Smoking

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I would appreciate having a discussion with anyone who used to smoke and successfully quit. How did you do it? Any and all advice...please send it my way.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I quit when I started working around pure Hydrogen in the military. Something about the possiblity of going BOOM while smoking made me rethink my habits.

Sorry I can't be of much help to you.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I know people that have used the patch and gum to help them quit. What I really think it came down to, every time, is the person's determination to quit.

Hopefully some others can help you out with some actual advice. Good luck!

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
It's definitely the person's determination. If you want to quit, then just get the patch/gum and you can quit. I'm not trying to make it sound easy but it's true.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I quit cold turkey after being sick for a week and coughing up little chunks of lung like tissue that was blacker than coal fresh from the mine. I decided that I might need my lungs when I got older, and I haven't touched a smoke since, and that was 5 years ago. I was right too, I sure do need these lungs now! Don't know if this will help you but its certainly food for thought.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I wish I could help ya hon, I've quit about 10 times in the last 5 years and always go back to it.

GaEMT

Forum Crew Member
One word: Welbutrin I went from 2 packs a day to 2-3 smokes a day in less than 6 weeks Great drug!

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I have a plan that's guaranteed to work. You pay me $5,000. Then whenever you're caught smoking, ninjas drop from the ceiling and clobber you to a pulp.

Betcha you'd quit smoking real quick! :p

If not, it's great exercise for the ninjas.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant (not preggo now! :) ). I really don't suggest this way of doing it though.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Wellbutrin is great for some people, but my brother and I both tried it and all it did was make us tired. The problem with me is although I want to quit smoking, I still enjoy it. :sad:

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
I quit cold turkey.... was taking the CPR Instructor class, and the IT, who is someone that I admire and respect greatly, reminded me how bad it was for me... about 2 weeks later I did a PFT, and was living with the total lung capacity of one lung (I also have asthma)... the choice was pretty clear at that point.. and because I didn't want to be a slave to anything else.... I just went cold turkey.. yeah I was a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: for a couple of weeks... (worse than normal)... but in the end it was the only way to go for me.