School Nurse Wanna Be's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
- Nope, because it is law that a RN have a Bachelor's to be a School Nurse in most cases, and in those early years, that education usually consists of communication and public speaking classes.

Please please please provide me with that law.

- But is the Paramedic responsible for up to over a thousand people at one time ?
I have. I worked a rave where another Paramedic and I were the highest medical providers on scene.

But let's be honest here, what's the difference between being responsible for 1000 students in a college, and 100,000 people in a county?

- Again we go back to it was just an opinion, stop trying to tell me I can't form one when I don't have the degree.

Not questioning your right to have an opinion...but don't be shocked that people with the education you're dismissing come and question the basis of your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
No, your original post questions an EMS provider functioning in the same capacity that a 'school nurse' does, and acting in a 'primary care' type of way.

Not a single mention about calling themselves something they are not.

something very wrong with an EMT-B functioning as a School Nurse or Camp Nurse, I wouldn't even put a Paramedic in this job because they aren't a "nurse"
My full intention, when they function as a School Nurse, when they should as a School Medic. Do you really think primary care is where EMS belongs ? Hence the "E" ?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
- Nope, because it is law that a RN have a Bachelor's to be a School Nurse in most cases, and in those early years, that education usually consists of communication and public speaking classes.
- But is the Paramedic responsible for up to over a thousand people at one time ? Not to mention the Nurse has little to none of the equipment used for interventions on the rig, so that again would put the Paramedic out of their comfort zone.
- Again we go back to it was just an opinion, stop trying to tell me I can't form one when I don't have the degree.

My degree in EMS included public speaking classes...

No, they have a duty to 1,000 people, they are not responsible for them, the school administration is. The nurse will mostly be dealing with one student at a time, ergo cutting their responsibility down to 1. However, if they are responsible for 1,000 people at a time because that's how many are in the school, then by that measure I would be responsible for about 18,750 people every time I head to shift.

So are you saying that as a paramedic I am completely useless without my equipment?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Do you really think primary care is where EMS belongs ? Hence the "E" ?

Honestly? I wish people weren't stupid and used 911 for what it was intended: Life threatening emergencies. However, that's not the case.

EMS is filling in a gap by doing exactly what the public has been using it as for decades, as primary care outside of a doctor. We're just now progressing education to match that need. I see no issues with EMS going that route, "E" or not.

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
My degree in EMS consisted of public speaking classes...

No, they have a duty to 1,000 people, they are not responsible for them, the school administration is. The nurse will mostly be dealing with one student at a time.

So are you saying that as a paramedic I am completely useless without my equipment?
But I bet they didn't focus on it in the pre-medical studies ? Besides, there are again those certificates out there where they get little to none.
- They are certainly responsible along with the administration for the health of the students, thats why they were hired.
- No, but, you are going to be out of your element. The school nurse already has the certificate and specialized training for the job.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Stop trying to tell me how I felt, when you don't know. I wasn't trying to tell you about your jobs, I was simply saying that EMT's can't say they are RN's. Simple and plain as that. Also, they don't have the education to provide the best care in that setting. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't know what being a CNA student has to do with it, but if that is trying to be a "low blow", considered it nothing.

I'm curious. Did the person providing care, at any point, say 'I'm a nurse"? You say:

Happy said:
Okay, so why when I am at a local camp or school function, and I look to see the First-Aid tent and clinic center. I start to talk to the person giving care, and come to find out they are an EMT-B!

It seems like the provider identified themselves as an EMT-B, not a nurse. Why is this a big deal? You're talking about 'first aid tents', these are locations where a person might require a band-aid or some form of basic life support, a skill that most EMT-Bs are uniquely qualified to perform. Seems like a no brainer to me. :rolleyes:

Of course, if that EMT is wearing a lapel pin that says "RN" or is walking around with an orange vest emblazoned with "SCHOOL NURSE", I might have a problem.

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
For the OP:

Are you aware that not all EMS personnel who post here work soley on an ambulance? That was rhetorical and meant to get you to think about where you are and who posts here.

Ask some of the aussie medics about snake bite care, it is the best in the world that I have seen.

Ask me about Cholera and wound care.

Got any South Africans running around? They are Independant Practitioners.

Talk to some of the Paramedics who work in the North Sea.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
But I bet they didn't focus on it in the pre-medical studies ? Besides, there are again those certificates out there where they get little to none.
- They are certainly responsible along with the administration for the health of the students, thats why they were hired.
- No, but, you are going to be out of your element. The school nurse already has the certificate and specialized training for the job.

Care to define what you mean by "pre-medical studies"? If you're talking math, writing, psych, and so on...then yes, they did focus on that.

So then by that measure I'm responsible for 18,750 people when I'm on shift.

I am failing to see how a paramedic who is trained to assess someone with diagnostic equipment would be out of their element anymore than an RN who is trained to use that same equipment (and then some) would be out of theirs. They are both taught to assess someone and care for them without that fancy equipment prior to learning how to do so with all the gadgets and doodads, so what's the difference?

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I'm curious. Did the person providing care, at any point, say 'I'm a nurse"? You say:

It seems like the provider identified themselves as an EMT-B, not a nurse. Why is this a big deal? You're talking about 'first aid tents', these are locations where a person might require a band-aid or some form of basic life support, a skill that most EMT-Bs are uniquely qualified to perform. Seems like a no brainer to me. :rolleyes:

Of course, if that EMT is wearing a lapel pin that says "RN" or is walking around with an orange vest emblazoned with "SCHOOL NURSE", I might have a problem.

The underlined is exactly what happened. I began talking to them because I have goals to get an RN degree, so I was going to converse with them about their route. Then they said, "Nope, I'm an EMT-B." They had a pin that said School Nurse, which I am pretty sure is illegal in my state.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Keep it polite and on topic or it's getting closed.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
They had a pin that said School Nurse, which I am pretty sure is illegal in my state.
Care to cite which law that is? A link would be helpful.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
I would like all of my questions addressed by the OP. I would like links to mainstream websites to back up the OP's claims and statements.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Care to cite which law that is? A link would be helpful.

For California, Business and Professions code contains the following:
2795. Except as provided in this chapter, it is unlawful for any person to do any of the following: (a) To practice or to offer to practice nursing in this state unless the person holds a license in an active status. (b) To use any title, sign, card, or device to indicate that he or she is qualified to practice or is practicing nursing, unless the person has been duly licensed or certified under this chapter.
Emphasis added.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=02001-03000&file=2795-2800

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I'm still waiting on this one;
The first link is to show that Nurses must go through a certification to become a School Nurse to further their education. Now, when going to school to get certified, it clearly states the program is intended for BSN nurses only. So if you must have the certificate, and you must have a BSN to do the program and get a certificate, you must be a BSN to be a School Nurse.
http://wvasn.com/certification.cfm
http://www.ab.edu/academics/nursing

Status
Not open for further replies.