Southside Virginia Emergency Crew EMT stops police chase with ambulance - EMT Charged

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Last edited by a moderator:

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
If you watch a few of those "worlds greatest police chases" shows, you'll inevitably see truckers using their rigs as a rolling roadblock to help the police. I doubt they get tickets or get arrested.

I'm sticking to my position that we shouldn't rush to judgment.

By the way, to shift the question a bit, I hope the police had good reason to be in, as Roscoe would say, "peeeersooot!" Police chases get people killed, and then you find out the crime of the century that resulted in a Blues Brothers-esque collission was theft of a candy bar, or speeding or something. With the congestion on New Jersey's roads, and the population density, the Attorney General's pursuit policy says you can only pursue if, and I'm paraphrasing, a serious felony involving risk to life is in progress.
I'm not trying to shift blame, but if it was serious enough for the police to endanger the motoring public by engaging in a high-speed chase, maybe whatever was going on was serious enough to justify the risk to an ambulance, even if we're not supposed to "get involved."

I like the lawyer perspective, you could go either way based on your mood

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Which ambulance costs 100k?

Most any new type I or type III...even real nice type IIs will get up into 6 digits.

Our type IIIs were like 125k a piece if not more. Times that by 42 units = why Ambulance companies aren't cheap to run.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I like the lawyer perspective, you could go either way based on your mood

That wasn't really my lawyerly opinion. That opinion would be something along the lines of, "Are you out of your mind?! Do you know how much liability you just subjected yourself and the company/squad to?!"

AmbuLift

Forum Probie
Most any new type I or type III...even real nice type IIs will get up into 6 digits.

Our type IIIs were like 125k a piece if not more. Times that by 42 units = why Ambulance companies aren't cheap to run.

Thanks - but what's the split between the vehicle itself and the medical equipment inside?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Thanks - but what's the split between the vehicle itself and the medical equipment inside?

A box ambulance, by itself, without the equipment inside, costs somewhere in the $150K range. If you add up everything inside, especially for an ALS rig, you'd be rapidly approaching $200K.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Wow successful code after more than a year with no activity. Dead thread Revived, Read all about it.

And ambulances cost money.