Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Guardian,
If just one person realizes how easy it is to make a mistake that could cost someone their life or change their life and the lives of others forever, I don't think anything is wasted.

There are a lot of young people out there who might think it is okay to have a few drinks before work or after work and get into either an ambulance or their POV. Motor vehicle collisions happen even under the best of circumstances. Even if the accident is not your fault, you may have be better able to avoid the other person making the mistake if there was not alcohol in your system regardless of whether you are considered legally drunk.

When one drinks alcohol, one should always be aware of their limitations and the consequences that can occur from their actions where motor vehicles are concerned. If your company has a zero-tolerance policy, I would hope one understands what that means.

Nobody including the company appeared to be hasty in any decisions until the facts were conclusive. She was probably placed on leave during this investigation. Publicity is probably the last thing this ambulance service wants. Small towns really don't like to be put in the national spotlight for things like this.

I don't understand why you are so angry at those of us that do not support drinking and driving. I am not asking for the death penalty for this girl. I think that others should learn something from her mistake which may have been the first time she ever did anything like this. Guardian, maybe she had well meaning friends saying some of the same things you have said in your posts by the way of excuses while she was drinking.

Any drunk driving related traffic death is a senseless death.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Guardian,
If just one person realizes how easy it is to make a mistake that could cost someone their life or change their life and the lives of others forever, I don't think anything is wasted.

There are a lot of young people out there who might think it is okay to have a few drinks before work or after work and get into either an ambulance or their POV. Motor vehicle collisions happen even under the best of circumstances. Even if the accident is not your fault, you may have be better able to avoid the other person making the mistake if there was not alcohol in your system regardless of whether you are considered legally drunk.

When one drinks alcohol, one should always be aware of their limitations and the consequences that can occur from their actions where motor vehicles are concerned. If your company has a zero-tolerance policy, I would hope one understands what that means.

Nobody including the company appeared to be hasty in any decisions until the facts were conclusive. She was probably placed on leave during this investigation. Publicity is probably the last thing this ambulance service wants. Small towns really don't like to be put in the national spotlight for things like this.

I don't understand why you are so angry at those of us that do not support drinking and driving. I am not asking for the death penalty for this girl. I think that others should learn something from her mistake which may have been the first time she ever did anything like this. Guardian, maybe she had well meaning friends saying some of the same things you have said in your posts by the way of excuses while she was drinking.

Any drunk driving related traffic death is a senseless death.

You obviously haven’t grasped anything I’ve said thus far. So, I’m going to be merciful and try again. I still haven’t seen conclusive proof that ETOH played any role here. In fact, now I learn that her ETOH was measured at .07 at the hospital and .09 was speculation (estimation). THERE WAS NO PROOF THAT ETOH IMPAIRED HER DRIVING.

If you go back and read my previous post, I was saying that the company dropped her because of publicity, not because of the zero-tolerance rule they cited. So, I agree they wanted to avoid publicity; that was my point. If you’re not going to at least make an attempt to understand my posts, why comment on them?

It does appear this girl made some bad choices. For example, why was she able to drive 70 in a 40 and not stop at a light? If I were in the back, I would have been screaming at the top of my lungs for her to stop. Then I would have come around and taken the keys from her. I submit to you, that it is our messed up (I’m trying to be polite here) culture that caused this accident. Normal people don’t drive 70 in a 40 and they usually stop at lights. But somehow, it is ok for us not to do so. I have run every type of emergency in the book, and I have yet seen a reason to drive like that.

So, in conclusion, we need to make some serious changes. First, we have to increase standards. We need people with a certain level of maturity and intelligence. I think anyone who gets excited about turning on a siren, is a liability. I view the use of lights and sirens as an unfortunate necessity. The people we are hiring to function as EVOs aren’t cutting the mustard—evidenced by the death of two men. If we can’t raise the standards, we should consider taking away our privilege to use lights and sirens. We’re obviously not responsible enough to use them. Maybe then, these immature, recreational idiots would move on and we could work on making this a real profession.

Did ETOH play a role here? Maybe. Should we drink before we go on duty? Obviously not. Please don’t insult our intelligence by playing the role of captain obvious. I mean, if you really need to tell people this, then we are in serious trouble. I guess that’s another debate. We should focus our discussions on the real causative problem. Blaming this tragedy on ETOH is to completely missing the mark. The real cause is our current EMS culture that glorifies reckless behavior.

