sffd emt written test

OP
OP
C

CBRMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
anyone know what the test consists of? is a emt based test or math/verbal or both

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Written Examination (Pass/Fail): Candidates who are invited to participate in the selection process will take a pass/fail multiple-choice test to determine their relative knowledge in job-related areas, which may include, but are not limited to: procedures and practices in emergency medicine, and current EMT techniques in field and hospital settings. Candidates who pass the Written Examination will advance to subsequent components of the selection process.

Sounds like an EMT test.
My guess is a simple scantron test to test basic medical knowledge.
Knowing basic math never hurts.

Angel

Paramedic
not that anyone may know. but how does 'upgrading' work? i dont have 1000 hrs medic experience yet but i will in a couple months

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
As vacancies come up for medics, they are offered to paramedic qualified EMTs.

There is a process but am told that it does not take long, I'd imagine within a year or two.

With 25% of the suppression academies coming from Station 49, openings should be coming available often.

I am told they need to hire 70.

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
I'm told they work 10s and 12s, but does anyone know how many days a month you work? Curious as to what the potential for picking up overtime is.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Working 12s, Averages out to about 3 days on with 3 days off; rotating schedule. Some weeks you work that 2nd day (normally) off and some weeks get 4 days off in a row.

I believe about 15 shifts per month.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
As vacancies come up for medics, they are offered to paramedic qualified EMTs.

There is a process but am told that it does not take long, I'd imagine within a year or two.

With 25% of the suppression academies coming from Station 49, openings should be coming available often.

I am told they need to hire 70.

AMENDED:
The process to upgrade is automatic based on need as long as you hold appropriate certifications and keep your nose clean.

Upgrade is possible after probation (1 year) and trends have been 2 years at the most.

Possibility of having rules rewritten to allow for upgrade during L1 (EMT) probation after 6 months to meet needs.

The P-Card is the golden ticket for this process due to extremely low numbers currently as well as continued crossovers to suppression.

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
Hey shirtz thanks for the update. Do you know what the pay tops out at for EMT and medic, respectively?

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe somewhere around $80k and $110k respectively (L1/L2).

L3 get an additional $10k and a suppression schedule while still being able to pick up OT on the transport units.

Doesn't suck.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I believe somewhere around $80k and $110k respectively (L1/L2).

L3 get an additional $10k and a suppression schedule while still being able to pick up OT on the transport units.

Doesn't suck.

Pay is actually a bit higher than that.

Looking for an academy of 20~26 near March.

Last edited:

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Upgrades are as needed. Looks like the department will continue to hire full-timers as basics for the foreseeable future.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
@BeachMedic any chance theyll take my hours into account at the time of academy? =/ (so i can go in as a medic instead)
The announcement stated, only hiring for the L1 position. Seemed as though starting in the EMT role is the standard. There are many experienced medics working the EMT role.

Angel

Paramedic
I figured. I wasn't sure because the title had all 3 positions but test said (emt) oh well. Still a great job

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
One year goes by quickly... And helps you learn the system.... Not to mention, the EMT rate is a bug pay bump for most private transport medics.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
@Angel

Yeah we're only hiring full timers as EMTs for now. You can try the per deim opening but that looks like a **** show with no promises of a full time position in the foreseeable future.

In my class 30 out of 35 hired were medics. 3 of our actual EMTs also went to medic school and the other one is a nurse. You won't find a better paycheck for this job anywhere else. I wouldn't pass it up. We still have a good pension too. Turns the stepping stone job into an actual career.

Angel

Paramedic
I'm not! I almost did but said wtf am I thinking. I sent my app like 3 hrs before they closed so I'm excited to see where it goes. I was gonna say its worth it for the money but don't wanna seem one track minded

medic707

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the info beachmedic. Greatly appreciated. Do u happen to know the requirements to go over to the suppression side?