Scanners

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
Well i know that alot of you hear enough of the dispatchers during your shift, but any of you just listen to the scanners and listen whats going around the country or your own city?

I just found a pretty sweet website were you can listen to different counties, and alot of it is pretty cool to listen to check it out.

www.scanamerica.us

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
We scan during our shift because 99% of the time the Fire Dept is dispatched before we are. Once you know where the fire districts are, you generally know what districts you are going to be responding to based on your post. It gives us an extra 20 seconds to take one last bite, put your book away, or wake up before our ambulance dispatch sends us on the call.

OP
OP
Micro_87

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
We scan during our shift because 99% of the time the Fire Dept is dispatched before we are. Once you know where the fire districts are, you generally know what districts you are going to be responding to based on your post. It gives us an extra 20 seconds to take one last bite, put your book away, or wake up before our ambulance dispatch sends us on the call.

actually i meant that you listen to police,fire,ems scanner at home....lol not the one in your rig

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

I listen at home for basic the same reasons

1. I'm SAR. Usualy Fire and/or the deputies get diapatched out first. Once a deputy gets on scene and says, "Yep, SAR is needed", 30 minutes have passed. If I here the call out of the corner of my ear, I know taht we might be going, I get my gear thrown in my care, get dressed, and start toward the SAR Cache. If I get to the Cache and no page, then it was a nice drive. If I get paged, I'm in a position to ready the gear and trucks for the mission so that we don't waste time when others show up.

2. I live in a wildfire prone area (think So. Cal Wildfire's), so I like toknow what's burning near my town for safety safe.

3. Sad as it is, I sleep better with the normal background chatter I got used to on Ambulance. :blush:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
yes I listen at home. I like to know whats going on.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
It gives us an extra 20 seconds to take one last bite, put your book away, or wake up

Given the choice, I'll trade all the above for the chance to visit the WC before the tones drop...lol (and yes, I do listen. My scanner is next to my computer with a small antenna on the windowsill to improve the reception)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I listen at work, because fire gets better information than we do, and they get dispatched first.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Nope. When off duty I have nothing to do with EMS. If you do not learn to just walk away at the end of your shift EMS will ruin your life. So my advice is delete that site from your favorites and get a hobby, spend time with family and friends, do not think or speak EMS when off duty.

OP
OP
Micro_87

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
Nope. When off duty I have nothing to do with EMS. If you do not learn to just walk away at the end of your shift EMS will ruin your life. So my advice is delete that site from your favorites and get a hobby, spend time with family and friends, do not think or speak EMS when off duty.

i do have many hobbies but its still a lil to cold to ride the motorcycle..but i think listening to whats going on around us is a great thing to do...but everyone is different

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Ive got a Scanner in my truck that I just keep on whenever I drive. Listen to any Ambulance calls, Fire Calls that might come in, and just the plain stupid on the Police Band.

But like said Above also, I have State/County/Local frequencies also for my SAR organization.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I use to listen to my local PD all the time but ever since they got the tough books in the cars there isn't much radio traffic anymore.

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
I use to listen to my local PD all the time but ever since they got the tough books in the cars there isn't much radio traffic anymore.

Your cops actually use those toughbooks for work? Wow, thats impressive. Here they use them to play Poker or watch YouTube. Lol

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
I listen to my pager on county scan. Only for the reason I can hear the other 2 stations close to me calls, so I can hear if it is going to be bad enough for my station to get called for it. That way I am more prepared and en route to the station if I feel it will be bad. Other than that I have other things to do, visit my family or friends.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief

Have to agree with you. Can't think of anything more sad than getting all hot and bothered over "activated CO alarm", or "elderly male sick" when sitting at home.

Family first when off duty.