As an aside, and going back to my original post: I still believe this girl is innocent until proven guilty. For all I know, her accelerator pedal stuck to the floor and that was the reason for her reckless driving. Calling her a murderer and a drunk driver was wrong. Even my above opinions are nothing more that speculation as to what happen that day. I was not there, and I still want to give her any benefit of my doubt. I hope you all feel the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
double post

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
You obviously haven’t grasped anything I’ve said thus far. So, I’m going to be merciful and try again. I still haven’t seen conclusive proof that ETOH played any role here. In fact, now I learn that her ETOH was measured at .07 at the hospital and .09 was speculation (estimation). THERE WAS NO PROOF THAT ETOH IMPAIRED HER DRIVING.

Guardian, a few of us have grasped what you said. It's just that we disagree with it. Whether she was .09, .07 or .01, she had alcohol in her system when making an emergency run. She should have been at .00.

If you go back and read my previous post, I was saying that the company dropped her because of publicity, not because of the zero-tolerance rule they cited. So, I agree they wanted to avoid publicity; that was my point. If you’re not going to at least make an attempt to understand my posts, why comment on them?

Your thought on this is an opinion. I respect your opinion, but whether she was terminated because of the policy or the publicity will never be known unless you speak to the administration directly. I hope that it was the policy that got her terminated. I'm fine with it taking this long, as long as she wasn't allowed behind the wheel in the meantime.

It does appear this girl made some bad choices. For example, why was she able to drive 70 in a 40 and not stop at a light? If I were in the back, I would have been screaming at the top of my lungs for her to stop. Then I would have come around and taken the keys from her. I submit to you, that it is our messed up (I’m trying to be polite here) culture that caused this accident. Normal people don’t drive 70 in a 40 and they usually stop at lights. But somehow, it is ok for us not to do so. I have run every type of emergency in the book, and I have yet seen a reason to drive like that.

Could it have been the alcohol? :unsure:

So, in conclusion, we need to make some serious changes. First, we have to increase standards. We need people with a certain level of maturity and intelligence. I think anyone who gets excited about turning on a siren, is a liability. I view the use of lights and sirens as an unfortunate necessity. The people we are hiring to function as EVOs aren’t cutting the mustard—evidenced by the death of two men. If we can’t raise the standards, we should consider taking away our privilege to use lights and sirens. We’re obviously not responsible enough to use them. Maybe then, these immature, recreational idiots would move on and we could work on making this a real profession.

Did ETOH play a role here? Maybe. Should we drink before we go on duty? Obviously not. Please don’t insult our intelligence by playing the role of captain obvious. I mean, if you really need to tell people this, then we are in serious trouble. I guess that’s another debate. We should focus our discussions on the real causative problem. Blaming this tragedy on ETOH is to completely missing the mark. The real cause is our current EMS culture that glorifies reckless behavior.

Please show me where we glorify reckless behavior on a regular basis within the industry.

As an aside, and going back to my original post: I still believe this girl is innocent until proven guilty. For all I know, her accelerator pedal stuck to the floor and that was the reason for her reckless driving. Calling her a murderer and a drunk driver was wrong. Even my above opinions are nothing more that speculation as to what happen that day. I was not there, and I still want to give her any benefit of my doubt. I hope you all feel the same way.

I agree with you. She is innocent until proven guilty. So far some evidence has shown that she did under the influence of alcohol at limits above the legal limit. For that she should be sentenced according to law. For being under the influence (of any level) she should lose her job, which it seems she has.

Again, this is my opinion. We're all entitled to have one.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
"Please show me where we glorify reckless behavior on a regular basis within the industry."

Ever seen the youtube video of the guy singing while driving emergent? Open your eyes.

I doubt ETOH played a role here, for the reasons I've already given. I did say in my last post that ETOH could have played a role. Regardless, you are missing the larger point, if you focus on ETOH and ignore the real problem. Oh, and as far as saying that emergent drivers shouldn't have any ETOH in their system, I agree. How are we going to ensure this? Send our providers to the hospital for BAC before every shift? Everyone absorbs ETOH differently; the world is not black and white like you portray it.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
"Please show me where we glorify reckless behavior on a regular basis within the industry."

