• No

Votes: 104 78.2%
  • other

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I am VERY proud to say that Sunday will be 16 weeks smoke free for me.. after 15+ years as a smoker. It seems like 99% of the people I've worked with are smokers. Its been a challenge but I REFUSE to start back.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Congratulations.
I quit 12 years ago and still have dreams where I'm smoking.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Congrats to you! I have seen how hard it is to quit. My husband has tried more times than I can count. One of the most recent attempts, he went for 10-12 weeks without smoking, and then one evening decided to have "just one" and is now back to about a pack a day. I would love to see him finally kick the habit, but know that he won't even try again until he is ready to do it. Something that I don't see happening any time soon.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats, Erin!

Personally, I've never been a smoker...neither has my husband. Thankfully I've never been addicted to anything in my life...(except I think I might be starting to get addicted to taekwondo!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats Erin. I am always amazed, given the stuff we see in hospitals and SNF, at the number of people in this profession that choose to smoke. We have a unique perspective in respect to the devastation that smoking can cause cadiovascularly and respiratorarly.

Our company and all of the hospitals in the area have undergone a mandatory no smoking policy, yet many people still brave the cold temperatures and long walks to go 'off-campus' to adjust their nicotine levels. I just don't understand what compels them. I have never tried smoking, nor have I ever been curious.

At any rate, congrats to all of you who have made the choice to abandon it.

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats. The fire department for the town where I grew up requires all new members to sign a form vowing that they won't smoke while employed by the fire department... on or off duty. Does anyone else's department do this?

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Congratulation! Beginning of December it will be 9 months for my dad...It's been very hard for him so I know what its like...Good luck

And good luck to all those working on quiting!

indygirl14

Forum Crew Member
Congrats. The fire department for the town where I grew up requires all new members to sign a form vowing that they won't smoke while employed by the fire department... on or off duty. Does anyone else's department do this?

I wish more fire departments would do that...I think it sets a horrible example to drive past a FD and you see all of the guys (and girls) standing outside, lighting up...

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I can count on one hand the number of cigarettes I've had. And each time, my partner found out, and smacked the back of my head. Considering we both have asthma, I think he had good reason!

-Kat

reaper

Working Bum
Still do, enjoy it and ain't gonna quit! (just Yet)

Only vice I have. Don't drink, no Drugs, and don't gamble. I can allow myself the pleasure, It's my right.

Now, I know and agree that it is bad for you and I discourage anyone from starting. But, for me It is still enjoyable. The day it is not, I will quit. I did quit for 2 years once before, but started back up again.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant

There is a 1 department in coastal Virginia that requires this...(my sis is a FF/Paramedic in this department). I think there are others around here, but I am not sure how many.

I agree about people driving by the station & seeing people standing outside the bays smoking...unfortunately, at our rescue squad, that happens.

The hospital (& health system as a whole) where I work is going "tobacco-free" on July 4th of 2008. Believe it or not, they are saying that smoking in one's car out in the parking lots will even be prohibited (if the car is parked on hospital property). I have no idea how they will enforce this. There are mixed feelings about this, of course. They are starting to advertise smoking cessation programs/resources for the employees, but it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

ps Virginia is "big" tobacco country - & the home of Philip Morris!

kashton

Forum Probie
Yep, it's strange that about %50 of the people I have worked with during my EMT Basic and Paramedic clinical times have been smoking. I don't smoke as I find it smells/tastes awful and makes my throat and lungs hurt, not to mention the physically harmful aspects of it.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I quit once for 7 years... 7 years without a puff, then had a puff - within a couple of months I was back to a pack a day. I smoked for 10 years and finally quit again 2 years, 3 months, 28 days, 12 hours and 4 minutes ago... don't miss it a bit :p

Not true - I miss it every day. I would smoke again in a heartbeat if I didn't know that it will kill me - slowly, painfully and before my time - after slowly sucking the joy out of my life first. I tell the junkie that lives in my head that when we turn 80, we will start smoking again. That seems to placate her.
I wasn't "ready" to quit. I'm still not "ready"- but its just something that had to be done.

