Schedule ideas/suggestions

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Trying to tap brains of all y’all fine folk. Here are the details.

4 crews
24 hours max
No Kelly days
Hourly wage

Goal is to eliminate the 12 that is currently sprinkled in.

How can we maximize 24 hour shifts or is it simply not gonna happen?

24/72 while sexy does not work. lol

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
going to be nearly impossible. 12s on a pittman schedule has the same staffing requirements as 24/72, and if you want to get ride of 12s, you will need to hire more staff.

Also, do you need 24 hour coverage, or just bankers hours?

OP
OP
akflightmedic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Open to input of anything. Seeing if there is something I have not encountered before.

Number of crew is not going to change. Number of shifts not changing.

So what else is out there? Might be something fun to try out.

OP
OP
akflightmedic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
For more context this is 4 flight crews. Low volume. But cannot exceed 24 hour shift.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My company primarily, 24 hour based HEMS, uses a XOXOOOOO pattern. Each base is covered with 4 crews. The 5 days off is amazing as you don’t have to use vacation time much and you can easily fit in another job if you would like. Only downside is you will occasionally get a paycheck with 3 shifts on it due to the rotating pattern.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
For more context this is 4 flight crews. Low volume. But cannot exceed 24 hour shift.
Low volume? the answer is 24/72s. My old FD did this, and they loved it. They were slow enough to get a good nights sleep, and still ensured proper coverage.

Why does 24/72 not work for you?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
My company primarily, 24 hour based HEMS, uses a XOXOOOOO pattern. Each base is covered with 4 crews. The 5 days off is amazing as you don’t have to use vacation time much and you can easily fit in another job if you would like. Only downside is you will occasionally get a paycheck with 3 shifts on it due to the rotating pattern.
Best effing schedule in 20 plus years. Hands down. That said, I am missing being in my own bed every night more and more as I grow older.

OP
OP
akflightmedic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Low volume? the answer is 24/72s. My old FD did this, and they loved it. They were slow enough to get a good nights sleep, and still ensured proper coverage.

Why does 24/72 not work for you?

It doesn’t March out as hourly employees relative to paycheck size and hours worked.

Sat midnight to sat midnight a 24/72 creates a HUGE mess when you March it out.

OP
OP
akflightmedic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

Can you tell me more, in PM if needed. Which company are you with? And how are you doing this schedule exactly? I filled out a few months of rotations for a visual, then counted the hours per week, etc. Seems like a large variance.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Can you tell me more, in PM if needed. Which company are you with? And how are you doing this schedule exactly? I filled out a few months of rotations for a visual, then counted the hours per week, etc. Seems like a large variance.
Air Methods. The schedule is exactly as written XOXOOOOO. 24 hour shifts with each base having 4 crews. Each week the days you work gets pushed back by a single day. So if I work Monday/Wednesday this week then next week I will work Tuesday/Thursday.

Most paychecks will have 4 shifts on it if you do biweekly pay but there are some paychecks with only 3 shifts on it due to how the schedule rotates.

OP
OP
akflightmedic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Air Methods. The schedule is exactly as written XOXOOOOO. 24 hour shifts with each base having 4 crews. Each week the days you work gets pushed back by a single day. So if I work Monday/Wednesday this week then next week I will work Tuesday/Thursday.

Most paychecks will have 4 shifts on it if you do biweekly pay but there are some paychecks with only 3 shifts on it due to how the schedule rotates.
Maybe I am doing something wrong?? I cannot find my error yet.

Pay period starts at 0001 Sunday and ends 2359 Saturday. So it is creating some wide hourly variances. (I think)

OP
OP
akflightmedic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Example...the pay period of 2/25 - 3/9

I have A shift with 80 hours, B with 96, C and D with 64. I am having total brain fart here LOL....and gonna reconfirm some info given to me because this just doesn't seem right with the pay periods.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We did that for a while at one of the HEMS programs I worked with quite a few years ago. We were salaried so our paychecks were the same every time. It was pretty awesome.

They eventually tired of paying us for hours not worked and we went to a more complicated schedule that included both 24's and 12's which wasn't bad, but kind of sucked by comparison.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

I have A shift with 80 hours, B with 96, C and D with 64. I am having total brain fart here LOL....and gonna reconfirm some info given to me because this just doesn't seem right with the pay periods.
Any way to change the pay period time to 7 or 8 or whenever am shift change is? It would resolve the confusing hours. That would balance out.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

The paychecks do equal out to some random hours on them however everyone’s yearly hours equal out due to the rotating schedule. So if you filled out that same shift pattern for an entire year, all shifts should be fairly close to the same.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Not sure if this is an option for you, but we just get get paid the same amount every check unless we work OT. Trades, vacation, sick, it does doesn’t matter, always the same amount.

24/72, what Desert said, or XOOXXXX are great schedules.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I am exploring this.
I thought my old schedule was nice, but a 4-day rotation in hindsight seems dreadful. Guess you adapt either way, and if you really want the job that bad…

Also, if you put in for PTO on just your two normally scheduled days you end up with 2 weeks off so as @DesertMedic66 mentioned, you don’t necessarily have to burn a lot of PTO. It is pretty remarkable. Either way, keep us posted on what schedule you end up going with.

OP
OP
akflightmedic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Well....after receiving bad info from three different people, I finally got the right info. And NOW, the schedule does work! LOL
I just knew those payroll cutoff times were shyte, and it didn't make sense, however I could only go on what I was told and keep questioning until it made sense.

Presenting to others now for review and discussion.