Scenario question

rescue13

Forum Probie
Your PT is 44 y/o found indoors after working in the garden on a hot day. Vitals R32 P128 BP88/56 with hot dry skin. You should

OP
OP
rescue13

rescue13

Forum Probie
I would but my book won't answer me? LOL

JPINFV

Gadfly
We'll take the physical exam.

14261FamilyDoubleDare.jpg

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Kick whoever made this scenario so stereotypical?

Edit: I don't mean that there isn't more than one thing that could cause that presentation, but seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Edit: I don't mean that there isn't more than one thing that could cause that presentation, but seriously.

Since we don't know how long the patient has been inside, if you want to go with the obvious answer then there's 2 obvious possibilities.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Just a quick clarification. This question was originally posted as a homework question complete with the 4 choice answers. In light of our rule of not posting test questions, it was changed to what is in this thread.

OP
OP
rescue13

rescue13

Forum Probie
I know the scenario stinks but this is all I have. This is right out of the book.

OP
OP
rescue13

rescue13

Forum Probie
They want to know what is the most appropriate care for this PT when you arrive after your first impression.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hot day + working outside + skin signs + the fact it's an EMT book = pretty much one thing... Cool the patient

OP
OP
rescue13

rescue13

Forum Probie
That is what I selected but the options which I can't post are not that clear. It gave a lot of very vague options. Thanks for your help.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
They want to know what is the most appropriate care for this PT when you arrive after your first impression.

At what level? ALS/ILS or BLS?

If you've got access and the fact that this is out of an EMT book I'd say at the ALS/ILS level IV and fluid challenge. Recheck his vitals and lung sounds after every 500 or 20ml/kg if you really want an exact book answer.

Cool him down if he's really that hot.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That is what I selected but the options which I can't post are not that clear. It gave a lot of very vague options. Thanks for your help.

I read the options before the post was edited. 2 of the 4 options said only oxygen. I would have gone with the other choice of fanning and wet sheet.

OP
OP
rescue13

rescue13

Forum Probie
I'm in second semester EMTIV. You are correct on cooling the PT but on the multiple choice you 2 answers that could be correct and 2 that are wrong. The 2 possible correct answers are not the best options we would go for in the field.

OP
OP
rescue13

rescue13

Forum Probie
I agree

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Congrats, you've figured out that what the book says and what actually happens in the field don't always match.

OP
OP
rescue13

rescue13

Forum Probie
Man is that ever a true statement!!!!