Good luck to all you who have quit.. and those of you who do it because you enjoy it so much - it's not worth it.

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I quit once for 7 years... 7 years without a puff, then had a puff - within a couple of months I was back to a pack a day. I smoked for 10 years and finally quit again 2 years, 3 months, 28 days, 12 hours and 4 minutes ago... don't miss it a bit :p

Not true - I miss it every day. I would smoke again in a heartbeat if I didn't know that it will kill me - slowly, painfully and before my time - after slowly sucking the joy out of my life first. I tell the junkie that lives in my head that when we turn 80, we will start smoking again. That seems to placate her.
I wasn't "ready" to quit. I'm still not "ready"- but its just something that had to be done.

Good luck to all you who have quit.. and those of you who do it because you enjoy it so much - it's not worth it.

GIRLLLLLL, I hear ya. I would totally smoke a cigarette the size of a coke bottle right about now. GAH, I miss it sooo much. I stopped for my kids mainly. One day, a week or 2 into being smoke free, my 4 year old said "Momma, you smell so good. You smell like peaches" (it was the first time he had actually smelled my shampoo since he was 15 months old and I started back after giving birth to his sister) That alone has been enough to keep me from smoking... that and we are about to have a vasectomy reversal and hopefully will get pregnant soon!!

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
I'm lucky, I never started smoking. Most of my school friends did though.
The EMT-I's I crew with both smoke.
In fact, after a rather long unsuccessful cardiac arrest call out,we went back to the station and both the EMT-I's and EMT-P that attended it, lite up straight away. I looked at them all and said prehaps I should start, Joke.:huh::excl: I made the coffee's instead!
I've had lots of friend's go cold turkey to stop, but if they are out socially and others are smoking, they can't help themselves, but have one!

Cheers Enjoynz

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
The hospital (& health system as a whole) where I work is going "tobacco-free" on July 4th of 2008. Believe it or not, they are saying that smoking in one's car out in the parking lots will even be prohibited (if the car is parked on hospital property). I have no idea how they will enforce this. There are mixed feelings about this, of course. They are starting to advertise smoking cessation programs/resources for the employees, but it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

It is actually pretty easy, if you smoke, you get cited. Almost all hospitals in my area are completely tobacco free. PTs., family, and staff. If a staff member is busted using tobacco on campus, they are terminated, no questions asked. Family and pts. are warned, then cited by security and or local PD. It has worked well for several years now, and it is nice not having to walk through a smoke cloud to enter the ER!

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
hmmm....I wonder what the 'other' is supposed to imply in the poll...:eek:

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Congratulations!
I'm about a pack-a-year smoker, and only because Djarum Blacks are so tasty.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
hmmm....I wonder what the 'other' is supposed to imply in the poll...:eek:

Some of my patients who are self stated "non-smokers" make the claim that pipes, cigars and of course not inhaling are not considered smoking. That is how they explain it to the Respiratory Therapist who is at their bedside for some reason.

Originally Posted by Alexakat

I posted a thread earlier this year about a hospital in Florida that will not hire smokers. That program has worked very well and is now expanding to other hospitals. Of course, this is nothing new for other industries which already have had these policies in place for a while.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=4953&highlight=smoking+hospital

Congratulations to all of you who have quit!

yay4stress

Forum Crew Member
The big university hospital chain around here is all smoke free; staff, visitor and pt. The hospital where I work is smoke free on campus, and will soon (1/1/08) be smoke free period for staff. They'll even be serving random urine(?) tests and if nicotine shows up you get fired.

I started smoking at age 14, and quit one year later, although my parents may have had something to do with that :D

I still don't smoke though, all these years later, nor do I intend to start. I dislike far too much the elements of hypocrisy involved in any health care professional who smokes, and since I want to go to med school...

Congrats to all who have quit!