So how old.

kindofafireguy

Forum Crew Member
I'm 23 and my rookie is 35. And I have as much combined EMS/fire experience as a lieutenant at my station.

It happens. I went through rookie school at my department with another 35 year old. (35 is our age cutoff). I think it doesn't really matter much. You have a lot more life experience that you can bring to bear. My rookie can take pretty much anything they throw at him because he's been there, done that, and has the AARP card to prove it (had to work in at least ONE old joke).

I think all that it boils down to is motivation, desire, work ethic, and a lot of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
well where i live in chicago unless your working for the city or the FD your not gonna make much money. I have my CNA cert and my EMT cert and as a CNA im making 20/hour which is more than ANY paramedic let alone EMT i know in the city. Thats the main reason im not working as an EMT currently and just doing the school thing.

trick is get a job working at a department which may involve moving out of the area or even the city if thats what you really want AKA making good money. Every paramedic in the city that i know who isnt working for the FD has 2 jobs some as teachers some working in an ED some doing fire inspection gigs. You dont get into this profession or medical really at all for the money for the time you put in and the stress and what gets dished at you its not worth the money soley.

BUT like most have said you CAN make a living you just have to be flexible and resourceful. /shrug good luck man.

im on the move to australia plan where they pay medics GOOD and they have autonomy. Im currently back and forth with a couple companies out there right now gettting plans straightened out for my eventual move!

Fox800

Forum Captain
I'm 25. Started volunteering as a 911 dispatcher at 18, EMT-B at 19, EMT-I at 20, paramedic at 21. Started working full-time at age 21 and have been ever since.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
This thread comes up all the time.

I am so old my social security number is 3 digits.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I chose EMS during a period of uneployment (1975, age 22, married) and it morphed into nursing (1983/85). In the meantime I was in the USAF (fire dept), worked civilian ambulance ever other day (USAF was every other 24 hrs with a Kelly Day every other week), left active duty and lived upon Nat Guard weekender pay plus 32 hrs/week civilian ambulance and student loans plus wife's pay (when she wasn't having our first kid). She is still working in IT by the way.

ANYWAY, prehospital EMS OVERALL is not the best-paying, it favors young fit idealistic single people. One or two back injuries and you can be out, period, goodbye, no gold watch. And teaching... it is not easy to find enough paying gigs unless you are hired by some school, and then make sure you are in for full time with benefits. Some people work in other countries which has its own benefits and drawbacks.

Follow your bliss as my daughter says, but as you do, make as many contacts and develop as many relationships as you can to increase your hire-ability and learn of interesting assignments.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'll be 42 this summer. I've been in EMS in one form or another since 1989, but Ive only been a medic for 2 years, after a mid life career change from Avery successful career in the media. I'll be honest, I've never been happier. I make a decent living and work for a great service.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Woah. I was born in 89. :p

Anjel

Forum Angel

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I got my basic at 35 and I'm 37 now. It gets annoying on scene or at hospital when people default to me as person in charge and all I can do is give them a blank stare and point at the 22 year old that actually knows what the hell is going on.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
My dad's been in EMS since 1989 as well. His first payday was my birthweek.

I've been in it for five years now.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Woah. I was born in 89. :p

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Basic at 18, Intermediate at 20, set to graduate medic school and slide to a FT spot at 22.

One of our newest medics where I work as an Intermediate is much older, in his 50s, his nickname is Papa haha.

Age is a number. A 40 year old can be just as unprofessional as an 18 year old and an 18 year old can be just as professional as a 40 year old, it all depends on the person.

I try not to be cocky and don't think I am particularly am but that's my perspective.

MunchkinMedic

Forum Crew Member
I took the EMT class at 18, started working on an IFT ambulance at 19, changed to 911 at 24 & am just now starting medic school at 25

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I am 28 and about to start EMT school

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
im 20 almost 21, started in ems shortly after turning 19. and will be a paramedic shortly after turning 21

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
Threads like this always cause me to chuckle.

I am 55 years old and have worked as an EMT and paramedic since 1978 after getting out of the military. I own my own home and it is payed off. My youngest just graduated from under grad last year and has no student loans. My son just finished his masters and has never had any student loans.

This can be accomplished on a medics alary.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Threads like this always cause me to chuckle.

I am 55 years old and have worked as an EMT and paramedic since 1978 after getting out of the military. I own my own home and it is payed off. My youngest just graduated from under grad last year and has no student loans. My son just finished his masters and has never had any student loans.

This can be accomplished on a medics alary.

Only if you live on less than you make.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
I just turned 21 on the 18th of April and I got my EMT at 20. I just now got my first job as a EMT this week so I plan on having resumes like some of you guys one day but Im fine with what Im going to be making. Its either sit at a computer screen making $11/hr selling BS or make $10/hr driving around making peoples bad days better.