Ever seen the youtube video of the guy singing while driving emergent? Open your eyes.

Let me restate with more emphasis: Please show me where we glorify reckles behavior on a regular basis within the industry.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Let me restate with more emphasis: Please show me where we glorify reckles behavior on a regular basis within the industry.

Open your eyes and look at how these idiots behave. I can't produce an official document where it says, "today, lets all act like a bunch of idiots." I am speaking of my experience. I see people making bad choices all the time. How many times have you seen an emergent vehicle blow though a red light or drive too fast? I've seen it a lot, and the behavior is obviously tolerated, because it continues to happen. My guess, the girl wasn't afraid of the consequences or what her partner would think, because she thought our culture permitted such behavior. This is my theory/opinion/whatever you want to call it. Do you have a better explanation for why all these people drive like idiots? I'd love to hear it. And don't waste anyone's time by saying it was ETOH without proof of impairment. It doesn't account for the other 99% of ambulance collisions that occur without ETOH.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Open your eyes and look at how these idiots behave. I can't produce an official document where it says, "today, lets all act like a bunch of idiots." I am speaking of my experience. I see people making bad choices all the time. How many times have you seen an emergent vehicle blow though a red light or drive too fast? I've seen it a lot, and the behavior is obviously tolerated, because it continues to happen. My guess, the girl wasn't afraid of the consequences or what her partner would think, because she thought our culture permitted such behavior. This is my theory/opinion/whatever you want to call it. Do you have a better explanation for why all these people drive like idiots? I'd love to hear it. And don't waste anyone's time by saying it was ETOH without proof of impairment. It doesn't account for the other 99% of ambulance collisions that occur without ETOH.

If you see it why don't you complain?

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
So essentially what you are saying is that she would have killed these people anyway with or without the alcohol? She may have been of sound mind and deliberately was driving at 70 mph and running red lights? I don't think that will go well at trial either. In my previous posts I did not call her a murderer. As I stated earlier, this may have been the first time she ever drove after consuming alcohol. But, if you are correct, then she is just a very irresponsible, reckless person that would have eventually killed someone without the 0.09 ETOH level. I am against drunk driving but as you have shown, this was probably an act of vehicular homicide since she was in control of what she was doing.

Since we do have EVOC and state statutes governing the rules of the road for ambulances and she was a paid employee, not a volunteer, she can not plead ignorance of the law. I don't think you'll get a jury to buy "the system made her do it". But, you have made a case that it wasn't the ETOH. No pleading down. She was not impaired. So, quilty of vehicular homicide x 2.

Now I truly hope they go for the maximum penalty. And, as you pointed out she did have a partner. That person also should be tried just as if he/she too was driving the ambulance that killed those two people.

Thank you Guardian for showing me the error of my posts. She must be made an example of to send a message to the EMS culture that is promoting this reckless and deadly behavior.

Okay Guardian, whatever.... <_<

The only message I wanted young people to take from this is not to make the same mistakes. Don't drink and drive regardless of how sober you feel with an alcohol level of 0.09 in your body. Drink responsibly. Keep your drinking pals out of the same trouble. And, don't work if you've been drinking and your body hasn't had enough time to detox. Your career and life or someone else's may depend on it.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
The only message I wanted young people to take from this is not to make the same mistakes. Don't drink and drive regardless of how sober you feel with an alcohol level of 0.09 in your body. Drink responsibly. Keep your drinking pals out of the same trouble. And, don't work if you've been drinking and your body hasn't had enough time to detox. Your career and life or someone else's may depend on it.

Good message, poor example. Right from the beginning, you persecuted this girl for drunk driving without sufficient evidence. You did this to promote your own agenda. In essence, you have sensationalized this story to make your own unrelated point that drinking and driving is wrong. You did this at the cost of this girl’s presumption of innocence and thus turned you back on a fellow ems provider. I believe your hearts in the right place, but you were wrong.

Yes, I am saying she would have most likely done this with or without the ETOH. I am also saying that putting this girl in prison for murder wouldn't change anything. Mostly because we have do gooders like you convincing people that this problem is one born out of ETOH and distracting people from the real problem. I submit that it was our tolerated culture that killed those men. Again, your heart may be in the right place, but you’re dead wrong on this issue and are doing more harm than good.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This thread is reopened, provided everyone can abide by the forum rules and be respectful to each other.

