Silicone or titanium wrist alerts

ccglobetrotter

Forum Ride Along
Hi. I am not an EMT but need advice about getting a medical alert bracelet. I am on lifelong blood thinners and want to get an alert bracelet. I have thought about a silicone one since I have allergies to metals. (I could also get a titanium one, but they're much more expensive.)

I wonder though whether emergency personnel are just as quick to recognise the silicone/plastic bracelets as metal ones. I wouldn't want a non-metal one to be presumed to be one of those "cause" bracelets like poverty or cancer awareness bracelets that were very popular years ago. Are the silicone ones commonly used and recognised? Any thoughts?

Many thanks. -CeCe

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Personally, I am more inclined to look twice at a metal bracelet in case it is a medic alert tag than I am at the non-metal ones.

Like you said, a lot of things use the silicone ones so it could easily be mistaken for one of those.

Also, the silicone ones will have to be replaced periodically wheras the metal one won't.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hi. I am not an EMT but need advice about getting a medical alert bracelet. I am on lifelong blood thinners and want to get an alert bracelet. I have thought about a silicone one since I have allergies to metals. (I could also get a titanium one, but they're much more expensive.)

I wonder though whether emergency personnel are just as quick to recognise the silicone/plastic bracelets as metal ones. I wouldn't want a non-metal one to be presumed to be one of those "cause" bracelets like poverty or cancer awareness bracelets that were very popular years ago. Are the silicone ones commonly used and recognised? Any thoughts?

Many thanks. -CeCe

Why not try something like this:
http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If things go all to Hades, the metal one will show on xray and the silicone won't.
:ph34r:

I wear actual dog tags made by a civilian, cheap and easily replaced/updated. And my cat loves to play with them.

phideux

Forum Captain
Had a girl with a silicone one for her Port-a-cath the other day. Everyone that can't be communicated with will have their necks a wrists checked for alerts. If I see silicone bracelets, I check them.

OP
OP
C

ccglobetrotter

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the replies

I appreciate all your responses. I am not so concerned about having to replace the silicone ones as I am about getting contact dermatitis (from metal). I'm very prone to that.

Thanks for the link, medicdan. I had never seen those before and will check them out.