Silly things your instructor said

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
My Intermediate instructor is rather funny and has some really silly but useful sayings. A few are:

Before we give them the sweet, healing hands of love, you have to put on your gloves.

Normal Saline= Norma Sal In

Ways of saying using the AED: Ride the lighting.

What are some things your instructors have said that were funny but helpful in one way or another?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Ok, I'll be the spoil sport. How are any of those helpful?

Achilles

Forum Moron
My instructor may have said some dumb things but I didn't really care as he was a great teacher and I passed. I think the only time he said something dumb was when someone asked a stupid question and I can only remember one student arguing with him about using a tampon to stop a nose bleed. But it was funny still.

airborne2chairborne

Forum Crew Member
When I was working civilian EMS we had someone who applied at the company who mentioned his instructor said that starting pay was $16 an hour for all companies in the area... might not be the same type of funny but still hilarious.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Stupid instructor tricks:

"Treat the patient not the monitor"

"A radial pulse means a pressure of at least 80"

"Always have a line before NTG"

This is all stuff I've heard from instructors in the last year.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Stupid instructor tricks:

"Treat the patient not the monitor"

"A radial pulse means a pressure of at least 80"

"Always have a line before NTG"

This is all stuff I've heard from instructors in the last year.

Here's the problem. All three are dumb and incorrect, but at least the last two are supported by current edition textbooks.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, I'll be the spoil sport. How are any of those helpful?

I admit, the only one that is useful is the Norma Sal In. Saying it that way makes patients think its something special...thereby calming them etc. They are all useful as they make me laugh, and laughing is healthy.

Aidey

Lying to your patients is almost never a good idea.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Lying to your patients is almost never a good idea.

I never said I was going to do that. And he never says its something its not. He says "I am gonna give you some Norma Sal In. Let me know how you feel in a few minutes." :)

IMPORTANT: I agree with your idea. It is against my duty to help others to try to trick them with how I pronounce something. I am not gonna do that in any situation, as it is wrong. It is still funny how he says it in class though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Deliberately misleading your patients is lying. It is an attempt to play off of the placebo effect by making the patient think they are getting a medication.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Deliberately misleading your patients is lying. It is an attempt to play off of the placebo effect by making the patient think they are getting a medication.

As I mentioned, when I thought about it, you are right. I apologize if I offended. I would not /will not do that :). Besides, the only "pain" med I can give as an I85 is ASA, for chest pain.

JPINFV

Gadfly
...except ASA is given to patients with chest pain because of its antiplatlet properties, not it's pain management properties.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
...except ASA is given to patients with chest pain because of its antiplatlet properties, not it's pain management properties.

Technicality. ;)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I teach a silly thing and I tell them it's a silly thing and why I'm doing it.

1. The Sheriff's Academy teaches "Take Five to Stay Alive" (make a good approach and on scene safety survey). Every time I say it I raise one hand and waggle the fingers. I do this at least three times during the lesson.

2. I tell them, "This is silly, so it will stick in your head". Then at least once during the rest of the class I will ask "And before you render care, you ..." and waggle my fingers and look expectantly at them. Often I get a verbal response. Always, I see eyes go "Huh? Hahaha" but it is learning taking place.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant

I know :p. But its mechanism helps to relieve pain.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Can you explain that mechanism? :)

Well it helps to relieve or reduce inflamattion thereby allowing more blood and o2 to the heart. Its anticoagulant properties help thin the blood making it easier to get through those swollen vessels or damaged vessels. It has to do with thromboxane I think. It also sticks to another chemical and makes it not send pain signals if I recall.

airborne2chairborne

Forum Crew Member
The placebo effect can be a powerful thing, I told a new guy at my unit a couple years ago we spiked his coffee with ipicac syrup, he ended up puking for an hour. Funny part is there was no ipicac syrup in it, he just psyched himself into it. I think this is kind of the same thing as telling a patient "Relax, you'll be ok." instead of saying "hey you're :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed pal."

I don't see anything wrong with pronouncing something differently if there is a serious reason to believe it will improve patient care. Saying you'll give a med and then not giving it is one thing, but if you have someone who has mild dehydration and saline is all it really calls for and he's asking for something he doesnt need, then norma sal in would be fitting. It's like when you get a patient who's racist or sexist, I've gotten the "I don't want anything from that guy, I want that white man's medicine!" line before when we were trying to give a patient glucose and I was working with a partner who was african american... we ended up calling it "white glucose" and the patient accepted it. did he get the treatment he needed? yup. is it really called "white glucose?" nope. but who cares? the only 3 options were leave him with a dangerously low blood sugar level, argue with him how its the same med until his conditioned worsened and he became altered so we could restrain him, or give a little white lie (no pun intended) so he can recieve treatment. sometimes you cant go by the textbook answer of "be direct and honest."

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The placebo effect can be a powerful thing, I told a new guy at my unit a couple years ago we spiked his coffee with ipicac syrup, he ended up puking for an hour. Funny part is there was no ipicac syrup in it, he just psyched himself into it. I think this is kind of the same thing as telling a patient "Relax, you'll be ok." instead of saying "hey you're :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed pal."

I don't see anything wrong with pronouncing something differently if there is a serious reason to believe it will improve patient care. Saying you'll give a med and then not giving it is one thing, but if you have someone who has mild dehydration and saline is all it really calls for and he's asking for something he doesnt need, then norma sal in would be fitting."

Misrepresenting what you are giving your pt is unprofessional, unethical, and if caught could mean you lose your license. You are doing your pt no favours by being dishonest with them. It blows my mind how little integrity some EMTs and Medics have.