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
Guardian -

I am on your side on this. We are so quick to eat our young in EMS. I take medication to help me sleep. What's the difference between that and having a drink several hours before my shift? I don't drink alcohol at all. Sometimes the medicine I take metabolizes faster than others. I mean to say, that sometimes I fall asleep right away and other times it takes me longer to fall asleep. I have a personal rule for myself that I will not work with less than eight hours of downtime after taking my meds.

My point is that while she had ETOH in her system, that does not conclusively prove that it played any factor in the accident. Her stupidity in driving recklessly seems to very definitely be a major factor, but the mere fact that there was a measurable amount of ETOH does not make that the end all of the story.

Moreover, NONE of us was there. NONE of us knows all the details of incident, the conditions of the scene, or the particulars of the call. Most of you are damning this kid based on ETOH and an unfortunate chain of events. YES, it is tragic and like most every MVC, I am sure was a matter of human error and completely preventable.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
no alcohol should be in your system when operating an ambulance or teching a call. Nuff said.

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
no alcohol should be in your system when operating an ambulance or teching a call. Nuff said.
No, it's not "nuff said." You're simplifying the problem here. If you think that alcohol or other substances are never going to be in a persons system while working then you live in a fantasy world. I personally think that alcohol has no place in a civilized society and if we could enforce it, I'd support prohibition again....but I accept the world I live in. I am not justifying this persons actions, but I am saying that to simply say ETOH was the total issue is to say you're blind and unaware of the world you live in.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
No, it's not "nuff said." You're simplifying the problem here. If you think that alcohol or other substances are never going to be in a persons system while working then you live in a fantasy world. I personally think that alcohol has no place in a civilized society and if we could enforce it, I'd support prohibition again....but I accept the world I live in. I am not justifying this persons actions, but I am saying that to simply say ETOH was the total issue is to say you're blind and unaware of the world you live in.

This bears repeating: Alcohol effects everyone differently; I know for a fact that I can easily pass a field sobriety test with a BAC of .10 and that it takes a lot to get me to a .10 (not what it sounds like, trust me) and have watched someone with a BAC of .06 stand up to take the test and fall flat on her face after very few drinks. If you've been involved in EMS for any amount of time, you should know this unless you've never opened your eyes; how many times have you brought in someone who tested at .30 or higher but was still (relatively) conscious and speaking?

Is alcohol the only issue here? Absolutely not. Is it wrong to say that she was in the wrong to have been drinking before/during her shift? Absolutely not. Is it wrong to completely disregard the fact that she had been drinking before/during her shift? Absolutely.

Nobody knows for certain how she was acting during the call, if she was drunk or not. All we know is that her BAC was .07something. Which is more than enough to cause some people to have problems. Gee...could that be the reason that coming to work with alcohol still floating in your system is a bad idea? Why yes, yes I think that's it!

There are a whole lot of things wrong with what happened. Human stupidity (in a bunch of ways), dumbass kids wanting to run the woowoo's and flashy thingies...booze...people not knowing what they are doing...people not caring that she'd been drinking relatively recently, if not VERY recently...lot's of things. Alcohol is just one. It's to bad that that is what get's focused on and everything else get's disregarded, but that still doesn't make it right or not a big deal.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It does not matter if she had 0.8 or 100 etc. or Cymbalta, Ambien, Lortab, etc.. one that takes the responsibility of driving an vehicle is accountable for their actions. Albeit it be emergency or public vehicles. True, the public, the patients, etc. places their trust that we will be responsible not to ingest, partake in any substance that will alter our reaction time, reflexes or impedes any of our senses in driving. Period.

Again, in this case it is irrelevant. Blowing through an intersection at 70 mph, and not being in control and killing two innocent victims is what makes her guilty. Sorry, video cam, and investigative reports still describes she was guilty. Yes, the verdict is still out... only temporary.

What amazes me is the tolerance that we appear to have as a profession. Zero tolerance is and should be the only acceptable method. As an Emergency Profession we are quite aware of variable levels of alcohol, medications and the effects that they can promote. We need to police our own profession, and make sure that NO such tolerance is ever allowed. Our public asks of this, our families ask of this and we as a profession should be able to deliver this without any debate.

