Save the Medic, or Spare the Family?

imadriver

Forum Crew Member
From the Eyes of a Basic partnered with a Medic: (And sorry for the length)

So you are dispatched to a Cardiac Arrest. When you arrive, LEO's and FF's are just pulling up a couple blocks ahead of you. No CPR has been started when you walk in. It's a elderly (90ish) male, very little if no rigor, fixed pupils at about 3mm, no lividity, not cold but not warm to the touch, pale-ish, no cyanosis. Patient has an extensive history of cancers, heart problems, and just about everything else. A very large Living Will, and No DNR. You hook him up to the monitor, and it's asystole, You get a decent size rhythm strip. Medic tells fire they can leave, Fire Leaves, tells you to call the death on the radio. You confirm with him he wants you to call death on the radio. You do, they give time.

You, the Medic, and a LEO are standing in the room, family is in the other room talking with another LEO. You glance at the monitor, and notice a bumb. PEA of about one every 15 or so seconds now. And the same time, the LEO standing there says that Fire said they just ran this guy a few hours ago on a fall call. In which he was transported by EMS. We ask the family how long ago was he seen. And they are distraught but very calm, and can't answer clearly. The Patients death has been expected for some time at this point.
But, you do find out that he was release from the hospital only 30 minutes prior to time of call.

--- Now the question. What would you do?
Stick with the Death? Call med control? Run it? or What else?

ALSO NOTE: (as discovered from my other post, that this isnt' normal?) This is a system that runs code regularly to the hospital. And I believe if they are showing anything but a flat line, and at least Three "sure signs of death". then you are suppose to run it as a full cardiac arrest.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I just have to ask... 3 obvious signs of death? I thought they were called obvious signs of death because... y'know its obvious they're dead.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
And they are distraught but very calm, and can't answer clearly. The Patients death has been expected for some time at this point.

I think this might answer any questions.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
This is why in the presence of signs of obvious death I do not put the patient on the monitor. What is it going to show, asystole? Right. And ya know what? There's a protocol for that. So then you're back to just using your obvious signs of death to document why you didn't work the arrest.

If you absolutely have to put the monitor on because of your backwards system policy, so be it, but for goodness' sake, don't *leave* it on!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This is why in the presence of signs of obvious death I do not put the patient on the monitor. What is it going to show, asystole? Right. And ya know what? There's a protocol for that. So then you're back to just using your obvious signs of death to document why you didn't work the arrest.

If you absolutely have to put the monitor on because of your backwards system policy, so be it, but for goodness' sake, don't *leave* it on!

This! We have to print an asystole strip with the DOA paperwork. I get my strip as quick as I can. :)

Sent from my iPhone.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why on earth would you run it? Who would benefit? the family who is already coping with the death, or the patient you possibly would bring back to suffer even more from cancer?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Does an "occasional bump" count as life. Nope.

Doing showcase CPR is another matter.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Rip

OP
OP
I

imadriver

Forum Crew Member
Now, let me first say I completely agree, and that's what we tried to do.

This situation was given to me and a Medic I work with every so often, and I was Trying to make sure he was alright with what he was doing. At the time, I calculated that the patient only had (per our protocol) One "sure sign of death", and a few others that were right on the fence. So I knew he would of had to document this just right as to not be reamed. Then once the PEA happen, I looked at him and said, "I don't want to, but I think we may have to run this."... So he called a doc, and the doc said run it even though we tried and tried to get him to leave it.

So, we called back fire, gave them a slight brief and told them to "make it look good and not much else, okay?" and luckily they understood it.

I just felt so bad for multiple reasons. As per my job, I feel bad that I should of said we need to run this right at the start. As per a human being, I felt that we should just let him rest. and As a partner I felt horrible dragging it our before I did anything and making my Medic second guess anything.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Couldnt you just get the poa to say not to run it?

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

imadriver

Forum Crew Member
We have to run it unless there is a valid DNR. No other reasons are valid. And it had to be presented to us at the time of call in person, and be on a legal yellow sheet of paper.

EDIT: Let me add that the family planned for this, but unfortunately, we (EMS) can't use the Living Will they put so much time into.

atropine

Forum Captain
Turn off the monitor, I mean if your the only medic then no one elese can legally inturput what they think they saw, easy enough problem fixed.:rolleyes:

Sasha

Forum Chief
How tragic you couldnt respect his dying wishes...

He was dead. All you did was violate his body and mess with the families emotions in a futile effort to bring him back to his suffering.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
This was a tough situation. It's very easy for us to look at the situation and say what we would have done but the fact of the matter is that you were the one there. You did what you felt you had to do. EMS is just one of those fields where you are going to have to make some tough calls. Would it have been better for the family if you hadn't worked it, maybe but the results ended up being the same. The man should have had a DNR drawn up but he didn't. Don't beat yourself up over this just learn from it and move on.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
That's why my monitor is turned off after I get my strip. It's fairly common to see random electrical rhythms even after clinical death has been called. But you also have to be sure.. as I've seen "rigor" and "pooling" in living people. (Granted, asystole makes it fairly obvious...)

Have I run the questionable CPR? Yes. But I try to avoid it.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
That's an appalling thing for a doctor to make you do. Interfering with a corpse is criminal.

And it's not really even PEA. Those big, wide, occasional bumps are only there because a few cells that have automaticity haven't got the memo about being dead yet. I'm with the others: strip gets got, monitor gets turned off. If there's a few FLBs there, monitor gets turned off while I talk to the family, then I come back and get a strip when things have settled down.

Thank the FSM I don't have medical control dictating my actions!

Missedcue

Forum Crew Member
This was a tough situation. It's very easy for us to look at the situation and say what we would have done but the fact of the matter is that you were the one there. You did what you felt you had to do. EMS is just one of those fields where you are going to have to make some tough calls. Would it have been better for the family if you hadn't worked it, maybe but the results ended up being the same. The man should have had a DNR drawn up but he didn't. Don't beat yourself up over this just learn from it and move on.

I agree, this is a really tough situation for you and your partner. I wish more people would get their end of life affairs in order. We have a frequent flyer who's in his late 90's with a laundry list of medical issues, and he's a full code. I REALLY don't want to get that call when he goes.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Anytime you call most docs they will say "Treat".

Covers their butts.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
One beat maybe every 15 seconds? Ugh. Too bad the medic didn't have the wherewithal to just turn the monitor off either after printing the strip or, hell, as soon as you saw a little blip here and there. Once a patient has been pronounced, they're dead. You don't go back on a pronouncement unless the patient has a pulse somehow develops a pulse.

You're probably pretty lucky the family is clueless, because if it were me, I'd be livid, which would mean I'd be strongly considering lawyering-up (I'd be after the medical director and the doc on the other end of the phone more than anyone).