South Carolina EMS

bd2013

Forum Ride Along
Saw you interviewed for Lexington County today.Hopefully you will hear something back soon. Did they say anything about calling you or sending something in the mail next week?

Last edited by a moderator:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Any word yet? :p

How do you feel the second one went? Any idea when you will hear back?

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Saw you interviewed for Lexington County today.Hopefully you will hear something back soon. Did they say anything about calling you or sending something in the mail next week?

Not that I remember. I was impressed with them though, and it's in the area I want to be in, so fingers crossed.

Any word yet? :p

How do you feel the second one went? Any idea when you will hear back?

I thought it went well. I was nervous, but I feel like I handled it ok. Hopefully I'll hear sometime this week.

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
I understand,

40s for a nurse seem to be the lowest I have heard of anywhere..... 60s is what they make here, so if that were the case it would be an easy transition.

Thanks for the info

I work for Medshore Ambulance Serice in Anderson sc we are one of if not the largest third service private in SC. We run in Anderson, Greenville, Richland, Lexington, and Florence counties. Pay decent better equipment than most LP 15 Lucas nice vents WE Run primarily 911 in Anderson but do a good amount of ALS

EVERYWHERE

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I make the move to SC in a week, and start work on the 19th in Lexington.

coatlegs

Forum Ride Along
I make the move to SC in a week, and start work on the 19th in Lexington.

Congrats on your move. I saw in your previous post that you were impressed by them. Can I ask you what it was that impressed you and ultimately helped you decide to take the job?

I got a letter from them today with testing dates in September and December and have been debating if it's something i want to follow through with or not. I am in Ohio and am not familiar with SC at all.

Also how difficult was their whole testing process? The letter says a lift test, interview, megacode scenario.

Thanks for any light you can shed on them.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Congrats on your move. I saw in your previous post that you were impressed by them. Can I ask you what it was that impressed you and ultimately helped you decide to take the job?

I got a letter from them today with testing dates in September and December and have been debating if it's something i want to follow through with or not. I am in Ohio and am not familiar with SC at all.

Also how difficult was their whole testing process? The letter says a lift test, interview, megacode scenario.

Thanks for any light you can shed on them.

Well my wife and I are moving close to her parents who live in Columbia, so I applied places I could commute to from there. That's the main reason I had for taking the job. What impressed me is that they seem to take care of their people. They set you up with five full uniforms and jacket and things like that. They have decent equipment (Phillips monitors, power cots, mostly international trucks), and the pay is good.

They run 12 hour shifts (set days or nights, but everyone starts on nights) out of stations, so no SSM. Their protocols are posted online. Nothing too crazy, and no RSI. They do have a protocol for transporting to urgent care clinics if patients meet the criteria, which I'm interested in seeing.

The interview was a panel with three interviewers, then a lift test (you can change clothes beforehand), then a megacode, and then a written test which was pretty simple and not anything above the national registry.

I really like the area. I'm from another southern state so I won't be getting a huge culture shock. There seems to be a decent amount to do in the columbia area and you're close to Savannah, Charleston, Hilton Head, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Ashville. This will make for some good weekend trips for me and my wife. Plus, the cost of living is low. We're looking at rent somewhere around $500-$700 for a three bedroom house, where we are paying almost $900 for a two bedroom apartment where I live now.

I'm excited about the move. I'll be making more money and spending less on a place to live. It's an area I like and the protocols/equipment are good. I start on Monday though, and I'll have to wait and see how it goes. If you have more questions I'll see what I can find out.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Well my wife and I are moving close to her parents who live in Columbia, so I applied places I could commute to from there. That's the main reason I had for taking the job. What impressed me is that they seem to take care of their people. They set you up with five full uniforms and jacket and things like that. They have decent equipment (Phillips monitors, power cots, mostly international trucks), and the pay is good.

They run 12 hour shifts (set days or nights, but everyone starts on nights) out of stations, so no SSM. Their protocols are posted online. Nothing too crazy, and no RSI. They do have a protocol for transporting to urgent care clinics if patients meet the criteria, which I'm interested in seeing.

The interview was a panel with three interviewers, then a lift test (you can change clothes beforehand), then a megacode, and then a written test which was pretty simple and not anything above the national registry.

I really like the area. I'm from another southern state so I won't be getting a huge culture shock. There seems to be a decent amount to do in the columbia area and you're close to Savannah, Charleston, Hilton Head, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Ashville. This will make for some good weekend trips for me and my wife. Plus, the cost of living is low. We're looking at rent somewhere around $500-$700 for a three bedroom house, where we are paying almost $900 for a two bedroom apartment where I live now.

I'm excited about the move. I'll be making more money and spending less on a place to live. It's an area I like and the protocols/equipment are good. I start on Monday though, and I'll have to wait and see how it goes. If you have more questions I'll see what I can find out.

You said the money is good, what is the pay?

binkley10

Forum Ride Along
Overtime in Richland or Lexington co

Is there a wide variety of opportunity for overtime in Richland county or Lexington County? I plan to move from Ohio with the wife within the next 6-12 months. Anything helps thanks

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Is there a wide variety of opportunity for overtime in Richland county or Lexington County? I plan to move from Ohio with the wife within the next 6-12 months. Anything helps thanks

Yes, at least where I work. I believe both are hiring as well, and you definitely will find others from Ohio here. That's kind of a running joke in SC.

binkley10

Forum Ride Along
Awesome, I called down, the lady I talked to said they are constantly hiring so hopefully within the next year I'll make it down

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Awesome, I called down, the lady I talked to said they are constantly hiring so hopefully within the next year I'll make it down

Good luck. When you get into the process let me know of you have questions. I really like it here so far, and I'd be glad to answer any questions you have.

islandmedic

Forum Probie
So there is a serious possibility I might be moving to South Carolina. The Columbia area to be exact. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the BLS market is like. Coming from Southern California where there is an ambulance company on every corner, i'm sure things are quite different here. I come from a 911 organization now and would prefer to stay that way but I will work just about anywhere.

Are there any 911 providers in the area that have BLS or BLS/ALS units?

Pay?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bump!

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
So there is a serious possibility I might be moving to South Carolina. The Columbia area to be exact. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the BLS market is like. Coming from Southern California where there is an ambulance company on every corner, i'm sure things are quite different here. I come from a 911 organization now and would prefer to stay that way but I will work just about anywhere.

Are there any 911 providers in the area that have BLS or BLS/ALS units?

Pay?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bump!

I know we occasionally run BLS units. The senior EMT will be crew chief on that unit. Normal staffing is B/P. Basics run basic calls. Medics run ALS calls. Pay starts at 36ish, working an every other weekend off shift (averages 42 hours a week.) shoot me a pm if you have any questions. I know we've been hiring a lot lately, but I'm not sure when we will hire again.