Ski Patrol

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That would be sucky drive from Reno if you're going alone that's for sure. You could swing through southern CO though and hit the places that are getting hammered this year, which does not include Summit County. If you haven't been to Silverton, I would highly consider going, this year is going to be epic.

It's me and at least 1 if not 2 friends. I really don't mind driving by myself though. Did it from Reno to Denver once, only stopped to get gas, get food and hit the head. I just put on my music and go.

I really want to ride Silverton, I'd prefer to hit it later though once they have some solid snow. Right now Park City, Jackson, Summit County and Big Sky have been presented as options. Crested Butte wouldn't be out of the question though, especially if I came through Denver, a couple friends there have been talking about it for a while. Another thought I had that's kinda off the wall was Talus in New Mexico.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's me and at least 1 if not 2 friends. I really don't mind driving by myself though. Did it from Reno to Denver once, only stopped to get gas, get food and hit the head. I just put on my music and go.

I really want to ride Silverton, I'd prefer to hit it later though once they have some solid snow. Right now Park City, Jackson, Summit County and Big Sky have been presented as options. Crested Butte wouldn't be out of the question though, especially if I came through Denver, a couple friends there have been talking about it for a while. Another thought I had that's kinda off the wall was Talus in New Mexico.

You will not have to worry about solid snow in Silverton, pretty much ever and especially not over winter break. The southern CO mountains are not really that much farther than Summit County if you take I70 to around Moab and then head southwest. It's a southern colorado year right now, that's for sure.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
i am in the planning stage of my trips. beavercreak/vail is at the top of my list followed be telluride. aspen/snowmas is a maby...

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Patrolling

My patrol season begins tomorrow... Just sayin... ;)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
i am in the planning stage of my trips. beavercreak/vail is at the top of my list followed be telluride. aspen/snowmas is a maby...

If you can, try and get out there during an off peak week, it's so much better to be able to ski onto the lift and not deal with 4012934809234 falling all over each other over President's Day weekend.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
OP
OP
EMT11KDL

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Luno

OG
Premium Member
go kick rocks!!!! mine hasnt started yet :(

Serious? Well, it wasn't that impressive, Saturday was ok after it cleared up, Sunday sucked, spent all day wrenching on snowmobile... In the office all this week getting ready for Dec Drill, but back in the snow this weekend :D

savelives

Forum Probie
So far this thread has been a huge help to me but still got a few q's for you guys:

The situation:

I'm emt-b certified and currently running with an ambulance service @ my university. There's a "resort" (its small only about 15 runs) about 10 minutes off campus by car, and I'm considering trying to get a patrol position up there. I've been skiing for about 13 years (since i was 6) and can ski most blacks under control and paralleling most of the way.

Q's:

1) should I bother getting the OEC cert?/do I need one?
2) where can I find information on taking an OEC class in my area? Allegheny county or Centre County.

Any additional advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No worries.

Google OEC class + your area. For pro patrol many resorts don't require OEC but it does happen from time to time. Your more than likely too late to start this season, most positions are hired for and filled in late summer-fall.

As for the skiing, you need to be comfortable on all the terrain at your mountain. Also you need to be able to be comfortable while driving a toboggan with a patient in it. Comfortable doesn't mean fast. Although if you are side-sliding an entire hill just to gain access to a patient things might change.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Most of the patrol pages say you first have to pass a "ski test". What exactly should I expect?

I skied for half a day with the patrol director. Just a normal day of skiing, we skied all over the mountain.

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
So far this thread has been a huge help to me but still got a few q's for you guys:

The situation:

I'm emt-b certified and currently running with an ambulance service @ my university. There's a "resort" (its small only about 15 runs) about 10 minutes off campus by car, and I'm considering trying to get a patrol position up there. I've been skiing for about 13 years (since i was 6) and can ski most blacks under control and paralleling most of the way.

Q's:

1) should I bother getting the OEC cert?/do I need one?
2) where can I find information on taking an OEC class in my area? Allegheny county or Centre County.

Any additional advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys

Allegheny or Centre County?.... Small ski area 10 minutes from campus? I'm guessing you're either in Pittsburgh area and referring to Boyce Park, or, more likely, you're at Penn State and referring to Tussey Mountain. Both are within the Western Appalachian Region of the National Ski Patrol, more info here: http://www.patrol.org/war/index.htm

I don't know specifically much about either patrol but do have a general idea of how ski patrols are run throughout the region. OEC is fairly similar to EMT-B, and in fact, you can challenge the exam having EMT or WFR certification, more info about that is available direct from NSP. Some patrols may accept an in-state EMT-B as valid medical credentials, others may require you to get OEC (either by the actual class, or challenge). This varies from patrol to patrol. If you need OEC though, the vast majority of patrols will help you get it, think of it as very similar to a volunteer EMS/rescue squad, you can't recruit/retain members if you don't offer (or help to obtain) the required training.

Your ski test will either be done in a group or individually with the patrol director or another senior member. Like Rob said, it will likely be fairly laid back and most likely a day or less of skiing on the hill to observe that you can maintain control on a variety of terrain.

Professional OR volunteer, it's likely too late to get involved even before the first snowflakes of the season. Typically, the way the recruiting cycle works for many volunteer patrols is that you would do your ski test at the end of one season, spend the following summer or fall doing your OEC, and then spend the vast majority of the following ski season as a "candidate" undergoing on-the-hill training to gain the status of full patroller. It's pretty time consuming at the front end of things to get involved with ski patrol, and personally, it's why I haven't, even though I'm an avid skier. Maybe once I'm settled down in an area with a resort nearby I'll join a patrol, but I just don't have time now.

I would talk directly to the Patrol Director at the resort you're looking at though. Especially if it's that close to a college campus, they may rely on student volunteers, and may have adjusted the way they operate to accomodate those students, but you'll never know if you don't ask them.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I volunteered in Douglas County, Nebraska...

Foxfire, quit laughing!).

Topo map of Douglas County:

savelives

Forum Probie
I emailed the patrol directors for hidden valley, seven springs, and tussey mountain. No replies yet and I'm a little confused as to why. Talked to a few SP guys out at 7S last night and they said they're desperate for patrollers but hm...any insight? Busy cuz its the 31/1st?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I emailed the patrol directors for hidden valley, seven springs, and tussey mountain. No replies yet and I'm a little confused as to why. Talked to a few SP guys out at 7S last night and they said they're desperate for patrollers but hm...any insight? Busy cuz its the 31/1st?

It's a holiday weekend, its busy and they more than likely don't want to deal with it right at the moment, no offense.

If you spend much time around patrollers you will realize that they are on mountain time 24/7.

OP
OP
EMT11KDL

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Does it seem to anyone else there has been an increase of drunk skiers and snowboarders this season?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Does it seem to anyone else there has been an increase of drunk skiers and snowboarders this season?

I've only been up once but with the way the snow is I wouldn't doubt it. How's patrol treating you?

I'm guilty of putting a few back skiing sometimes, never to the point of being hammed though.