Should I go into EMS???

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Who needs the guts and gore?

If the reason you are getting involved in EMS is to make a difference in people's lives, you do not even need gun shot wounds, multi-system traumas and codes to do that. For many people you make a huge difference in their life just by showing up. Sometimes all your patients need is someone to listen to them. I have more rewarding experiences treating psych patient than other cool things. I had a CPR save and a childbirth in my first year, very uncommon. Very rewarding, but rare. Meeting some of these people you get in the back of your ambulance is amazing. The feeling you get when someone you leave gives you a sincere thank you, is irresplaceable. Its not the thanks for passing the bread or thanks for giving me a ride to school. Its a thank you for showing up when I thought I was having a real emergency.

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
If the reason you are getting involved in EMS is to make a difference in people's lives, you do not even need gun shot wounds, multi-system traumas and codes to do that. For many people you make a huge difference in their life just by showing up. Sometimes all your patients need is someone to listen to them. I have more rewarding experiences treating psych patient than other cool things. I had a CPR save and a childbirth in my first year, very uncommon. Very rewarding, but rare. Meeting some of these people you get in the back of your ambulance is amazing. The feeling you get when someone you leave gives you a sincere thank you, is irresplaceable. Its not the thanks for passing the bread or thanks for giving me a ride to school. Its a thank you for showing up when I thought I was having a real emergency.

On a side note. Isn't it quite pathetic how amazing it feels on the rare occasion we're complimented?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
On a side note. Isn't it quite pathetic how amazing it feels on the rare occasion we're complimented?

Yah, it kinda is. But, at least it's a cheap high for me :p

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Alot of our patients thank us. A patient saying thank you has pretty much no effect for alot of people here. We just say "your welcome" and then forget that they said it.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Alot of our patients thank us. A patient saying thank you has pretty much no effect for alot of people here. We just say "your welcome" and then forget that they said it.

I guess I'm just weird then

crazycajun

Forum Captain
I guess I'm just weird then

You're not weird. EMT's and Medics that do not appreciate comments and feedback from their patients usually don't last long in EMS. A huge part of this job is being compassionate and caring. Too many people seem to forget that and I personally think that causes many of the problems in EMS today. If we all could learn to treat each patient like they were the most important person we have ever met the general consensus of the public would change. Remember, a new mom's baby who has a cough, a senior who has some anxiety, a 30 yo male who has a strange feeling in his chest, a child that needs 2 stitches or a 23 yo female who has a minor burn may not be a big deal for us but to the patient it is an emergency. They called 911 for help and it is our job to do just that HELP. So the next time that patient says thank you remember, to them, you just came to their rescue and saved the day even though it was no big deal to you.

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
You're not weird. EMT's and Medics that do not appreciate comments and feedback from their patients usually don't last long in EMS. A huge part of this job is being compassionate and caring. Too many people seem to forget that and I personally think that causes many of the problems in EMS today. If we all could learn to treat each patient like they were the most important person we have ever met the general consensus of the public would change. Remember, a new mom's baby who has a cough, a senior who has some anxiety, a 30 yo male who has a strange feeling in his chest, a child that needs 2 stitches or a 23 yo female who has a minor burn may not be a big deal for us but to the patient it is an emergency. They called 911 for help and it is our job to do just that HELP. So the next time that patient says thank you remember, to them, you just came to their rescue and saved the day even though it was no big deal to you.

I still get the warm fuzzies when someone thanks me.