you WILL need to get her on board within a few minutes.

I forgot to put the title up:

Protocol and the elimination of Discernment!

Last edited by a moderator:

22cent

Forum Probie
Backboards are bad. If your system gives you any leniancy, consider a more humane approach to immobilizing. Our system utilizes a vacuum type mattress that does the job fine without leaving nasty side effects like pressure sores and decreased circulation. I mean really? Have you ever spent more than a few minutes on a LSB? They are an archaic vestige of old medicine with very few facts to support the benefits versus risk.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Called out to a 50 year old female patient with back pain. Patient is found lying on the couch. Head to toe finds pain in the back radiating to her neck, and weak strength in hands bi-laterally. Pain is 10/10, constant sharp pain, made worse by movement.
Patient has a history of ETOH abuse, woke up today with severe back pain. Patient is unsure of what caused the back pain and has been drinking today.

I want more information before I make a decision.

Does the patient live in a rancher or a 3rd floor walk up? Is there anyone else in the home? What time of the day is it? What has the patient been doing up until the time she called 911? Does she have a history of back pain/problems? How much alcohol has she had today? How much alcohol does she have normally? What does she normally do during the day?

Past history and meds? Past surgeries? Physical exam results - where exactly is the pain, "back pain" is pretty nebulous, bruising, swelling etc? Define weak strength? Are we looking at a neuro deficit or a woman with a normally weak grip strength? What does the rest of the neuro exam show (or not show?). What are her vital signs? EKG? 12 lead? Yes, I want a 12 lead - 50 yo female, back pain that radiates.

More information is needed.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
She denied trauma, why would you board her? If she strolled into the ER with the same symptoms would they board her, I think not.

I dont do my job in fear of litigation, so CYA never enters into my decisions, nice comfy ride to the ER in position of comfort.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP

From where does the back pain originate? What does it look like? How does it feel to your hands? Is she C-A-O X 4 and verbally appropriate? Is the pain from the spine? Or is it from the erector spinae? Maybe latissimus dorsi.

Regardless of which I can't come up with a legitimate reason to package this pt based on pain radiating TO the neck. FROM? Yes. TO? No.

However, I might use the LSB to move her. But that's about it.

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Eh, this is up in the air for me.
Per the patient, there's no trauma. I'm more than willing to transport this patient in her position of comfort. But, with proper padding, and the patient being backboarded and collared properly could alleviate some of the pain she's experiencing. Because she's being strapped down to a stationary in-line position, and she won't be able to flop around, she'll remain more comfortable.

But, obviously, if she starts adamently refusing the backboard and won't tolerate it, then I'm not going to subject her to it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Scoop w/ padding would be my choice. No bloody collar or stupid LSB. No trauma mechanism means she doesn't even open my SI protocol

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Nope, no spinal immoblization on this patient. Doesn't meet criteria, and, most importantly, would not be in the patient's best interest.