Say goodbye to your career

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

aidan

Forum Crew Member
:blush: I'm a frequent flyer over at SDN. The ER physician that started this thread is one of the mods over there - he starts all kinds of controversial threads to get good discussion going..

Imo, I don't think we should start by making big changes, like less education or more education.. we need a well designed study that holistically analyzes EMS.. not to exploit it and tear it apart, but to critique it, find weak points, and work from the inside out..

There are some big factors that go into changing the whole system like people are suggesting. Currently, volunteers play a BIG role in the demands for, and the salaries of, EMTs and Paramedics (mostly EMTs). Since there are a TON of volunteers, (in my area, 911 EMTs are only volunteers) there isn't much need to pay EMTs well or to even give them a job in the first place.

Not that I'm condemning volunteers - volunteering time and risking onesself for others is very noble. But in a hierarchical/capitalist aspect.. it is a big set back for 1. EMTs getting more education, and 2. EMTs getting paid more.

If we raise the bar, and require EMTs to have more schooling, there will (probably) be less volunteers, due to volunteers not wanting to go through the schooling, just to volunteer. Where I'm at, we have an EMT-B class that takes four weeks. One could enroll in it, pass it, sit for the NREMT, and be a certified EMT-B in less than two months...for like $100-300.

What this post was pointing out is the need to study the duties of EMS and see how much they actually impact the patient in the end. I think that's where we should be going..