South Carolina EMS

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
You live in Charleston right? Can you maybe tell me a bit about the area? Weather, Neighborhoods, Schools, things to do, Nightlife...

I haven't been there since I was a kid, and will be going for spring break

Check out www.carolinanightlife.com

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
When I was looking at SC Counties that run EMS. I found that Charleston, Beaufort, Berekely, Dorchester, Sumter, Lexington, Richland, Union, Pickens, Laurens, Greenville, Spartanburg, Aiken, Anderson, Kershaw, Calhoun, Lee, Oconee, Orangeburg, and others are all third service County run EMS services, it seemed there was more thrid service than EMS/FD.

That being said, is there stability and security at the Counties that run a 3rd service?

I guess anywhere in the US would be hard to survive off of low 40's. My wife works too and would make a bit more than me as a nurse. So with that being said, would you say a combined income of 100-110k in SC is good? or would we just barely be getting by?

Also, off topic, but does anyone know average salary for nursing out there?

From what I saw, stability was an issue - these organizations were very "clicky," and I witnessed a lot of back stabbing. Your partner will smile and joke with you, and then throw you right under the bus the second you're out of earshot. I used to irritate people by asking why they don't say these things to their face?

It's also a true right-to-work state. Here in VA it's also right-to-work, but we have the IAFF, so we do have decent protection through political connections and influence. In SC, you really are on your own. They say jump, you had better ask how high.

As far as pay, IDK about Columbia, but outside of Charleston, everyone pays crap except for Colleton County (combined fire/EMS).

Personally, I wouldn't work long term for a place that starts in the $30's and tops at $60k or less. 28 years to get 50% of less than $60k is not much to retire on.

As far as nursing, in 2007 I recall new RN's getting around $25/hr at MUSC. That hospital also (on the down-low) recruited burned out CCEMS medics for $17.25/hr IIRC, three 12 hour shifts/week. If CCEMS burns you out, perhaps you could go FT at MUSC and drop to per diem at CC. Roper's also a good choice.

Medicnextdoor

Forum Probie
Life is pretty good in Charleston

Down South (actually East but if you look at the state, you'll understand), it's pretty good. they used to have alot of forced overtime but they just hired 16 floaters and force is almost non-existent. In service training is overtime pay, plus holiday pay, 12 and 24 hour shift.

We have all of the toys (12 lead, CPAP, RSI, electric stretchers) and the medics and EMTS you work with are great. We had our annual EMS week picnic at a great place with swimming, horses, great for the family. All the families came out.

MUSC is the trauma center. They have their ER residents riding with us now. Great educational opportunities. We have about 7 other hospitals. they have snacks and cokes for us in our room - something Ive never seen at other places. We get along great and they like us.

FD won't take over because they are all state fire districts and too separate from each other. EMS has been in existance since 1983 (that's what our patch says anyhow) and from what I can see isn't going anywhere.

I've heard from friends of layoffs and stuff. None here. They just hired eight more to fill various slots (a few were from promotions and one went to med school). Most that leave go to the Medical school here. We even have a doctor working here for the holidays (he worked as a Crew Chief).

We had one of our crew get injured around 2 AM and I was impressed that the EMS director and his assistant both came down to the ER to make sure we were ok.

I don't hunt so I can't help you there. I do play golf and there are plenty of places to do that. Our house cost $154K for a 3/2, 2000 square feet. We don't live in Charleston as housing is more expensive but there are towns very close to Charleston where lots of folks live. Lots of bargains there.

Boeing aircraft is building their 787 in a new plant. Three different beaches. We get along with all the fire departments. All do a great job of firest response. Both our medical directors come to every in service. They teach quite a few and are good at it. we have their personal cell phone to call them if we have any questions. Very personable.

I have about 8 years in EMS and don't plan on going anywhere. This place is really perfect in lots of ways. Especially if you want to use your paramedic skills and have the best tools and best crews. The folks that are here are great!

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Down South (actually East but if you look at the state, you'll understand), it's pretty good. they used to have alot of forced overtime but they just hired 16 floaters and force is almost non-existent. In service training is overtime pay, plus holiday pay, 12 and 24 hour shift.

We have all of the toys (12 lead, CPAP, RSI, electric stretchers) and the medics and EMTS you work with are great. We had our annual EMS week picnic at a great place with swimming, horses, great for the family. All the families came out.

MUSC is the trauma center. They have their ER residents riding with us now. Great educational opportunities. We have about 7 other hospitals. they have snacks and cokes for us in our room - something Ive never seen at other places. We get along great and they like us.

FD won't take over because they are all state fire districts and too separate from each other. EMS has been in existance since 1983 (that's what our patch says anyhow) and from what I can see isn't going anywhere.

I've heard from friends of layoffs and stuff. None here. They just hired eight more to fill various slots (a few were from promotions and one went to med school). Most that leave go to the Medical school here. We even have a doctor working here for the holidays (he worked as a Crew Chief).

We had one of our crew get injured around 2 AM and I was impressed that the EMS director and his assistant both came down to the ER to make sure we were ok.

I don't hunt so I can't help you there. I do play golf and there are plenty of places to do that. Our house cost $154K for a 3/2, 2000 square feet. We don't live in Charleston as housing is more expensive but there are towns very close to Charleston where lots of folks live. Lots of bargains there.

Boeing aircraft is building their 787 in a new plant. Three different beaches. We get along with all the fire departments. All do a great job of firest response. Both our medical directors come to every in service. They teach quite a few and are good at it. we have their personal cell phone to call them if we have any questions. Very personable.

I have about 8 years in EMS and don't plan on going anywhere. This place is really perfect in lots of ways. Especially if you want to use your paramedic skills and have the best tools and best crews. The folks that are here are great!