R/r 911

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
Zero tolerance? So, should children be expelled from school for doodling a gun? After all, it's zero tolerance. It's a kin to raising children. I have to treat my six year-old differently than my four year-old. We have rules and consequences for their violation, but with each violation there is a different circumstance surrounding it. Zero policy stances are very difficult to manage, because there are so many scenarios.

I am certain that my meds could be found in my blood on any given day. However, I take responsibility. If I felt impaired in the slightest little bit, I would opt out of my shift.

How big was this kid? How much and what kind of alcohol had he/she ingested? How long prior to his/her shift? Is this kid on any other medication that might interact with the addition of alcohol? Does this kid have any other medical conditions (diabetic for example)? When and what was the last oral intake? How often does this kid drink and what kind of tolerance to alcohol does he/she have?

There are many circumstances surrounding this most likely preventable crash that I am sure we have no idea about. By the way RR, have you seem the video from that cam or are you basing your decision on some editorialized interpretation? That's a serious question, I just didn't know if you had some kind of resource others of us do not.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone. I am just saying we don't know everything about it and there are so many different circumstances. I have had moments driving the ambulance and my own vehicles, not necessarily on a call really, where I have been in a 45 mph zone and looked at my speedometer only to realize that I was well in excess of that. I know for me, especially at night when the lights are shining back on to the windshield, the back of the inside of truck is all lit up and the driver compartment is dark, it requires much more concentration for me than during the day.

BTW, I read that this patient was a DNR, but did anyone say what the patient was being treated and transported for and/or what their condition was?

I am very prideful of my profession. I take great pride in my appearance while at work. I am always conscious that I am representing my company, my EMS system, my hospitals, and the health-care industry in general. I am very cognoscente of the public relations role of my job. I am understand that my actions, appearance, and demeanor can set the tone for the rest of the patient and their family's health-care experience as the first response caregiver.

I am not trying to trivialize this kids actions or berate our profession. Yes, the PR on this hurts the publics perception of EMS in general. It's a very unfortunate loss for everyone concerned, but WE are not the jury and the last time I checked, declaring a person guilty is their job, not ours.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This "kid" was not a child, nor her responsibilities was of a kid. Yes, zero tolerance! Sorry, there is NO excuse of alcohol lingering in your system within the next few hours you have to work. Why should she be excused or anyone else? This was not a case of ignorance, rather she CHOSE to partake, and ingest before duty, she CHOSE to drive the vehicle in an reckless and inappropriate manner. The same as entering the intersection at 70 mph, no matter what the situation there is no reason entering an intersection at that high rate of speed, even if she was declared sober!

We are not hear to "train" or "raise" any of these professionals. They should have met the minimal standards way before ever obtaining their certifications and license. Yes, we are to fine tune and hone their skills to build upon, but not to teach the basics of life. If they do not know the such as reckless driving, they do not need to be driving.. EMS or not.

Again, why we are we making excuses?

Murder is murder. Pre-intent, possibly, since she obviously knew the risks. The same if a surgeon attempts to operate while under the influence, or a pilot that is responsible for a crowded aircraft, has a few to "calm down".

If one can't handle the responsibility associated with the job, then don't enter it. It is really simple. I watch my risks, and have been responsible as a professional. I have always known it is part of the obligation one takes when they enter this profession. I figure, if I can do it, and as well as many others, then everyone else should be able to as well.

American Ambulance Association needs to have more intervention with EMS insurance companies. Maybe, introducing high fines or loss of coverage will change EMS administrators to start changing policies and become more actively involved. States need to monitor DWI/DUI of licensed and certified EMT's as other health professions do, and if there is an obvious trend, mandate intervention such as PEER programs.

Sorry, this profession demands a person should have a clear and level head at all times. Rationale judgement is essential at all times, anything that could possibly interfering needs to weighed heavily.

Sure give her a fair trial. Just as well, she and those that partake of such need to take responsibility for their actions.

R/r 911

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
This "kid" was not a child, nor her responsibilities was of a kid. Yes, zero tolerance! Sorry, there is NO excuse of alcohol lingering in your system within the next few hours you have to work. Why should she be excused or anyone else? This was not a case of ignorance, rather she CHOSE to partake, and ingest before duty, she CHOSE to drive the vehicle in an reckless and inappropriate manner. The same as entering the intersection at 70 mph, no matter what the situation there is no reason entering an intersection at that high rate of speed, even if she was declared sober!
How old was she? I know lots of EMT-B's that are barely 18. Ever make bad choices when you were 18? I know I did; some more serious than others.

