SNF Emergencies: Getting my experience in.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
So I got EMT certified last month. I work at a Skilled Nursing Facility. Been doing so for the last 3 years as CNA for the Rehab Dept. My job is mainly ambulation of pts and I've done some PRN work as regular CNA as well.

I've gotten shoulder surgery a few months ago and still cannot lift heavy yet, and can't work on an ambulance.

What I did not expect is that I'm getting some emergency experience at the SNF that I work. When I hear about an emergency over the PA, I rush there no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I flip my CNA badge to my EMT badge, and I assist in any way I can.

I've gotten to do vitals (both auto and manual BPs) listen to lung sounds, cardiac arrest (got to do CPR ventilate w/ BVM) bleeding control from a fall, and the others were mostly difficulty breathing/SOB pts.

I'm learning that FFs arrive at not only cardiac arrests, but also chest pains, SOBs, unconscious, etc. I've seen them be helpful (especially at a cardiac arrest) and other times, especially for one medical call, not of much help. At another medical call, I could tell one or more of them were EMTs because they actually got a BP, listened to lung sounds, etc.

I've also seen basic emergency mistakes by staff members: trying to put a nasal cannula when I'm trying to bag a pt. Or the RT doing continuous ventilations during CPR instead of the 30:2. Oh and the RT didn't know what an OPA was (WTF!?) And even my mistake of not hooking up the AED as fast as I should have. It wasn't until FF arrived that they handled the AED.

Oftentimes the nurses will leave once FD/EMS gets there and I'm often left with them asking me questions. I only regret I could not answer all of them. I'll be getting more info about pt history when the next emergency happens. Also, when FD/EMS get there I observe what they do and try to learn as best I can.

None of the staff, nurses, RTs, or management had a problem with my presence, appreciated the help, and commended me for my work.

Not trying to toot my own horn but if you work at a SNF and are an EMT definitely attend emergencies if you are available and management/staff doesn't mind.

These emergencies are the #1 thing I look forward to every day. I also carry on me some basic supplies in a waist pack: scope, BP cuff, shears, dressings, saline flushes, alcohol prep pads, etc.

Rin

Forum Captain
You need to be careful that you don't exceed your scope as a CNA or do anything beyond basic first aid. You cannot work as an EMT without a medical director.

That being said, with the **** show I've seen go on in SNF's when it comes to emergencies, it's good that there's someone around who's actually willing to help.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with the flushes?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I've also seen basic emergency mistakes by staff members: trying to put a nasal cannula when I'm trying to bag a pt.

There are studies that suggest that apneic diffusion oxygenation is highly effective in maintaining blood oxygen levels in the apnic patient :)

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
I've seen a ER nurse just squirt it on a bleeding wound before just to clear it up then apply a dressing. Ive encountered bleeding from a fall so far and yesterday they needed saline and dressings but wasn't any nearby. That's when I started to carry them just in case. But I wouldn't use them with any IVs or anything if that's what your wondering lol

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
"There are studies that suggest that apneic diffusion oxygenation is highly effective in maintaining blood oxygen levels in the apnic patient :)"

Picture this. I've ventilating via BVM. I yell "Need an O2 tank!" Nurse walks in with O2 tank and NC and puts it on Pt. My only O2 source I'm definitely not wasting it in NC when I can use it w/ the BVM :)

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
"There are studies that suggest that apneic diffusion oxygenation is highly effective in maintaining blood oxygen levels in the apnic patient :)"

Picture this. I've ventilating via BVM. I yell "Need an O2 tank!" Nurse walks in with O2 tank and NC and puts it on Pt. My only O2 source I'm definitely not wasting it in NC when I can use it w/ the BVM :)
Clearly you didn't look up apnic diffusion oxygenation.

You sound like a liability to your facility.

I've seen a ER nurse just squirt it on a bleeding wound before just to clear it up then apply a dressing. Ive encountered bleeding from a fall so far and yesterday they needed saline and dressings but wasn't any nearby. That's when I started to carry them just in case. But I wouldn't use them with any IVs or anything if that's what your wondering lol
If your mentality is of the "just in case" type, might I suggest you carrying an ambulance in your back pocket, just in case...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Clearly you didn't look up apnic diffusion oxygenation.

You sound like a liability to your facility.
Man, shots fired.

Lol. Ricky Rescue's just trying to get his feet wet.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
So I got EMT certified ...When I hear about an emergency over the PA, I rush there no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I flip my CNA badge to my EMT badge...

Man, now that's dramatic... You would be great in that show... What's it called?... Nightwatch!

Care to help me make a sizzle reel?

Rin

Forum Captain
@CodeBru1984 Lol you're just playing every side of the fence on this one :D

If your mentality is of the "just in case" type, might I suggest you carrying an ambulance in your back pocket, just in case...

Hehe I go through phases like that and then I come to my senses before my pockets start looking ridiculous

@CodeBru1984 Lol you're just playing every side of the fence on this one :D

Hehe I go through phases like that and then I come to my senses before my pockets start looking ridiculous
Heh... How so? And... I must admit that my right side cargo pocket looks ridiculous as I carry my wallet, pocket drug guide, personal Epi-Pen, and a small flashlight in it.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry Im fresh out of class, but we were taught BVM + O2 on 15 liters not BVM + NC together or whatever your suggesting.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry Im fresh out of class, but we were taught BVM + O2 on 15 liters not BVM + NC together or whatever your suggesting.
I was being sarcastic. I wouldn't expect an EMT fresh out of school to understand new, advanced techniques.

Point is, everything is not what it seems, and you can probably stop running around the nursing home.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
We know man, we are just razzing you a little. Just remember to use common sense and don't bite off more than you can chew. And don't be that guy who people call Ricky Rescue.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
"stop running around the nursing home."

"Its a retirement community!" - Tony Soprano

You liked the original post about apneic diffusion oxygenation, then the post that called it utterly incorrect, and then the shots fired post lmao you warmonger
You must forgive me... It's been a long day! :(

Reactions: Rin

Rin

Forum Captain
And... I must admit that my right side cargo pocket looks ridiculous as I carry my wallet, pocket drug guide, personal Epi-Pen, and a small flashlight in it.

I understand it has sentimental value to you, the last thing your friend gave you before he died...

I understand it has sentimental value to you, the last thing your friend gave you before he died...
Where have I heard that reference before, and it's literally saved my a$$ before!