Should there be an independent investigation?

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Ok this is simple,

Should there be an investigation into the Gov'ts response to Hurricane Katrina?

Do you think this couldve been disaster avoided had there been more done before the storm hit?

Also what questions should be asked in regards to the FEMA/ Govt response??

-Captain Panic

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
people were told to leave before the strom came.. not much else you can do there

people stuck in the domes.. conv. center ect.. should have had food drop.. we dropped it faster in 3rd world country's

gov. screwed up BIG TIME.....

everything arrived the day GW showed up.. hmmmmmm

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by GVRS672@Sep 7 2005, 02:51 PM
everything arrived the day GW showed up.. hmmmmmm
Where were the rations and the resources the states had?

I am tired of all the blame being placed upon the Feds...it takes TIME for that beaurocracy to move along. The State and local authorities must have resources ready and available for times like these.

It is also not the fault of the federal government that some rocket scientists parked a MAJOR US city between the Gulf of Mexico, Lake Ponchatrain and the Mississippi river...in fact New Oleans is 8 feet below Sea Level and the only other place in the Continental US that is lower is Death Valley @ 282 feet below sea level...the only other difference is that Death Valley is LAND LOCKED!

Let us not forget about those levees either! Apparantly they have been in disrepair for some time according to the Army Corps of Engineers.

Take a look at this article!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
The federal government cannot move into a state until requested to do so by the state. La did not ask for federal assistance until 2 days after the storm.

Before the storm, CNN reported the Pres had to ask the Governor of LA to declare a disaster area BEFORE the storm hit so that way he could start things in the works. That is something she should have known she could do.

They state of Lousiana practiced this very scenerio barely 18 months ago....the plan they had failed then. They knew it would fail. They failed their people. They mayor should have had the busses go into those neighborhoods where people were to poor to get themselves out and TRY to take them to a shelter.

People chose to stay. They KNEW a CAT 5 (at the time) Hurricane was headed straight for them. They made the decision not to leave.

And lets look at another angle...NOLA was not destroyed by the actual Hurricane. It was destroyed by the flooding and the CITIZENS actions after the storm. YEP, I said it...the citizens of NOLA that stayed and Looted and set fires to dwellings helped in destroying that city. Mississippi - Biloxi, for one - that place was destroyed by the actual Hurricane.

So who should shoulder the blame? The Mayor of NOLA, the Gov of La, and the citizens of NOLA need to all step up and say we F***ed up...now lets fix it and stop pointing fingers all around!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Sep 7 2005, 07:04 PM

People chose to stay. They KNEW a CAT 5 (at the time) Hurricane was headed straight for them. They made the decision not to leave.

So who should shoulder the blame? The Mayor of NOLA, the Gov of La, and the citizens of NOLA need to all step up and say we F***ed up...now lets fix it and stop pointing fingers all around!
My thoughts exactly.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
There are many fingers that need to be pointed, and while the rebuilding begins the ones that had the fingers being pointed at need to think about what to do to prepare for the next one.

Where did the law enforcement go that was at the Superdome?
Why wasn't the National Guard brought in before the storm hit?
Why didn't the NG drop a team in after the storm, secured a LZ and then drop food and more personnel?
Why didn't the same helicopters take the sick out?

What happened at the hospitals?
Why weren't the hospitals better prepared?

As mentioned earlier, why was the evacuation vehicles (buses) not put in higher ground?

Okay, I'll stop there. My list is VERY long.

Summit

Critical Crazy
So many failures... so many questions... all levels...

OP
OP
C

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
If you noticed, the former FEMA Director James Lee Witt was appointed by th LA governor to run the LA disaster recovery. Reports have been stated that Mr. Witt has accomplished in 2-3 days what the current FEMA Director accomplished in 10 days. Something tells me Mr. Witt will likely be asked to head FEMA once again to put it back on track.

-Captain