Scene Safety!?!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
After a crappy morning yesterday, we thought HECK, it has to get better.

So about 1800 last night we get sent for a breathing problems at a store that is a National Retail Chain. Dipatch info is 18 y/o F, hx of asthma, in breakroom with severe breathing difficulties. Nothing further.

When we arrive on scene we are greeted by a panic-stricken employee telling us she has passed out and they are back on the phone with 911. So we make our way to the back, and sure enough she is laid out on the cold cement floor. She is conscious, but breathing very fast, not asthma attack, but panic attack fast. My medic starts talking to her to get her to slow down and as he does I kind of look around to see if anybody there can tell us what happened to get her like she is, and to find out if she fell where she was or if they laid her there. As I do, I smell something funny. I look beyond my partner to the corner and am like, HEY Bri...check that out.

The Microwave was on fire! The FF that were there with us were like OH OH...FIRE!!, and I never seen those guys move that fast unless food or nap time was involved. I looked at the employees and was like...Umm..Whats that. They were like, OH Yea, theres a fire in our breakroom too.:wacko:

Our patient had put a Wendys hamburger in the microwave and the metal in it had caused a fire in the microwave. She paniced, screamed and began hyperventlating. Everyone heard her scream, saw her having breathing problems, saw the fire....and when they called 911, they somehow FORGOT TO TELL THEM ABOUT THE FIRE!! It was all I could do to keep it together. How do you Forget to metion the fire in the breakroom??? :rolleyes: :unsure: :p :lol:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Oops....... ;)

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
TTLWHKR said:
Tha's prolly what she said.....

Actually....I think she said more...

AAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
rcmedic said:
Aren't you supposed to check the scene before going in? :p

Yep. You sure are. And I guess from now on i will double check to ensure the scene isn't ON FIRE before going in....

kind of like..

HI! Im with EMS. Your house/business/whatever isn't on fire is it?? ok then, We are here to help.:rolleyes:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Great post!

National Retail Chain... She's definitely "Putting it to the man"

Princess, there are few things I can count on in life. I know Monday's suck, I have to pay taxes, and no matter where Princess is, trouble will follow. :)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
EMTPrincess said:
Yep. You sure are. And I guess from now on i will double check to ensure the scene isn't ON FIRE before going in....

kind of like..

HI! Im with EMS. Your house/business/whatever isn't on fire is it?? ok then, We are here to help.:rolleyes:

"Uh, if your house is on fire.. uh.. we're like, closed.. or something. Bye!" :-D

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:lol: That's hilarious!

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
ALWAYS check the scene for any potential hazards or threats prior to going in. Tunnel vision can wreak havoc real quick.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
MMiz said:
Great post!

National Retail Chain... She's definitely "Putting it to the man"

Princess, there are few things I can count on in life. I know Monday's suck, I have to pay taxes, and no matter where Princess is, trouble will follow. :)
Wal-Mart, anyone?

Maybe it was K-Mart...???

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
OLD NAVY.

It was FAAARRRR to tempting to do a little shopping while my medic got what he needed for the refusal. They had a killer sale happening and a couple REALLY CUTE skirts!!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
TTLWHKR said:
Blue light special...

Umm, wouldn't that be the Red and Blue light special?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
TTLWHKR said:
Kmart.......

I was thinking of the lights on the rig.