Hope that helps.

Yes, I remember that the in-service was 6 hours a month (Charleston County), given on three seperate days, but there was the threat of forced OT on the one or two days you could go. Then what do you do? Glad to hear they stopped the forced OT problem. That was a major source of burnout. You see, since we were made available the second we arrived at the hospital, we often had to run a call well before finishing our report. Then, you have several unfinished reports to do and it's now 2300 hrs or later. Then get posted at 0200 for an hour or so, and then get screwed for another 12-24 hours after shift. They would call me at home an hour or two after shift and tell me to come back to work, so I got wise and told them that I had a few drinks in me. This wasn't the two 12 hour blocks we were mandated to be available for recall twice monthly for no stipend, mind you. The software was garbage too, and I've used several ePCR systems since then, so I have a decent reference.

Anyway, I had great experiences with North Charleston FD, Charleston City, St. John's, Mt. Pleasant, and especially James Island, Smiley and the gang. I got along with most everyone at CCEMS, as far as I know, except the two Crew Chiefs I worked with, who I thought things were going well with, but I discovered they were throwing me under the bus when I wasn't present.

If it weren't for the lousy reporting software that kept me up late, the holdovers, the two 12 hour mandatory recalls monthly for no additional on-call pay, frequent overnight postings, and if they had a kelly day with their 24/48, it would have been a much better place. The supervisors treated me really well, and we definitely had all the tools to do our jobs well. The pay could have been better, but they pay the best for EMS in SC from what I remember.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok, bumping this for an update. I'm looking into moving to SC (close to wife's parents) and need some help. I'm also looking at Texas, but I'm trying to nail down my options and find a good fit for myself. I'm specifically looking at Richland county, but if there is somewhere better I'd be open to it.

Questions:
1. How is the pay? I'm just looking for a concrete(ish) number.
2.Any management/operations issues (mandatory holdovers or unsupportive management)
3. Protocols look good, but how much leeway for decisions do you have?
4. Double medic or medic/basic?

Also looking at Greenville, Spartanburg, and charleston counties. Are they any better in these categories?

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
your bump

Ok, bumping this for an update. I'm looking into moving to SC (close to wife's parents) and need some help. I'm also looking at Texas, but I'm trying to nail down my options and find a good fit for myself. I'm specifically looking at Richland county, but if there is somewhere better I'd be open to it.

Questions:
1. How is the pay? I'm just looking for a concrete(ish) number.
2.Any management/operations issues (mandatory holdovers or unsupportive management)
3. Protocols look good, but how much leeway for decisions do you have?
4. Double medic or medic/basic?

Also looking at Greenville, Spartanburg, and charleston counties. Are they any better in these categories?

I work for Medshore Ambulance Service been here approximately 3 years. I won't go anywhere else. It is located in the Anderson, SC area. We have 3 divisions, Anderson, Greenville, Columbia. Anderson is the busiest with majority 911 and some IFT. Greenville and Columbia both have mainly IFT. I earn a good salary more than most local EMS. I have good benefiets fixing to be better. I work a 24/72 but we have 12 days/nights, 8 days and part-time. We have IST for recertification 401K too many things to list

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I work for Medshore Ambulance Service been here approximately 3 years. I won't go anywhere else. It is located in the Anderson, SC area. We have 3 divisions, Anderson, Greenville, Columbia. Anderson is the busiest with majority 911 and some IFT. Greenville and Columbia both have mainly IFT. I earn a good salary more than most local EMS. I have good benefiets fixing to be better. I work a 24/72 but we have 12 days/nights, 8 days and part-time. We have IST for recertification 401K too many things to list

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Applied to Richland County today, as it looks like South Carolina may be my wife's best bet for a job. Will be filling a few others out tomorrow for the central SC area. Hopefully something sticks.

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
Applied to Richland County today, as it looks like South Carolina may be my wife's best bet for a job. Will be filling a few others out tomorrow for the central SC area. Hopefully something sticks.

Good luck medshore has a Columbia division too

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief

Let us know how it went

Who else did you apply for?

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Let us know how it went

Who else did you apply for?

So far: Richland, Lexington, and Laurens counties. I'll be adding Sumter, Orangeburg, maybe Aiken, and others if I can find some within a decent driving distance of columbia that are hiring.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
So far: Richland, Lexington, and Laurens counties. I'll be adding Sumter, Orangeburg, maybe Aiken, and others if I can find some within a decent driving distance of columbia that are hiring.

No one has hired yet?

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
No one has hired yet?

Piedmont EMS in Rock Hill pays very well. It would be about an hour drive from Columbia (depending on which side of columbia your on). There are some pro's and con's to working there (as with anywhere) but I have heard this place is generally more political then others. It is a private 9-1-1 service run by the hospital in Rock Hill. It covers all of York County

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
No one has hired yet?

None so far, may just be bad timing.

Piedmont EMS in Rock Hill pays very well. It would be about an hour drive from Columbia (depending on which side of columbia your on). There are some pro's and con's to working there (as with anywhere) but I have heard this place is generally more political then others. It is a private 9-1-1 service run by the hospital in Rock Hill. It covers all of York County

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Apps submitted to Lexington, Richland, Orangeburg, Laurens, and Calhoun counties as of yesterday. I doubt I'll hear for a couple of weeks though.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
My phone has been blowing up today. Orangeburg and Laurens counties both left voicemails while I was busy, and Lexington county has me scheduled for an interview on July 26.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
My phone has been blowing up today. Orangeburg and Laurens counties both left voicemails while I was busy, and Lexington county has me scheduled for an interview on July 26.

Best of luck!