• No

Votes: 104 78.2%
  • other

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VentMedic

Forum Chief
And yes we do discriminate again people who are overweight when they can not perform their duties. 200 or 220 is the max for HEMS or flight medics. Someone who weighs in at 400 pounds probably won't make it in the Fire or Police academy. I'm sure there are many other jobs where size matters and an obese person can not apply. Even some helicopters can not transport an obese patient. Discrimination or safety?

Let me elaborate a little more about the weight issue. It is not just for "Flight teams" but it affects any specialty team (neo, pedi, cardiac, ob) that requires the use of a helicopter as one of their transportation methods. We have had some very good Neo RNs or RRTs who would be excellent on a team but can not be full members since they can not take call if a transport requires a helicopter. They might be able to do routine ground transports if previously scheduled.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I don't smoke, never have, but if someone I work with wants to light up in my proximity I'm OK with it as long as they're downwind. My service recently instituted a $25 per pay period (26 PP per year) surcharge on smokers, due to their increased incidence of health issues. They also offered cessation classes to those who were interested. Their justification was that if you were going to be on their insurance, they had a right to recoup costs.

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
Sadly, i do smoke. But, on Xmas, I'm taking my money and buying niccotine Gum, and quitting! 8D

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Sadly, i do smoke. But, on Xmas, I'm taking my money and buying niccotine Gum, and quitting! 8D

You are 15 years old. How long have you been smoking?

There is a very good chance you do not need nicotine gum but rather some will power and maybe some new friends to hang out with for awhile who are supportive of your decision to quit. Since you are under the age of 18 it would also be advisable for you to consult with your family physician when using the nicotine gum.

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
Im a social smoker i only and rarely will smoke when im at the bar or just drinking. But starting May 10 of 2010, Michigan will be smoke free in all buildings (restaurants,bars etc) so i might just have to go buy a electronic cigarette and just smoke water vapor lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
You are 15 years old. How long have you been smoking?

There is a very good chance you do not need nicotine gum but rather some will power and maybe some new friends to hang out with for awhile who are supportive of your decision to quit. Since you are under the age of 18 it would also be advisable for you to consult with your family physician when using the nicotine gum.

Yeah, no need to do that now. I quit. It was my newyear's resolution. I haven't smoked for 18 days; which it was amazingly easy, if you asked me.