We are not hear to "train" or "raise" any of these professionals. They should have met the minimal standards way before ever obtaining their certifications and license.

I disagree with you. We're always students and it IS our job to pass on our experience and knowledge. Do you think this young lady didn't know how to drive before she got in that ambulance. Do you think her company would have let her work the streets without believing she was competent? How naive are you?

Again, why we are we making excuses?
No one is making excuses...we're simply saying we weren't there and there is all kinds of reasons why the events could have unfolded the way they did.

Murder is murder. Pre-intent, possibly, since she obviously knew the risks. The same if a surgeon attempts to operate while under the influence, or a pilot that is responsible for a crowded aircraft, has a few to "calm down".

I'm sorry RR...you have convinced me that this evil murdering young lady willfully got out of bed that day and consciously thought to herself that she was going to go to purposely go to work after having consumed alcohol and seek out a DNR patient and an intersection in which she could enter an intersection at the same time as another car because she wanted to kill someone that day. I have seen the light.... Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

That's what and how it would have had to go down to be a murder charge. Best you can hope for is a manslaughter charge and even then you're stretching.

American Ambulance Association needs to have more intervention with EMS insurance companies. Maybe, introducing high fines or loss of coverage will change EMS administrators to start changing policies and become more actively involved. States need to monitor DWI/DUI of licensed and certified EMT's as other health professions do, and if there is an obvious trend, mandate intervention such as PEER programs.
Wait...now I am really confused. Is this tragic accident now the fault of the employer, because I was under the impression the "murderer" was the driver?

Sorry, this profession demands a person should have a clear and level head at all times. Rationale judgment is essential at all times, anything that could possibly interfering needs to weighed heavily.
No, it really doesn't. It requires that a person have a level head most of the time, but we are all human beings and as such we sometimes are not all that we should be. I know I make mistakes. I know I have had calls that left me flustered or that I really had to work hard to get through. I routinely walk away from calls thinking that I could have done things differently and I always try to learn from it.

I really respect your technical knowledge RR. I always learn something from the answers you give on this site to people with questions. I also respect the high standard you place on our profession and those serving in it. I am just at a loss, though, with your condemning nature all of the sudden. Out of curiosity, have you ever experienced a loss from a situation like this or somehow been involved with an experience similar personally or maybe as an employee of a company that had something like this happen? You just seem so passionate about it so I thought I would ask.

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Since we do have many young people here on this forum, what are you saying?

Zero tolerance policies are unfair?

Are the standards for EMS too high?

Is it too much to ask an employee not to show up to work with alcohol in their system?

It's okay to have few drinks and drive an ambulance if you feel you can handle it?

Would you be okay with a partner driving that had a few drinks prior to shift?

If you don't want the person driving the ambulance to take responsibility for his/her actions and you don't want the ambulance company to be proactive, then who?

By not setting standards, policies and examples of acceptable behavior, is anyone or the profession going to be helped?

Is it too much to ask to take care of each other and report unsafe driving and substance use without being labeled by others for snitching against one of our own?

What happens to this young woman of 22 will be up to the court. But, are you saying it is okay for a member of the EMS profession to do ANY of her mistakes and expect the rest of the professionals to excuse the behavior?

I disagree with you. We're always students and it IS our job to pass on our experience and knowledge. Do you think this young lady didn't know how to drive before she got in that ambulance. Do you think her company would have let her work the streets without believing she was competent? How naive are you?

Are you saying she knew how to drive or not drive? Reckless at 70 mph? And of course you seem sure it was not alcohol? She had no previous record and I gave her the benefit of the doubt that this was her first time of being stupid at having alcohol in her system at work. I was told I was wrong in an earlier post because alcohol of 0.9 could not affect a young woman of 22 that looks like average weight of not more than 140. So was she just a pure stupid reckless driver on that one night?

I guess all I really want to know is do you think it is okay to have even 0.01 alcohol in your body (never mind the 0.09) and drive an ambulance? Do you think that that a person can willingly drink prior to shift, knowingly go to work and drive an ambulance?

Forget the young woman and the two victims.

Do you believe in zero tolerance for alcohol in your blood at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.