Scoop/Orthopedic stretcher/Butt pincher

Beegers

Forum Crew Member
A pic in case some forgot what it looks like from lack of use ;)

f_05-02-01_P.jpg

How often do you all use it? I have been doing this for 2.5 years now and I've just used it for its actual intended purpose for the first time today. (I've used it as additional siderails for a really really large patient).

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
All the time..

Covered a lot of nursing facilities, great for hip fractures. It's one of the more useful stretchers that is required by the commonwealth.

The most useless is the folding canvas stretcher as required by the commonwealth.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I've used it twice...both times for it's intended purpose.

Both patients had fallen and had probable hip fx....the scoop stretcher worked like a charm.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
We use it obviously for hip fractures, but there's a lot of little trailer parks in here, and we'll grab it for those when we can't get the regular stretcher to the pt.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I've used the scoop a hand full of times.

I have used the canvas stretcher or something along that lines the one I used was only half body length but it worked well to get the pt out of the small bathroom and out to the hallway to have a little more room for the regular backboard.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I use it quite often. Great for narrow hallways, grandma collapsed in the bathroom, someone you can't/don't want to roll - then you can carefully lift them onto a backboard rather than log rolling, etc. I like it. But not as much as I like the Reeves. :) I love to taco people. Taco taco!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a waste of space..

I have these on my caddy's, but most of them don't have wheels, if they have any legs at all, they are "U" shaped things.

Example:
Ever seen Funny Farm w/ Chevy Chase? They load the guy into the ****ty chevy station wagon w/ the red crosses on the doors. The stretcher they have the guy on is a Ferno funeral car stretcher. My father, the embalmer (I like to say that), have about a dozen of them. I'll have to take a picture if I can find one, they may be up in the barn rafters.

OP
OP
Beegers

Beegers

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 16 2005, 10:02 PM
Reeves is great...

This thing:

Folding_Stretcher.jpg

Sucks
I'm terrified of the reeves now as that was the contraption I was using when I hurt my back.

We have one of the secondary stretchers on my corps. The version we have doubles as a really bad stair chair. :(

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My squad used the "really bad stairchar / strecher" thing for years....we now had the nice stryker ones with the track.... REALLY NICE.

I've used the scoop a few times for its intended purpose.

most memorable....my check-ride at my current squad.... I was with the ops manager, and I said to use the scoop for the LOL who FDGB'd earlier without any pain, and was assisted to the couch... found supine on the couch with a lot of hip pain.... we ended up lifting the 100 lb LOL onto the scoop.... and it was Really nice at the ED to get her on the bed.... no pain at all.

The ops manager stated it was the first or second time in 15+ years he'd ever used a scoop. I got an A+, and was cleared to run right then and there.... :lol:

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Oct 16 2005, 08:04 PM
I love to taco people. Taco taco!
ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 16 2005, 10:05 PM
It's a waste of space..

I have these on my caddy's, but most of them don't have wheels, if they have any legs at all, they are "U" shaped things.

Example:
Ever seen Funny Farm w/ Chevy Chase? They load the guy into the ****ty chevy station wagon w/ the red crosses on the doors. The stretcher they have the guy on is a Ferno funeral car stretcher. My father, the embalmer (I like to say that), have about a dozen of them. I'll have to take a picture if I can find one, they may be up in the barn rafters.
This thing...

funnyfarmamb.jpg

OP
OP
Beegers

Beegers

Forum Crew Member
My ambulance corps won't be getting the stryker stair chair because a lot of our patients end up being carry ups with narrow stairs that the regular chairs just fit in.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Jb78emt@Oct 17 2005, 08:43 PM
My ambulance corps won't be getting the stryker stair chair because a lot of our patients end up being carry ups with narrow stairs that the regular chairs just fit in.
the stryker chair isn't really that much wider, just bigger for storage.... same with the Ferno chair. I think the Ferno chair might be a little smaller.

Try a demo... you will never want to go back ;)

Jon

OP
OP
Beegers

Beegers

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Oct 18 2005, 06:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Oct 18 2005, 06:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jb78emt@Oct 17 2005, 08:43 PM
the stryker chair isn't really that much wider, just bigger for storage.... same with the Ferno chair. I think the Ferno chair might be a little smaller.

Try a demo... you will never want to go back ;)

Jon [/b][/quote]
And a lot heavier. We looked into the strykers already. It will be a no go.A few stair wells that it might fit in here also has sharp turns. My city has extremely old buildings...

We have a few houses Behind houses (back in the day for servants and such).

I rode on 2 volly squads that use strykers. I do love them for going down stairs....HATE HATE HATE them going up.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
We use the scoop all the time. Or perhaps I should say, I use the scoop all the time, since I tend to be the one who suggests getting it out fairly often (and I usually get an attaboy from the officer on-scene for remembering and suggesting it). ;)

We probably run on 1-2 hip calls a month (fairly elderly population here), and I will almost always try to use the scoop for those. We've used them on a few minor falls (absent C-spine precautions) as well.

As for the stair chair, we just got one of the new Stryker ones with the stair treads, and yes, its bigger (had to find a new place to store it), but it really is a back saver. We probably use it a couple times a month too.

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Jb78emt said:
How often do you all use it?

FD uses it alot where I live. Remember that the contraindications are for back/spine unjury. Unfortunately, that doesnt keep FD from using it on those calls.

As a basic student on a ride-along I was them use a scoop to move a pt with a history of spinal trauma from gunshot wound from the bed to the stretcher. I would have used a sheet drag myself... but Im just a dumb student... what do I know?

I dont like the scoop. I havent run across a time when I would use it. I would probably use it for a dude who impaled himself on a vertical object that was in the ground like a wrought iron fence. That way I could get around both sides to stabilize while the earth was dug out from beneath him. Cool huh?

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
We still use our scoops, in fact they and the inverted KED our the only 2 ways we are allowed to move a hip fracture pt. We can't even use a LSB unless it is a pelvic and femur frac, or if the obvious neck/back trauma is involved.

The state still teaches the use of the scoop here too, and since we are a semi poor state we have to use things that are cheap. But hey they do work great for what we use 'em for.